LG OLED C8 owners and discussion

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Just a heads up the Apple Website is now show 2018 OLEDs as being Airplay2 compatible, hopefully the firmware update is near; Apple TV app - Devices

Maybe, maybe not. I thought that had been on Apples website for a while TBH. Apples web/marketing people know it’s coming, but I doubt this has much bearing on LG’s actual schedules. Hope I’m wrong...

dazzasky

Just a heads up the Apple Website is now show 2018 OLEDs as being Airplay2 compatible, hopefully the firmware update is near; Apple TV app - Devices
[/QUOTE]

Actually it’s not, that just states the tv has the Apple TV app. When you look on airplay 2 devices, the C8 is not listed.

hareid

Bilde_2020-11-15_192503.png

Eh?!?

mrtickleuk

This is what I’m seeing on the Apple website and no mention of the C8

That picture is a screenshot of THIS url:

Airplay2-enabled TVs says " LG OLED (2019, 2020)* "

and the star at the bottom says "2020 models are announced only".

Perhaps after the firmware is release, the page may be updated. But updating it before wouldn't help anyone.

Also, the page says: "Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement". Ie, "just because it's only this page doesn't make it 100% correct".

So even if there is another Apple webpage somewhere else which wrongly lists the C8, it doesn't make it right. Since we don't have the firmware, we all know that it would not be right!

hareid

I got an update notification when I turned on my tv just now, but I was too slow to click on it. But when searching for the update manually, there isn't any... 🤔

mrtickleuk

Well, just launch the Notifications App to read it again then. It's advance notice of the next firmware update soon. Speculation is that it will include AirPlay2 support is in the posts above. It definitely doesn't say "the firmware is out now, try to get it today" ;)

(I also had a notification which was a repeat of the badly-worded warning that the BBC News app and the BBC Sport app - that's apps not any BBC TV channels - will be removed).

hareid

Well, just launch the Notifications App to read it again then. It's advance notice of the next firmware update soon. Speculation is that it will include AirPlay2 support is in the posts above. It definitely doesn't say "the firmware is out now, try to get it today" ;)

Hehe, thanks. I didn't even know there was an app showing all the notifications. Learn something new every day!

RaulRobbo

Standard Member
Hi I have the OLED65C8PLA at the moment. I have the new xbox series X which looks great with it.
Might need to upgrade soon as need HDMI 2.1 for 120fps.

Can anyone point me to the best calibration set up for this please.For Sky Q and Game mode

Cheers

jpfigueiredo

Hi I have the OLED65C8PLA at the moment. I have the new xbox series X which looks great with it.
Just give it some time before making that investment...

120fps is also possible with HDMI 2.0, with resolutions up to 1440p. And I don't see many games hitting that mark in a near future.

And if you get Ray Tracing into the equation, then maybe we won't even be seeing 120fps @ 4K in this latest generation of consoles.

Last edited:

Can anyone point me to the best calibration set up for this please.For Sky Q and Game mode

Cheers

I dont know aboutr game mode but for sky set it to ISF Dark then turn off all the processing.

mrtickleuk

Just give it some time before making that investment...

120fps is also possible in HDMI 2.0, with resolutions up to 1440p.

Sure it's possible. But it's not implemented. The C8 doesn't support 120fps over HDMI.

And I don't see many games hitting that in a near future.

There have already been demonstrations, even before the consoles were launched. The choice of 120fps with lower quality, ~90fps with medium quality or ~60fps with max quality is the choice that gamers are demanding, and so it's very likely to be an option on many games. With VRR helping. VRR is the game-changer, really.

But there is no rush. These are early days, and there are several issues to be sorted out with HDMI2.1 implementation in AVRs and newer TVs. Never buy the first generation of anything.

lee1980

Cheers

Im in same boat but seem its not worth upgrading yet, really as will need to upgrade AVR to!

RaulRobbo

Standard Member
I dont know aboutr game mode but for sky set it to ISF Dark then turn off all the processing.

Where is that?

I have on Picture mode (User) for Sky Q

Oled light - 90
Contrast - 95
Brightness - 55
Sharpness - 25
Colour - 55
Tint -0
Colour temp C20

Advanced
Dynamic contrast - Off
Dynamic Colour - Off
Preferred Colour All 0
Colour Gamut - Wide
Super Resolution - Low
Gamma - Medium

Picture Options
Noise Reduction - Low
MPEG Noise Reduction - Low
Black Level - Low
Real Cinema - On
Motion Eye Care - Off
Tru Motion - Clear

Is that ok?

Cheers

Sure it's possible. But it's not implemented. The C8 doesn't support 120fps over HDMI.

There have already been demonstrations, even before the consoles were launched. The choice of 120fps with lower quality, ~90fps with medium quality or ~60fps with max quality is the choice that gamers are demanding, and so it's very likely to be an option on many games. With VRR helping. VRR is the game-changer, really.

But there is no rush. These are early days, and there are several issues to be sorted out with HDMI2.1 implementation in AVRs and newer TVs. Never buy the first generation of anything.
It does 1080p 120fps over HDMI

mrtickleuk

I've always read the contrary.

Ok well I've always read what I said! It supports 120Hz via USB files, but not over HDMI. I've got one 120fps test file which pans around a bit. That works. (google "UHD-HFR-Astra.ts" to find it)

EVEN IF it did work over HDMI, the bandwidth limitations make it impractical - you would need to use 8bit for start which means lots of banding, as well as 4:2:0 chroma, etc.

You'll need a 120Hz source to test it, if you want to be sure.

Could you expand on this? Being a 120Hz panel, what's stopping the TV from doing it?

It wasn't implemented. Been reading a few people's unrealistic demands for a magic firmware upgrade to add support for 1440p/8bit/120Hz handling to what's already baked into hardware over the years, but no sign of such a miracle happening.

However now that PC HDMI2.1 cards are available which can output some of these resolutions (eg 8bit banding-tastic 4:2:0 1440p 120Hz), someone can test it and report if it works.

edit: from @Trophy hunter 's post, maybe all the fuss was about 1440p. Was all quite some time ago...

Last edited:

jpfigueiredo

Ok well I've always read what I said! It supports 120Hz via USB files, but not over HDMI. I've got one 120fps test file which pans around a bit. That works. (google "UHD-HFR-Astra.ts" to find it)

EVEN IF it did work over HDMI, the bandwidth limitations make it impractical - you would need to use 8bit for start which means lots of banding, as well as 4:2:0 chroma, etc.

You'll need a 120Hz source to test it, if you want to be sure.

It wasn't implemented. Been reading a few people's unrealistic demands for a magic firmware upgrade to add support for 1440p/8bit/120Hz handling to what's already baked into hardware over the years, but no sign of such a miracle happening.

However now that PC HDMI2.1 cards are available which can output some of these resolutions (eg 8bit banding-tastic 4:2:0 1440p 120Hz), someone can test it and report if it works.

edit: from @Trophy hunter 's post, maybe all the fuss was about 1440p. Was all quite some time ago...
I guess I stand corrected, then.

I think the misconception comes from the fact that the C8 supports 120fps via USB. Also, I was under the impression that HDMI 2.0 supported 120Hz up to 1440p without (many) compromisses, but that seems not to be the case as well.

Thank you for the clarification.

mrtickleuk

I guess I stand corrected, then.

I think the misconception comes from the fact that the C8 supports 120fps via USB. Also, I was under the impression that HDMI 2.0 supported 120Hz up to 1440p without compromisses, but that seems not to be the case as well.

Thank you for the clarification.

Happy to help but this is my memory, so still worth someone testing it to be sure I think.

The bandwidth of HDMI2.0 caters for it merely because the numbers work. But 1440 is a non-standard resolution from the world of PCs, it is not from the world of consumer video. That's one reason why Denon AVRs do not support 1440p either (Some people have successfully passed 1440 through, but it's definitely not supported)!.

jpfigueiredo

Happy to help but this is my memory, so still worth someone testing it to be sure I think.
Flatpanelshd review actually clearly stats it:

Let us turn our attention to motion performance. As mentioned, LG’s 2018 TVs are the first to support video at up to 100 and 120 frames per second. This should not be confused with manufacturer’s claims of 100 or 200Hz panels. 100/120fps is also referred to as ‘High Frame Rate’ or HFR and is a development that will finally bring about silky-smooth and ultra-sharp video motion. C8 supports HFR via USB and apps/streaming and our tests on C8 show that it HFR video delivers a striking and very visible improvement in motion. Unfortunately, the 2018 LG OLED generation does not support HFR via HDMI, which puts a damper on things.

Jacko007

Where is that?

I have on Picture mode (User) for Sky Q

Oled light - 90 - <50
Contrast - 95
Brightness - 55 - 50/51
Sharpness - 25 - 0
Colour - 55 -50
Tint -0
Colour temp C20 - Warm 2 which I think is approx W45

Advanced
Dynamic contrast - Off
Dynamic Colour - Off
Preferred Colour All 0
Colour Gamut - Wide - Auto
Super Resolution - Low - Off (although I prefer Low/medium on SKY SDR content)
Gamma - Medium

Picture Options
Noise Reduction - Low - Off
MPEG Noise Reduction - Low - Off unless you see banding
Black Level - Low
Real Cinema - On
Motion Eye Care - Off
Tru Motion - Clear - Off or user 2/10

Is that ok?

Cheers

Change picture mode to ISF Dark or ISF Bright depending on your room then don't play with any of the settings if you want true accuracy albeit it's your telly so make it how you like it but either one of those settings will be very different from your current set up - I've amended your reply above

martimu

Just had a notification come up on mine from LG asking me to register to get the power board replacement like they in did Korea. Guess the European models may suffer too

martimu

It seems to be 65 inches and above. 2016 E6's through to the 2019 C9's

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 20th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix passes 200 million subscribers to end 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio announces soundBuds2 in-ear headphones
  • By Andy Bassett