LG OLED C8 owners and discussion

mrtickleuk

Nope, no sign of AirPlay or Apple TV. Can install Disney+ now though, which you couldn’t on the previous engineering builds
That's a good service to the people who were "marooned" on the engineering firmware 5.20.03, thanks.

Simon F

Distinguished Member
Cool. With your extra info then, if you stopped at 4.10.20 and then update now, your calibration will remain the same. No near-black overshoot fix for you, in the calibrated modes, but it will look the same. If you have the flashing problem at all, which you don't mention so maybe that's good and you don't notice it in content, you'd be able to compare your calibrated and non-calibrated modes to see.

05.10.03 is not the most recent. It is over a whole year old! 5.10.45 is the latest (March 2020).

Now onto the LUT/calibration stuff. No worries that it's not clear as I struggle to make it clear and it's pretty convoluted at the best of times. 1DLUT = greyscale. 3DLUT = colours. They are separate things but relate to each other. Think of the 3DLUT as a "layer" on top of the base "foundation" 1DLUT. Even without changing the TV's LUTs, when calibrating you would always do the greyscale first, and only tweak the Colour Management System afterwards since it all stems off the greyscale.

For a HDR10/DV calibration, you cannot create and replace your own full 33x33x33 3DLUT (35,937 points) because these WOLED panels are too unstable at high luminances [this means they "drift" when the panel heats up] and the measurements would be all over the place. Instead, all LG allows is you can only do a "matrix" LUT replacement which measures black + peak white/red/green/blue and interpolates all the other 35,932 points in between; hence, for creating a 3DLUT for HDR10/DV it's very unlikely you can do a better job than LG did in the factory when they made their full 3DLUT for those modes.

This restriction is not in place for SDR. For SDR you can measure far more points and there are several options. Matrix measures 5 and interpolates everything. Lightning measures 101 points (along the edge of the "colour cube") and interpolates everything. Still nothing inside the cube is ever measured. Then finally, the other options (eg fixed grid) actually measure enough colours inside the cube to generate a good replacement LUT.

For each Picture Mode, you could have:
LG factory 1DLUT + LG factory 3DLUT (default)
LG factory 1DLUT + LG factory 3DLUT + manual greyscale calibration + manual CMS calibration (this is an "old style" calibration)
replacement 1DLUT + replacement 3DLUT (what Calman steers you into doing)

There are some horrible bugs in the "replacement 1DLUT" handling in the TV, this is LG's problem and not Calman's, but the 2019 and 2020 models still have them. For this reason after a lot of experimentation of all possibilities, a group of users who spend their lives testing all this stuff to destruction recommend another technique for SDR:
LG factory 1DLUT + replacement 3DLUT.
As long as you measure enough greyscale points in the 3DLUT, this will calibrate the greyscale as well. It's just a collection of measurements, which can and should include greys. I got much better results with this method as well myself. There are some caveats when you use the TV but it's the end result PQ that trumps all :)

I bet this is more than you needed, sorry. It's more than I meant to type :)
🤯 Mind blown! Thank you, really insightful. I’m almost certain @Canary_Jules did replacement 1DLUT & 3DLUT (happy to be corrected).

Couple of quick question -

Is the bug already there that affects the dithering patterns, I.e my TV on current FW notes above or are you saying updating to the latest FW will introduce it?

Via Ethernet connection my C8 is offering the 05.10.03 FW, is it a problem to update to this, then progressively update through the rest (if not presented with the most up to date) or will that cause any issues, meaning I should install the latest via USB.

Thanks again, so helpful :thumbsup:

mrtickleuk

🤯 Mind blown! Thank you, really insightful. I’m almost certain @Canary_Jules did replacement 1DLUT & 3DLUT (happy to be corrected).
Fair enough!

Couple of quick question -

Is the bug already there that affects the dithering patterns, I.e my TV on current FW notes above or are you saying updating to the latest FW will introduce it?
When you say "the bug" here do you mean the issues with 1dlut handling that I mentioned in passing - if so, they have all been there since the very start, LG can't/won't fix them, so you don't need to worry anything you do will change anything. Gory details over on AVS forum calibration threads and posts by Ted Aspiotis who also has a website Here (warning - mind-blowing ;). It's to do with how the TV behaves differently when it's measuring the patches to create the 1dLUT vs normally - think about why that might be a problem! - and also how LG's processing of it when it is uploaded to the TV actually changes it slightly from the 1dlut you actually created). How minor these issues are is up for debate, but if you're chasing perfection with a calibration, everything matters esp with near-black handling to the people who found and proved these problems. All that said, if you're happy now you can continue to not worry about it, and forget I mentioned it ;)

Via Ethernet connection my C8 is offering the 05.10.03 FW, is it a problem to update to this, then progressively update through the rest (if not presented with the most up to date) or will that cause any issues, meaning I should install the latest via USB.

Thanks again, so helpful :thumbsup:
Happy to help. Odd that it's only offering you 05.10.03. Each firmware is a complete replacement, they are not incremental; you don't need to go through a sequence. So you could go straight to the latest one on USB from the website (LG OLED55C8PLA Product Support :Manuals, Warranty & More | LG U.K.) if you wanted and shouldn't have issues. Or wait for it to offer you new ones on its own. Whatever's easier for you! Obviously there's a small risk with any firmware upgrade (eg having a power cut in the middle of it, etc).

Last edited:

Simon F

Distinguished Member
Fair enough!

When you say "the bug" here do you mean the issues with 1dlut handling that I mentioned in passing - if so, they have all been there since the very start, LG can't/won't fix them, so you don't need to worry anything you do will change anything. Gory details over on AVS forum calibration threads and posts by Ted Aspiotis who also has a website Here (warning - mind-blowing ;). It's to do with how the TV behaves differently when it's measuring the patches to create the 1dLUT vs normally - think about why that might be a problem! - and also how LG's processing of it when it is uploaded to the TV actually changes it slightly from the 1dlut you actually created). How minor these issues are is up for debate, but if you're chasing perfection with a calibration, everything matters esp with near-black handling to the people who found and proved these problems. All that said, if you're happy now you can continue to not worry about it, and forget I mentioned it ;)

Happy to help. Odd that it's only offering you 05.10.03. Each firmware is a complete replacement, they are not incremental; you don't need to go through a sequence. So you could go straight to the latest one on USB from the website (LG OLED55C8PLA Product Support :Manuals, Warranty & More | LG U.K.) if you wanted and shouldn't have issues. Or wait for it to offer you new ones on its own. Whatever's easier for you! Obviously there's a small risk with any firmware upgrade (eg having a power cut in the middle of it, etc).
Thanks, will download to USB and update later tonight or tomorrow and post results

Can @mrtickleuk or anyone please tell me what firmware was the latest one in early Aug last year,
as thats what i was on when @Canary_Jules did an autocal on it last year. I am now on the latest one
that was done OTA a few weeks ago.
And would this firmware mean anything has changed? thanks.

mrtickleuk

sure, obviously from my own records, E&OE ;)

5.10.03 was released at the end of July 2019, and as already explained, it would not affect the autocal since the TV has had the capability from 4.10.31 onwards, to know which autocals were done with which firmwares, and to behave correctly. All good.

ps - unlike Samsung who refuse to publish anything other than the same patronising "bug fixes, we've made it better" word-for-word boilerplate with every TV firmware, LG does publish a change log with firmwares. And the nice thing is that it's an incremental history, so you can just read the whole set of changes from the last one on the website to see what was done for each different version. Except that they've missed one, so I'll do it here.

There was nothing between 5.10.03 and 5.10.15.
==
[05.10.15, Sep 2019]
Netflex App + ARC + TV OFF / ON Voice Improvement

[05.10.20]
1. Improved the issue of intermittent playback stop when playing 4K content of VUDU app.
(VUDU is America-only)

[05.10.35 - Nov 2019. You need at least this version for Disney+ to work]
1. fix the abnormal termination in Disney+ App

[05.10.40 - Nov 2019]
1. Add HEVC logo to user guide

[05.10.45 - Mar 2020]
1. fix that playback doesn't work when setting YouTube speed to such as x2
===

All minor things, but sometimes they fix things that are not mentioned of course.

Last edited:

OJman

Hi all,

I've noticed this in the top right of my panel, and to a much lesser extent the bottom right. It doesn't look quite like full on dead pixels, jist wondering how normal this is and if I should query it.

