Quantcast

LG OLED C8 owners and discussion

davidcharles

You can still use MPEG NR high for reduced banding remember, for games. For movies and TV details get stripped however.
enabling this doesn't kill any detail then for games?..i have it turned off ...

jmacc

Distinguished Member
yeah that's on top of the screen protector.. just get a finger nail and peal away from one of the corners..

iangreasby

Here you go, this is a picture after I put it on my media unit, the only sticker is the warranty one.
Ok, so what happens if you try to remove the (warranty) sticker on the top middle of the TV? I'm guessing that will remove the film and it's certainly not meant to be left attached to the screen.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Here you go, this is a picture after I put it on my media unit, the only sticker is the warranty one.
Did you try peeling the warranty sticker off?
If there's film on the screen, pulling at the sticker should lift it as the film isn't very sticky.

hmsq

Ok, so what happens if you try to remove the (warranty) sticker on the top middle of the TV? I'm guessing that will remove the film and it's certainly not meant to be left attached to the screen.
I removed it already Saturday, no film came off, but looking at the corner I can definitely see now round shape to it, my wife used her nail and it looks like it comes off. Wondering why they don't put it on the manual, is it really meant to come off?

mrtickleuk

There should have been a little tab on the bottom left of the front's screen. If it comes off relatively easily, and is clear but very very sticky on the back, that's the thing that should come off.

It's the same material on the back (THREE pieces, not one).

All four pieces should be peeled off. The manual doesn't mention it any more than it mentions to peel off the warranty sticker - it's supposed to be obvious (but the 3 pieces on the back are not to many people!).

hmsq

There should have been a little tab on the bottom left of the front's screen. If it comes off relatively easily, and is clear but very very sticky on the back, that's the thing that should come off.

It's the same material on the back (THREE pieces, not one).

All four pieces should be peeled off. The manual doesn't mention it any more than it mentions to peel off the warranty sticker - it's supposed to be obvious (but the 3 pieces on the back are not to many people!).
No tabs on mine as you can see from picture. Could it been JL already opened it before getting to me? The ones in the back I can see. Edit* I've removed the 3 protective films on the back, but tried using my nail to remove the front and nothing comes out, there is a gap and I really don't want to be pulling the screen apart.

Attachments

Last edited:

Flame89

Question regarding "Real Cinema" option. If I check an HDR movie through the nvidia shield (Kodi), I notice that "Real Cinema" is greyed out in Standard mode. however in the expert modes I can enable or disable it. True motion is out in both cases.

If real cinema is greyed out, is it always off? Cause it's ON and greyed out in Standard mode. I was also able to have a greyed out OFF, that's why I'm wondering.

Not sure if I see a lot of difference.

chico1

Standard Member
No tabs on mine as you can see from picture. Could it been JL already opened it before getting to me? The ones in the back I can see. Edit* I've removed the 3 protective films on the back, but tried using my nail to remove the front and nothing comes out, there is a gap and I really don't want to be pulling the screen apart.
I have had exactly the same experience, I took off the warrenty sticker but I could not find any film to lift off from the front screen. I also got my unit from JL delivered last Tuesday. I tried looking at the corners for a place to lift and could not find any points. I would be interested to know if you do find a film?

jmacc

Distinguished Member
I have had exactly the same experience, I took off the warrenty sticker but I could not find any film to lift off from the front screen. I also got my unit from JL delivered last Tuesday. I tried looking at the corners for a place to lift and could not find any points. I would be interested to know if you do find a film?
Got mine from JL last monday, c8 is a march build. came with the screen protector on it.

chico1

Standard Member
Got mine from JL last monday, c8 is a march build. came with the screen protector on it.
Interesting, I guess I need to look closer. I really could not find a point to see where a film could be lifted. Where did you pick it from ? did it have a tab?

Incrediboy

About to pull the trigger on a 77" C8 for a "good price" here in Singapore. Really peeves me that electronics are so expensive over here. I miss JL and Richer sounds!

77" C8 retail is $20,000 SGD / £11.5k but they've got a display set (which they're going to replace the panel for me) for $9000 SGD £5200.

Was eyeing up the 82" Q90R but that's £6900! Also coming from a 55" C6 so I'm really not sure I can live with anything over than OLED (Blooming etc).

Before I go ahead with this, anyone have any last minute suggestions? My viewing distance is 3m.

slap2006

Hi all I’m in a bit of a pickle at the mo I’m looking into buying an oled and this is one of them now a Panasonic fz952 has court my eye. What I’ve been read they are pretty much the same apart from Dolby vision and hdr10 plus the pan has a slightly better picture can you help with my selection please thanks all

hmsq

Interesting, I guess I need to look closer. I really could not find a point to see where a film could be lifted. Where did you pick it from ? did it have a tab?
I'll let you know, honestly I also cannot see it. The thing is I don't even want to remove it, if it doesn't do any harm to the TV. In the long run it will help me with the kid before she scratches it with toys. ;) But of course I want to know if the scratches are on the panel or the protector, as I paid for new and not used.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
yeah I think it was 2 tabs. one each side if I mind correctly.

jmacc

Distinguished Member
I'll let you know, honestly I also cannot see it. The thing is I don't even want to remove it, if it doesn't do any harm to the TV. In the long run it will help me with the kid before she scratches it with toys. ;) But of course I want to know if the scratches are on the panel or the protector, as I paid for new and not used.
I'd take it off, Oled panels get pretty warm.
Wouldn't want it to over heat and maybe help to cause burn in issues etc? Also if it heats up the glue on the screen protector that can't be good for it.
This is if you do have a screen protector on there :thumbsdow:D

franko3

If you have a protector on it I'd definitely take it off, mine looked awful with it on and at first glance I thought it was cracked! Once I peeled it off I could see that the screen was perfect.
I have added a close up photo of the corner of mine, compare how shiny it is with yours?

20190611_133131~2.jpg

Joe C

When mine came back from being repaired, the protector on it was a right sod to get off