Quantcast

LG OLED C8 owners and discussion

jwsg

The LG tv message comes up on screen every other day and it is too often. If you run screen refresh to many times it will degrade the tv.
I use smart sockets to turn stuff like tv AV Blu-ray all off so not left on standby as they still use a fair bit of power. If you do some research you will find all this out, and not just let items do what they want. You probably have LG tv settings all on when most of the enhancement settings apart from a few should be off.

So you joined yesterday and made just 7 posts all in this one thread - all wrong. As above youre transferring old knowledge (or myths) to new tech, Every one of the posters trying to help you here is very knowledgeable. There is nothing you can tell me about tech in general or C8 settings and usage in particular.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
So you joined yesterday and made just 7 posts all in this one thread - all wrong. As above youre transferring old knowledge (or myths) to new tech, Every one of the posters trying to help you here is very knowledgeable. There is nothing you can tell me about tech in general or C8 settings and usage in particular.
Depending on the models, there a strong possibility the smart plug uses more power (permanent WiFi connection) than a BR player in standby.

StumpyBloke

The LG tv message comes up on screen every other day and it is too often. If you run screen refresh to many times it will degrade the tv.
I use smart sockets to turn stuff like tv AV Blu-ray all off so not left on standby as they still use a fair bit of power. If you do some research you will find all this out, and not just let items do what they want. You probably have LG tv settings all on when most of the enhancement settings apart from a few should be off.

You couldn’t be more wrong if you tried. I would respectfully suggest you listen to the guys on here who know more about these TVs and their tech than you (and I) ever will.

Last edited:

Spiderpig

You couldn’t be more wrong if you tried. I would respectfully suggest you listen to the guys on here who know more about these TVs and their tech than you (and I) ever will.
He stopped posting at 8:30 this morning. I think that everything's been said that needs to be said (and more, but that got deleted).

Eloi

Novice Member
Hello all,
I own both a 55" (4.10.30) and 65" (5.10.03) C8 and since two days ago I started getting popping noises on the center channel of the internal speaker (on both TVs).

It does this only on certain movies, on different sources (live tv, netflix, hbogo), where voice is fed through the center channel.

I thought there is some electrical interference, but I don't have any new consumer in my apartment.

I have tried :
* run separately all inputs (cable only, lan only);
* factory reset.
but with no result.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DrKrispyoz

Novice Member
Hello all,
I own both a 55" (4.10.30) and 65" (5.10.03) C8 and since two days ago I started getting popping noises on the center channel of the internal speaker (on both TVs).

It does this only on certain movies, on different sources (live tv, netflix, hbogo), where voice is fed through the center channel.

I thought there is some electrical interference, but I don't have any new consumer in my apartment.

I have tried :
* run separately all inputs (cable only, lan only);
* factory reset.
but with no result.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am also having this problem. The popping noise did go away with my sound bar installation.

DKoZ

davidcharles

I'm on 4.10.20 too having blocked OTA updates. If you do update to 5.10.40 please share your experience. At the moment I'm in the if it ain't broke why fix it camp due to lack of rollback facility.

A lot of the short lived and quickly pulled/replaced updates between 4.10.20 and 5.10.30 also probably did what the release notes said. Just with unwanted side effects.
hello.... well...finally updated to 5.10.40....all worked fine, nothing broken ! Picture wise it does make a few changes. Gamma wise its a little bit brighter and it has , for me anyway, made a bit of black crush on some scenes. Now, luckily it was sorted easily by me changing gamma to 2.4 and i changed 5 IRE to +5 and brightness up by 1 notch which has pretty much eliminated black crush. Overall its probably i tiny bit punchier than before and very slightly better shadow detail. If you are happy with PQ as is i would just leave it alone...as if you do update you would have to make some changes to your settings.

Putonahappyface

Anyone having problems with all 4 since the latest update? I'm finding as soon as I launch the app it freezes and I have to reset the tv to get the app to work again, but eventually the bug recurs.

jwsg

Just a note, if reset meant factory reset then there are other, less drastic, options when apps misbehave

If you long press Home button it shows running apps (not the normal Home menu) its possible to kill the app with X above that app
Unplugging the TV when in standby helps with many app problems, its more effective in clearing persistent data then re-installing an app
The TV can be rebooted by holding the power button on the rear panel

jwsg

I'd be surprised if we get Airplay, just the ATV app. I dont think C9 etc have the app yet and they'll be ahead in the queue but hopefully not behind CX series. We might need a firmware update too if the WebOS libraries need something extra for Apple. The D+ app should show up sometime before the end of March too.

vfrvulcan2

Novice Member
Late to the party here. I've just got a C8, and a wonderful set it is too!

Quick audio question that I haven't found the answer to in this thread so far (466 pages is a lot to trawl through).

I have the C8 connected to a Yamaha RX-V359 amp via optical.

If internal sound and optical is selected then only 2.1 PCM is sent to the amp

With optical only then (most) 5.1 sources will be passed to the amp:
Sky Q will play 5.1 (when source is 5.1)
Photos & Video app will play 5.1 from NAS (with some complaints of no audio - but it plays audio)
Plex will play 5.1
Amazon Prime will do 5.1
YouTube app will only produce PCM, even on DTS demo videos.

SimpLink on or off makes no difference (nor did I expect it to)

So, make that two questions...

Is there a quick way to change the output from internal+optical to just optical when we want to watch a movie? Its rather laborious to have to go into the advanced menu to select optical only to get the DTS output. Or, preferably, is there a setting to enable the internal+optical config to allow a proper DTS output on the optical so that no menu intervention is required when we decide to watch a movie with the amp on?

Second. Is there any way to get YouTube app to send DTS/5.1 to the amp over optical.

Unless I'm missing something of course...

jwsg

Ive never known the youtube app to produce anything other than 2 channel sound - dont believe what the videos say

I normally use ARC. I have read that with ARC selected as sound out then the optical connection on LG is still active (as well as the ARC connection). ARC selection is important as it mutes TV internal speakers and controls the receiver/soundbar using CEC

Under the HDMI ARC sound setting is another important setting which should be changed from PCM to Auto

The ARC connection is preferable to optical as it allows DD+ and Atmos instead of basic 5.1 (assuming the receiver is capable)

Sound out can be changed by pressing the settings button, icons appear on the right, and the sound out can be changed (e.g. to ARC)

Last edited:

vfrvulcan2

Novice Member
Ive never known the youtube app to produce anything other than 2 channel sound - dont believe what the videos say

I normally use ARC. I have read that with ARC selected as sound out then the optical connection on LG is still active (as well as the ARC connection). ARC selection is important as it mutes TV internal speakers and controls the receiver/soundbar using CEC

Under the HDMI ARC sound setting is another important setting which should be changed from PCM to Auto

The ARC connection is preferable to optical as it allows DD+ and Atmos instead of basic 5.1 (assuming the receiver is capable)

Sound out can be changed by pressing the settings button, icons appear on the right, and the sound out can be changed (e.g. to ARC)
Thanks for the quick reply but the ARC connection can only be preferable if one has ARC.

Appreciate the input on the YouTube app

jwsg

A more recent receiver model with ARC, Atmos,, 4K DV pass-through, and so on, would pair nicely with the C8 as some point.

vfrvulcan2

Novice Member
A more recent receiver model with ARC, Atmos,, 4K DV pass-through, and so on, would pair nicely with the C8 as some point.
Indeed it would. But that, unfortunately, doesn't address the issue I'm trying to overcome with my existing equipment.

jwsg

If youve tried changing any sound settings in the menus from PCM to Auto and still only get down-mixed audio on optical with internal speakers active then that must be a C8 limitation. The quickest way to change audio is the quick settings bar of icons that pops up - audio out is the fourth one down.

scoobeesnac

Standard Member
It's February... where is the update with Airplay? ;):confused::blush:
Apple TV app, Apple TV+ now available on compatible 2019 LG TVs

so I guess 2018 is next on the list for the TV app at least

sucram

This has probably been asked before. I am getting some judder/stutter/slowdown on my C8 with sky. Its pretty much on every scene change and is becoming more unbearable. I'm on 05.10.40. Please can someone give me some pointers.

raymondo77

Distinguished Member
Apple TV app, Apple TV+ now available on compatible 2019 LG TVs

so I guess 2018 is next on the list for the TV app at least
Hopefully, although there’s no Atmos support on the 2019 LG sets so I’ll continue to use my Apple TV 4K.

adbailey18

This has probably been asked before. I am getting some judder/stutter/slowdown on my C8 with sky. Its pretty much on every scene change and is becoming more unbearable. I'm on 05.10.40. Please can someone give me some pointers.
Is that when using apps or normal channel viewing?

jwsg

The comments on DV picture with the C9 ATV app seem promising but the ATV 4K will still be useful for ATV+ and iTunes films with Atmos

sucram

trampas

Standard Member
Yes, but using the apps via sky q or watching live tv?
I have a C8 and watch most content via Sky Q with no problems, usually recordings. The Sky Q box is connected to HDMI1 on the C8 via an HDMI cable (duh!). This must be what was meant by 'with Sky Q'. I can only think, assuming that both the Sky Q box and TV are okay, that it is the HDMI cable.