LG OLED C8 TV owners and discussion

I was commenting on ASBL, not the content itself. But certainly on my C8, blacks were raised and washed out, but I'm seeing that on all kinds of Netflix DV content. Not sure if it's the content or the TV. It all seems washed out, lIke Waynej says, looks like watching it on a cheapo LCD
I can't really comment or test further as my C8 has been collected now. I was previously watching Daredevil Season 3 which is in DV, I thought this looked excellent, and blacks appeared black.

I didn't actually spot any content on Netflix labeled as HDR10, and given Hill House looks so much better with DV disabled, and some DV content looks correct in DV, then I just put this down to a Netflix issue.

I can't really comment or test further as my C8 has been collected now. I was previously watching Daredevil Season 3 which is in DV, I thought this looked excellent, and blacks appeared black.

I didn't actually spot any content on Netflix labeled as HDR10, and given Hill House looks so much better with DV disabled, and some DV content looks correct in DV, then I just put this down to a Netflix issue.

Yeah I'm thinking a Netflix issue. I am not sure when the change occurred though - because everything looked great on the C7, and it was only just over a month ago I was watching on that.

I've been watching Hill House on my C6 and C8 the blacks are better on my C6. But If I lower the brightness to 48 49 on the C8 then it is about the same.

Which is what I have been telling for ages. Its some incorrect metadata issue from Netflix which causes brightness to fluctuate.

If you have an external player just try forcing DV OFF so that it can send vanilla HDR10.

99% of the 4K UHD discs DV look fine on my C8 and is better than the HDR10 counterpart.

Panel variance is another factor we have to consider. On one TV default Brightness might look fine but in some we have to increase or decrease. My first C8, Brightness > 51 resulted in gray black bars and washed out in-scope image but on my second that happens only after Brightness > 56.
Netflix should get the beeb to do there DV , because it is supposedly a step up from HDR10-HLG ... yet T.H.O.H.H looks like Dogs do .. Dynasties is sublime PQ.

Sublime?

Despite all the discussion on macroblocking the only I have seen is on Dynasties, e.g. on ep3 with lions against the sky very significant artifacts. Even in HD the nature programs usually look good - near dark material is going to challenge both compression and OLED.

The audio is basic two channel and there is just one program in UHD (and only for a while I hear) - all for "only" £150 a year?? Iplayer is the only app to fail so far requiring a factory reset to recover.

Sublime?

Despite all the discussion on macroblocking the only I have seen is on Dynasties, e.g. on ep3 with lions against the sky very significant artifacts. Even in HD the nature programs usually look good - near dark material is going to challenge both compression and OLED.

The audio is basic two channel and there is just one program in UHD (and only for a while I hear) - all for "only" £150 a year?? Iplayer is the only app to fail so far requiring a factory reset to recover.

Huh? All episodes of Dynasties are currently available in the UK on BBC iPlayer, all in 4k UHD/HLG-HDR and until Tuesday 8th Jan.

Sublime?

It was sublime on the C8 i have at present ... it was as clear a Picture i have yet to see on any tv i have owned... how much a year do you think you pay for advertising that subsidise most other channels (unknown but a good few bob) and then we have SKY who you have to pay to watch adverts... as for the IPLAYER failing was this down to LG or the beeb ... you say they only have one programme in UHD but with that 1 progra mme they show just how good HDR can be .. also the 2018 WC was broadcast in HDR-HLG and was a massive step up in quality when compared to Sky Q HD -4k if anyone can see any noticeable difference , bless your eyesight.

Huh? All episodes of Dynasties are currently available in the UK on BBC iPlayer, all in 4k UHD/HLG-HDR and until Tuesday 8th Jan.

He meant one series when he said "program" (sic) - we are not America, we spell it "programme" in this country :). Five episodes of one series.

Can you guys have a look at Better Call Saul season 4 episode 4

44:12 onwards for around a minute when the camera is focused on Herman trout (the bald guy)

Any issues?

44:12 onwards for around a minute when the camera is focused on Herman trout (the bald guy)

Any issues?
I don't have access to that show but thanks for the laughs over Herman trout. Think I'll have that for dinner tomorrow :rotfl:

Any issues?

Just tried this for you. Not sure what you are seeing, But I see flashing with brightness at 50 and gamma 2.2. Put brightness up to 52 and the flashing goes. Brightness on 49 and 51 there is very slight flashing.

Brightness on 56 and gamma 2.4 - No flashing. <-This is what I have mine set at ATM. I do lose a bit of detail, But not too much so I'm happy with this setting for now.

Apart from the flashing though, It looks fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sublime?

HLG/UHD via iPlayer is still a trial so by its very nature is limited in scope and timespan. The BBC did state that they need to overcome some technical issues in order to provide 5.1 audio, but are working on it.

I had my c8 replaced yesterday because of bad banding..I’m pleased with my new set now in content I can’t see any banding at all

Attachments

• BD8736AF-E5EB-43F5-AEF9-00E0446D0A44.jpeg
    BD8736AF-E5EB-43F5-AEF9-00E0446D0A44.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
This forum has so many generously knowledgeable people - so thank you - I have learned much by lurking here for two years.

I have a two year old 55" B6V and a brand new 65" C8, both of which great TVs, having come from a 10 year old 42" Panasonic plasma.

For both sets I have used 5.1 speakers with Naim power amps, Marantz AV7702 MkII pre-processor + Humax Freesat HDR 1100S all with CAT 6 Ethernet !GB cable connections.

BUT, I have a couple of issues:
1) B6 seems to cope with black detail better than C8 which just gives a black background with no detail as is evidenced by the Netflix sign on screen in which I just cannot get the C8 to equal the B6 detail - see below: B6 first & C8 second
lgoledb6.JPG
lgoledc8.JPG

Any ideas you gurus? I have used both rtings ISF dark room & the new technicolour settings to no avail. The picture is superb on Dolby and HDR but was just thinking I may be missing something somewhere?

2) My main issue is Netflix & Amazon audio stuttering every 2-3 minutes - picture is fine.
I have raised an HDMI ARC issue with Richer sounds but they seem to have no solution.
The B6 never had this issue and the equipment used is the same.
The B6 is now moved to kitchen and the C8 replaces it in the sitting room.
The stutter does not occur on the internal speakers.
I am currently trying out an optical cable but my ignorance in how to set that up has stopped progress - calling Richer Sounds today for help. BUT the convenience of using HDMI ARC is where I really want to be. HELP! Any ideas?

This forum has so many generously knowledgeable people - so thank you - I have learned much by lurking here for two years.

I have a two year old 55" B6V and a brand new 65" C8, both of which great TVs, having come from a 10 year old 42" Panasonic plasma.

For both sets I have used 5.1 speakers with Naim power amps, Marantz AV7702 MkII pre-processor + Humax Freesat HDR 1100S all with CAT 6 Ethernet !GB cable connections.

BUT, I have a couple of issues:
1) B6 seems to cope with black detail better than C8 which just gives a black background with no detail as is evidenced by the Netflix sign on screen in which I just cannot get the C8 to equal the B6 detail - see below: B6 first & C8 second
View attachment 1098735 View attachment 1098736

Any ideas you gurus? I have used both rtings ISF dark room & the new technicolour settings to no avail. The picture is superb on Dolby and HDR but was just thinking I may be missing something somewhere?

2) My main issue is Netflix & Amazon audio stuttering every 2-3 minutes - picture is fine.
I have raised an HDMI ARC issue with Richer sounds but they seem to have no solution.
I am currently trying out an optical cable but my ignorance in how to set that up has stopped progress - calling Richer Sounds today for help. BUT the convenience of using HDMI ARC is where I really want to be. HELP! Any ideas?

1. It's a different splash screen. The C7 and C8 that I own both have the pure black background. In terms of near black detail loss, the 8 series should resolve a lot more than the 6. My C7 and C8 both show detail that was completely crushed on my old E6. I wuold suggest notching up the Brightness level a click or two until you just lose absolute black, then back down one, to get the black level as best you can without calibration.

2. Not sure, I have not had that happen to mine. Possibly a fault?

[/QUOTE]2) My main issue is Netflix & Amazon audio stuttering every 2-3 minutes - picture is fine.
I am currently trying out an optical cable but my ignorance in how to set that up has stopped progress - calling Richer Sounds today for help. BUT the convenience of using HDMI ARC is where I really want to be. HELP! Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

You need to upgrade your HDMI. I went for this and it did the trick, no more audio issues….
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B072B9R87R/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

I occasionally get audio drops using the built-in apps, outputting via optical. When it does happen, it will happen every few minutes or so, and the only solution for me is to turn off the TV and turn it back on again, and then all is fine.

I occasionally get audio drops using the built-in apps, outputting via optical. When it does happen, it will happen every few minutes or so, and the only solution for me is to turn off the TV and turn it back on again, and then all is fine.
But surely that is just not acceptable on a TV costing £2000+ - I have logged as an issue with LG and will report back. I was rather hoping that optical cable might be a solution - ah well.

Are you using a suitably spec´d HDMI cable?

Are you using a suitably spec´d HDMI cable?
It wouldn’t matter as he’s using the built-in apps and optical for audio....?

It wouldn’t matter as he’s using the built-in apps and optical for audio....?
I am using HDMI ARC and roble was saying that he got audio drop outs with optical too.
I reckon that LG have used a smaller audio buffer somewhere in the 2018 series - that was my last comment to the "almost a techy" at LG - he's now gone off to speak to a more techie techie ;-)

I had my c8 replaced yesterday because of bad banding..I’m pleased with my new set now in content I can’t see any banding at all
That is identical to mine yet i can see a V/Band when watching panning shots in Football.. have not seen it in any other content.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom