Quantcast

LG OLED C8 owners and discussion

adbailey18

LG have said that I have no warranty for the C8 since it's a replacement so my guarentee ended last year in June 2018. The TV was manufactured in November 2018, so I can't help but be a little miffed that the TV is apparently out of warranty before it was built.

Am I wrong to think I should kick up a bit more of a fuss? I responded to LG's email 3 or so days ago and no response since.
Sorry, I don't understand! How do you mean the warranty expired before it was built?

jwsg

Its normal for the warranty for a replacement item to run only until the original warranty date or a set number of days for some parts. This isnt really a C8 issue.

OJman

Yeah, I figure there'd be some kind of something. Probably just 30 days, but it's frustrating as I've lost the 5 year warranty that I would have had for the B6.

adbailey18

Well you didnt lose it as such, you claimed a new set from it! I'd still try arguing the point, worth a shot

OJman

Yeah, I know, I'm probably being a little demanding but I preferred the burn in to this dead pixel cluster.

Chamberlain

Well about Panasonic..... :eek:

I haven't used my GZ2000 for two days and thought I'd give it another go and 'tried' watching the new season of vikings but after just the first episode I just couldn't stand it anymore, this thing is a near-black flashing overshoot machine... It's like 10 times worse than on my C8. I still don't know if I got a faulty unit or not but this current GZ2000 of mine is just disgusting. I'll try to get it repaired/swapped or whatever and if that doesn't fix it or they don't see this as a fault I will have to get rid of it. :confused:

Also the flashing issue aside, I hate to say this but the C8 handles low bitrate crap quality content better. ;)
I havent noticed flashing on my gz950 but i do agree that the c8 handles lower bitrate better, the backgrounds look cleaner with less color banding etc.

Anyway, do you get a notification when youve reached 2000 hours and it does the pixel refresher? Because out of nowhere i've noticed a dark vertical band that definitely wasnt there before and i've heard that can happen after a pixel refresher.

j82k

I havent noticed flashing on my gz950 but i do agree that the c8 handles lower bitrate better, the backgrounds look cleaner with less color banding etc.

Anyway, do you get a notification when youve reached 2000 hours and it does the pixel refresher? Because out of nowhere i've noticed a dark vertical band that definitely wasnt there before and i've heard that can happen after a pixel refresher.
Did you watch the first episode of the new season of Vikings on your gz950? The overshoot was really obvious for me in that one.

As far as I'm aware Panasonics do the big comp cycle every 1000 hours. I've only done a manual one so no idea what kind of notification you'll get. You can check the panel hours and comp cycle counter at "menu -> help -> system information" at status 4 and 8. Panel Maintenance-2 is the big one.

Attachments

Chamberlain

Did you watch the first episode of the new season of Vikings on your gz950? The overshoot was really obvious for me in that one.

As far as I'm aware Panasonics do the big comp cycle every 1000 hours. I've only done a manual one so no idea what kind of notification you'll get. You can check the panel hours and comp cycle counter at "menu -> help -> system information" at status 4 and 8. Panel Maintenance-2 is the big one.
Vikings is not available here on Amazon. I have been watching Justified on Amazon lately though and my C8 shows lots of flashing in certain dark scenes but not the gz950.

Was talking about the C8 btw, out of nowhere there is a dark band to the right which wasnt there before so im wondering if a big comp cycle has caused this.

philbaldwin

Does anyone know how offset the VESA mounting is from centre?

I’ve got a 65” C8 to hang, with a inch gap around the perimeter. TV measures up fine, but the mount is screwed to the wall dead centre. Which when purchasing the LG I didn’t realise how off centre the VESA points are!!

CoolDust

Vikings is not available here on Amazon. I have been watching Justified on Amazon lately though and my C8 shows lots of flashing in certain dark scenes but not the gz950.

Was talking about the C8 btw, out of nowhere there is a dark band to the right which wasnt there before so im wondering if a big comp cycle has caused this.
You get a notification when the 2000 hour cycle runs, mines popped up a few months ago when I turned the set off for the night. It would be pretty hard to miss.

C8ForEva

Novice Member
Hi All,

New to the forum, so I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed but I did search through the last few days at least to try and find discussion around this. I was watching the Mandalorian Chapter 5 through the WebOS Disney+ App and noticed significant luminance fluctuation.

22:20 - 22:37 are the best examples as the camera is mostly still as opposed to the previous scene (19:36 - 21:00) which does show great luminance fluctuation but may be explained away by camera movement or cinematography/lighting choices.

I did some research, and from what I can tell I thought all this was sorted out with firmware version 4.10.15 (
). So either I'm observing something that is different than the Luminance fluctuation described in the original HDTVTest video, or the issue isn't entirely fixed.

Any thoughts?

danstona

Standard Member
I swear I updated my set over the weekend when it prompted a software update was available. My wife was home all day with our sick little one, never noticed an issue while watching the TV during the day. I came down after showering this evening, flipped it on.. and there's terrible flickering/shuddering on any overlays like watching hockey or a news channel. I was able to resolve by flipping to game mode on the picture settings... but wtf? Ive only had this set since October...

mrtickleuk

I noticed today that the BBC iPlayer app stopped working on version 05.10.40
Anybody else having this issue?
Fine for me on 05.10.40. Try a "cold reboot" - turn TV off, unplug from wall, wait 1 minute, power back on.

edd handforth

J Lewis and lg do not deserve should not be aloud to trade in the UK brand new 55' c8 a purchased in feb and still not working properly but who knows christmas is allmost here

ozzzy189

Can you no longer roll back fw to a previous one?
I wish I'd never updated. Dark scenes on YouTube are a total mess, and watching the porsche taycan carwow video in the snow is even worse. This fw has ruined my TV

mrtickleuk

Can you no longer roll back fw to a previous one?
I wish I'd never updated. Dark scenes on YouTube are a total mess, and watching the porsche taycan carwow video in the snow is even worse. This fw has ruined my TV
Make sure you try a cold reboot (TV off, unplug from wall, replug).
The differences between 5.10.35 and 5.10.40 are literally one logo.
No you cannot roll back, FAQ.

ozzzy189

Make sure you try a cold reboot (TV off, unplug from wall, replug).
The differences between 5.10.35 and 5.10.40 are literally one logo.
No you cannot roll back, FAQ.
Cheers, I'll try it. Joe achillies has just posted a new video of the BMW M8 and the compression and noise is dreadful and it's not a low res video. If it doesn't go away I will be very peed off.

mrtickleuk

Cheers, I'll try it. Joe achillies has just posted a new video of the BMW M8 and the compression and noise is dreadful and it's not a low res video. If it doesn't go away I will be very peed off.
Yep. If it doesn't go away, it will definitely be down to something else, not caused by the new HEVC logo on the licences page in the user manual. ;)

ozzzy189

Yep. If it doesn't go away, it will definitely be down to something else, not caused by the new HEVC logo on the licences page in the user manual. ;)
I still don't know why this has suddenly happened though. Can you please look at the two videos I mentioned if it's not too much trouble? Maybe it's just YouTube.

ozzzy189

Lan cable.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I still don't know why this has suddenly happened though. Can you please look at the two videos I mentioned if it's not too much trouble? Maybe it's just YouTube.
I just looked at the M8 one and it looks ok here.

Did you check the resolution of the video? (click the video to bring up the three little dots to select size) It started playing at 480p here, once I changed it to 1080 it was much better.