LG OLED C8 owners and discussion

wifininja

Downloaded OTA here in Coventry. I have no issues moving the Airplay app on the Home Screen.
Did you check after turning off / on your TV is the AirPlay app on the same place you previously moved to?

Last edited:

33man

Standard Member
Just got version 05.30.10 on my 65C8.
I had manually update with usb stick 05.30.02 2 weeks ago but now this update was automatically there.

what is new with this version? Just wifi fix?

tomsinclair

Novice Member
I’ve not got the OTA here (Scotland) - I’m still on 05.20.02 with no new updates available.

The LG UK site still has this as the latest version to manually download (no 05.30.02/10) available

ivanhoeyu

Novice Member
thanks,
what about the 05.10.30?
maybe LG applied in 05.30.10 the lower blacks in DV, the thing they have just done for the CX series curve.

do you need to push down the "brightness" from 50 to 48 (Cinema Home Dolby Vision) or 49 (Cinema Dolby Vision) in order to avoid the raised blacks (Netflix and other HDR streaming)?

it seems that LG has finally resolved this couple of days ago for the CX...but still the issue on C8/C9...even when calibrated?!

look what Vincent Theo is saying for the CX and LG update.

Decided to take the plunge via USB as well. Below are the measurements taken on 5.20.03 right before updating.

View attachment 1439667

This calibration was done over a year ago and is still essentially perfect.

Measurements after updating to 05.30.02 were identical.

The take aways are: no need to worry about losing calibration moving between these two particular firmwares, and calibrations hold up very well over time on this set.

only1hammy

thanks,
what about the 05.10.30?
maybe LG applied in 05.30.10 the lower blacks in DV, the thing they have just done for the CX series curve.

do you need to push down the "brightness" from 50 to 48 (Cinema Home Dolby Vision) or 49 (Cinema Dolby Vision) in order to avoid the raised blacks (Netflix and other HDR streaming)?

it seems that LG has finally resolved this couple of days ago for the CX...but still the issue on C8/C9...even when calibrated?!

look what Vincent Theo is saying for the CX and LG update.
I can check the new firmware tonight if nobody else has. I very rarely watch DV content, but to my recollection the default 50 looked correct for me. I've calibrated 3DLUT for SDR and then white point only for HDR/DV through the service menu. I know 50 brightness is correct on my set for HDR.

Ideally, we'd get a changelog on the firmware sooner rather than later.

westie99

Standard Member
I’ve not got the OTA here (Scotland) - I’m still on 05.20.02 with no new updates available.

The LG UK site still has this as the latest version to manually download (no 05.30.02/10) available
Hi, I am only seeing 05.20.02 on the LG UK site for OLED55C8PLA. Where are you seeing 05.30.02/10?

only1hammy

No 05.30.10 in Norway. Either with OTA, or the Nor LG site.
Can I download a compatble version somewhere?
Had the notification this morning in Finland, but dismissed it and now it's not finding it again. Back of the queue, measuring cancelled.

By the way, if I recall we did some testing last year with the dimming/brightening over time feature. The biggest thing for me in these firmwares is the ability to turn GSR off in the service menu. Completely removes this dimming/brightening 'feature'. I also find it interesting they can add things to the service menu via a firmware update, which obviously means they could remove things too..

MJMS87

Novice Member
05.30.10 here in Paraguay for 55C8PSA. Nothing noticeable for me.. The airplay was already available with the previous update.

hareid

Had the notification this morning in Finland, but dismissed it and now it's not finding it again. Back of the queue, measuring cancelled.

By the way, if I recall we did some testing last year with the dimming/brightening over time feature. The biggest thing for me in these firmwares is the ability to turn GSR off in the service menu. Completely removes this dimming/brightening 'feature'. I also find it interesting they can add things to the service menu via a firmware update, which obviously means they could remove things too..
I still don't get offered 5.30.10.

I installed 5.20.10 beta (I were on 5.20.02 beta for a looooong time), with the Apple TV+ app, and the option to turn GSR off. Now I finally are back on track with official firmware, and use 5.30.02, still with GSR off.

Dimming with especially the Premier League scoreboard is history. So nice to finally get rid of that!
BUT you need to be careful with PC use, and GSR off, cause static stuff like the top bar on Opera browser (any browser will do it I guess) have made a minor burn-in on my C8. Luckily I caught it before it got too bad, ran a couple of pixel refreshers and now it's 98% gone.

Jacko007

I still don't get offered 5.30.10.

I installed 5.20.10 beta (I were on 5.20.02 beta for a looooong time), with the Apple TV+ app, and the option to turn GSR off. Now I finally are back on track with official firmware, and use 5.30.02, still with GSR off.

Dimming with especially the Premier League scoreboard is history. So nice to finally get rid of that!
BUT you need to be careful with PC use, and GSR off, cause static stuff like the top bar on Opera browser (any browser will do it I guess) have made a minor burn-in on my C8. Luckily I caught it before it got too bad, ran a couple of pixel refreshers and now it's 98% gone.

Is the option to turn off GSR available through the normal menu in that update or does it still require going through the engineering menu?

raymondo77

Those who've installed the newer firmware, have you had any issues with YouTube? Might be coincidence but ever since I installed the AirPlay update back in December I've had issues with buffering on the YouTube app. It's at the point where I'm now using the YouTube app on the AppleTV instead, as I can't get through a video without it buffering multiple times. I'm hard-wired, this is the only device in the house that has this problem (I use a C7 with a wireless connection in the bedroom and never have any buffering problems).

IanS

Those who've installed the newer firmware, have you had any issues with YouTube? Might be coincidence but ever since I installed the AirPlay update back in December I've had issues with buffering on the YouTube app. It's at the point where I'm now using the YouTube app on the AppleTV instead, as I can't get through a video without it buffering multiple times. I'm hard-wired, this is the only device in the house that has this problem (I use a C7 with a wireless connection in the bedroom and never have any buffering problems).
Been using YouTube extensively since the update and no issues here.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published