Thanks.
3110.jpg

Attachments

timmywimmywoo

Novice Member
Hi everyone, I asked this in the AV receiver forum but thought it might be more of an LG problem…

I’ve had my Denon 4700 receiver for a week and it keeps dropping audio for a couple of seconds when playing from the Netflix app on my LG C8. I’m using Arc, I’ve tried several certified HDMI leads and have tried setting the Arc output on the TV to both PCM and auto - with the same result. It will drop the audio four times per hour on average which is pretty annoying. I’ve upgraded from an Onkyo 740 which was fine - but dropped audio and picture from my Xbox!

What’s the collective thought - a problem with LG’s Arc implementation (which wasn’t present with the Onkyo), faulty receiver or something else? It seems to do it with an optical connection for the audio too. I've used the LG Netflix app for over a year into a basic stereo hi-fi amp for a year before now with no issue…

logiclee

Hi everyone, I asked this in the AV receiver forum but thought it might be more of an LG problem…

I’ve had my Denon 4700 receiver for a week and it keeps dropping audio for a couple of seconds when playing from the Netflix app on my LG C8. I’m using Arc, I’ve tried several certified HDMI leads and have tried setting the Arc output on the TV to both PCM and auto - with the same result. It will drop the audio four times per hour on average which is pretty annoying. I’ve upgraded from an Onkyo 740 which was fine - but dropped audio and picture from my Xbox!

What’s the collective thought - a problem with LG’s Arc implementation (which wasn’t present with the Onkyo), faulty receiver or something else? It seems to do it with an optical connection for the audio too. I've used the LG Netflix app for over a year into a basic stereo hi-fi amp for a year before now with no issue…
I have the 4400 and have no problem with Atmos over arc from Netfilx.

mrtickleuk

No problem here with the 4200 and full Netflix ARC (DD+ streams sometimes containing Atmos metadata)

But I would say that intermittent drops normally point to the cable being the issue. You might want to ensure you are using certified premium cables (ie those which carry the logo from HDMI.org : Premium HDMI Cable - HDMI )

It's not just marketing fluff, it's a full- blown testing programme for these cables to ensure they pass the full 18Gbps with a specified maximum error rate.

(NB: they are NOT expensive, if they are that's another rip-off, so this will only cost you a few quid to find out. Many other cables with all sorts of claims are ten times the cost of true certified premium cables, which is ironic but perfectly standard for the hifi industry :cool:)

Last edited:
Hi, need help.

I have Xbox one X which can handle Dolby TrueHD 7.1 and Dolby Atmos( both ver of Atmos lossless 7.1 and lossy in DD+ ). It also allows bitstreaming passthrough.

So if I connect my Xbox OneX to my Lg C8 Oled through non-ARC HDMI 2.0 port with a certified HDMI cable. And I play a 4k Dolby Vision + Dolby TrueHD Atmos 7.1 lossless Blu-Ray disc on Xbox one drive with an embedded Blu ray App.

Will my TV be able to recognize Dolby Atmos sound coming out of my Xbox One X with bitstreaming option ticked on the console. Or do I need to turn off the bitstream option?

Help would be highly appreciated. Regards
Guys anyone can answer my query plz

I had the audio cutout issue with a B6 / X3300 combo only way i could stop it was to change audio in netflix to stereo. My C8 / Yamaha Aventage combo works flawlessly.
(well aside from a handshake issue on startup)

mrtickleuk

I had the audio cutout issue with a B6 / X3300 combo only way i could stop it was to change audio in netflix to stereo.
A-ha! If the same cable had cutouts with higher bandwidth DD+ but was ok with lower bandwidth stereo, then again, that points to the cable/chipset/signal :)

Even though the difference in bandwidth is small between stereo and DD+, if the signal was marginal already, to me that points to why dropping down to stereo would have helped.

The way plain ARC (not eARC) is carried over HDMI is quite fragile and prone to interference (which is one reason why it's been moved to the spare Ethernet pair of wires for eARC). It can also be marginal with different chipset combinations in TVs/AVRs coping better than others.

This is one reason why Netflix restricts the bandwidth of its DD+ streams so 768kbps even though in theory it could be higher (up to 6 or 12Mbps) and still carry over plain ARC.

Last edited: