LG OLED C8 TV owners and discussion

I am using HDMI ARC and roble was saying that he got audio drop outs with optical too.
I reckon that LG have used a smaller audio buffer somewhere in the 2018 series - that was my last comment to the "almost a techy" at LG - he's now gone off to speak to a more techie techie ;-)

No, my issue was audio drop outs from the Netflix and Prime apps whilst using an HDMI. I upgraded to a compliant HDMI and no problems anymore….

Just tried this for you. Not sure what you are seeing, But I see flashing with brightness at 50 and gamma 2.2. Put brightness up to 52 and the flashing goes. Brightness on 49 and 51 there is very slight flashing.

Brightness on 56 and gamma 2.4 - No flashing. <-This is what I have mine set at ATM. I do lose a bit of detail, But not too much so I'm happy with this setting for now.

Apart from the flashing though, It looks fine.

Thanks

Yeh it’s flashing quite badly - first time I’ve ever seen this, think my DV setting is at 49

This is my 5% screen.
20181219_174516.jpg
20181219_174409.jpg
20181219_174400.jpg
20181219_174516.jpg 20181219_174409.jpg 20181219_174400.jpg 20181219_174516.jpg 20181219_174409.jpg 20181219_174400.jpg

Looks good to me? Is the screen test built into the TV? :eek:
It is a calibration tool , it is not a test as such and if you have no issue with your tv steer clear off it... though that is as clean a 5% screen as most OLEDS show , it is misleading as i have V/BAND i can see when watching Football .

I honestly don’t see how you see banding in football on that
I quite agree but it is there .. but only on Sport when the camera pans.. but that makes up the vast majority of my viewing.. if not it would be no problem.

I'm going for it, going t pull the trigger on the LG 55C8PLA for 1519.00 via John Lewis, spent 4 weeks researching everything about these and QLED's and other OLED, seems the LG just ticks all the boxes regarding HDR, DV and 4 full fat HDMI's...
Hope i don't have any issues when i get it...

I quite agree but it is there .. but only on Sport when the camera pans.. but that makes up the vast majority of my viewing.. if not it would be no problem.
Very strange mate ,but if you see it ,you see it !!
What are you going to do now ?

I'm going for it, going t pull the trigger on the LG 55C8PLA for 1519.00 via John Lewis, spent 4 weeks researching everything about these and QLED's and other OLED, seems the LG just ticks all the boxes regarding HDR, DV and 4 full fat HDMI's...
Hope i don't have any issues when i get it...
Could I ask how you got that price from JL? Thanks.

Price matched by John Lewis because PRC direct was selling it for this price around ten days ago.
It was this or the Panny 802 for 1329.00.

Looks good to me? Is the screen test built into the TV? :eek:

Yes it is, but note you can't get the screen completely clear grey without that menu stuck on the bottom right. It's easy to use and you just press "back" on the remote or long-press the cog icon if you get stuck.

From a SDR picture mode which offers 20 point white adjustment (ISF Dark/Bright/Technicolour/Cinema), go to Expert Controls, White Balance.
Change "Method" to "20 points IRE"
Set "IRE" number to whatever the %age you want - eg 5 for a 5% grey slide
Set "Pattern" to "Inner" to display the slide, and set to "Outer" to hide it again.

The worst that can happen is that you leave "pattern" on "inner". Just to back into it and reset to "outer".

5% grey is very very dark indeed. It should look like a dark piece of Welsh slate, not like the bright light grey of a pigeon! :)
Some of the pictures posted here have the brightness or OLED Light whacked up much too high for it anything of a challenge for that 5% slide to show without bands.
You need a pitch black room, ISF Darkmode, OLED Light 35, Contrast 85, Brightness 50.
That's the test for banding on a panel.

NB these are consumer displays, not pro mastering monitors and no panel will be perfect! :)

So I've finally decided to join the LG OLED club. my 65C8 has been ordered from JL, delivery on Saturday. Managed to get it for £2189. Hope I don't regret it coming from The Samsung LCD Tv's. Judging by what you guys are saying its on a different level. Really looking forward to watching Dolby Vision stuff.

So I've finally decided to join the LG OLED club. my 65C8 has been ordered from JL, delivery on Saturday. Managed to get it for £2189. Hope I don't regret it coming from The Samsung LCD Tv's. Judging by what you guys are saying its on a different level. Really looking forward to watching Dolby Vision stuff.
I got mine on Friday and still love the picture quality on this, so I wouldn't worry. And I got my 65C8 from JL for £1650

Very strange mate ,but if you see it ,you see it !!
What are you going to do now ?
Not a clue .. i thought i had found a keeper JL has offered to do a swap .. but i am now sick and tired of the un/re boxing procedure.. it would be a Panasonic 802 .. but what if that comes with a new set of issues... for those who think there is something to gain by numerous returns , there is nothing unless you get some weird kick out of having a variety of boxes to come to your place for a short stay.

£2189, at that price i might be tempted, how did you manage that?

Welcome! There are two Dolby Vision demos built in to the TV. Find them in the Photos and Video app, Samples section.
There is a dolby app called "Dolby Access" which has many more free downloads in the App Shop ("LG Content Store" app).
Enjoy your beautiful TV :)

Also, yesterday I spotted the new Season of pictures has been added to the Gallery App.

Everyone download "White Winter" to get them!

Sorry if this has already been covered, I think it probably has (that’s the downside of having one massive behemoth of a thread, rather than making use of a perfectly good sub forum)...

But when watching Dolby vision has anyone had to turn down the brightness to below 50? The black levels are wrong on the out-of-the box Cinema home setting. The picture is washed out and even the black letter box bars are a little grey. Setting to 48 puts it right. Is this common, or an issue with my TV?

Sorry if this has already been covered, I think it probably has (that’s the downside of having one massive behemoth of a thread, rather than making use of a perfectly good sub forum)...

But when watching Dolby vision has anyone had to turn down the brightness to below 50? The black levels are wrong on the out-of-the box Cinema home setting. The picture is washed out and even the black letter box bars are a little grey. Setting to 48 puts it right. Is this common, or an issue with my TV?
IF you mean the likes of T.H.O.H.H that is washed out and then some.

There is variability between sets so yes you may need to drop down a few clicks on brightness to get full black, but it could also be content related.

Either way, Cinema Home should only really be used for daytime viewing, Cinema is the preset that is the most accurate out of the box.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom