LG OLED C8 TV owners and discussion

Well fudge the lot .. watching the Southampton game and up pooped a V/BAND on the right off the screen and once seen it is difficult to not see it when the camera pans.Gutted once again Football finds issues like nothing else does.

Yep i swear i was watching Goals on Sunday and not a sign of it .. then the Arsenal match started and there it is bold as brass .... if it does go back despite what a great tv it is , that would be me and the C8 finished .. for 4 days the best tv i have had and in that time i had watched alot of Football with not a hint of a band .. even what i hear is the dreaded The Haunting Of Hill House passed with flying colours .. and even now it does.
Maybe i should take up knitting as Football and OLEDS is a lethal cocktail.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you should give it another comp cycle and see if it disappears again? My Philips 803 still does not show even a hint of banding in football and I also watched the Southampton-Arsenal game. I think mine is beyond the changing uniformity phase to. But you never know with Oled

Last edited:
Haunting of Hill House, episode 6, ASBL-fest for the first half an hour, had to keep stopping and restarting the show every 5 minutes to get back full brightness, because it was dimming to the point I could barely see anything. I wonder why it dims dark content...

Haunting of Hill House, episode 6, ASBL-fest for the first half an hour, had to keep stopping and restarting the show every 5 minutes to get back full brightness, because it was dimming to the point I could barely see anything. I wonder why it dims dark content...

The brightness fluctuates quite a bit. It was reported in the Sony thread as well.

Haunting on Hill House Netflix/DV - black levels

Not sure if this was a TV issue or a DV metadata issue. I think it's the latter

I can see no dimming other than all the indoor scenes being dimly lit ,the PQ for DV is P poor ..

On the other hand the subtitles are very bright

I can see no dimming other than all the indoor scenes being dimly lit ,the PQ for DV is P poor ..

I don't remember subtitles in this episode? Might be wrong though lol. Subtitles are so bright with DV that it would considerably change APL so ASBL probably wouldn't ever occur.

For me, default brightness setting, the picture dimmed constantly...i mean, it was happening slowly over several minutes, so it didn't suddenly get darker, it wasn't that obvious until I stopped and restarted. Stopping and restarting brought back full brightness...but then within 5 minutes it was dimmed considerably again and to stop and restart again

Last edited:

In my experience, viewing Dolby Vision encoded content along with subtitles has a detrimental effect to the overall image...

Thank you - They didn't today. I was sent this reply:
I am sorry to say that the request you have submitted for power direct does not match all or parts of the criteria in our price matching policy. As their only operational store is a showroom this would not apply under our High Street Competitor criteria of our terms and conditions which can be found below:
Also when you have a PM does this last 28 days or is that after you have purchased?
Thanks

In my experience, viewing Dolby Vision encoded content along with subtitles has a detrimental effect to the overall image...
It looked the same on the Netflix app on a 4k Firestick with no subtitles ... that entire series seems like A-Z of how not to do DV, it would probably look better in plain old HD.

I am sorry to say that the request you have submitted for power direct does not match all or parts of the criteria in our price matching policy. As their only operational store is a showroom this would not apply under our High Street Competitor criteria of our terms and conditions which can be found below:
Also when you have a PM does this last 28 days or is that after you have purchased?
Thanks
Try multiple ones , i have been PM with Power Direct and i know others have also .. it is pot luck if you get a jobsworth , or someone who is more easy .. remember they PM with The Electronics Emporium which is a scam site.. just keep submitting .. i hope you get your match.

Thanks
Missed your last point , you have 28 days to buy the tv from the date you were granted the PM, and once purchased you have 28 days to put in more PM'S.

I don't remember subtitles in this episode? Might be wrong though lol. Subtitles are so bright with DV that it would considerably change APL so ASBL probably wouldn't ever occur.

For me, default brightness setting, the picture dimmed constantly...i mean, it was happening slowly over several minutes, so it didn't suddenly get darker, it wasn't that obvious until I stopped and restarted. Stopping and restarting brought back full brightness...but then within 5 minutes it was dimmed considerably again and to stop and restart again
No i must have subtitles enabled .. i can't say i noticed any obvious dimming .. just a very Milky oddly coloured content .. as i said if that is DV well it is not the DV that i remember .

I know we are going over old ground but can you not return your C8 and try another.

No i must have subtitles enabled .. i can't say i noticed any obvious dimming .. just a very Milky oddly coloured content .. as i said if that is DV well it is not the DV that i remember .

I know we are going over old ground but can you not return your C8 and try another.

ASBL dimming isn't a panel defect, it's a 'feature' lol.

If you have subtitles enabled, it's unlikely you'll ever encounter it. Especially with DV content, the subtitles are so bright that the APL changes considerably when they are on screen (ASBL <gradual dimming> kicks in when the APL of a scene doesn't change for 2 minutes, and will continue to gradually dim until the APL changes).

Last edited:
ASBL dimming isn't a panel defect, it's a 'feature' lol.

If you have subtitles enabled, it's unlikely you'll ever encounter it. Especially with DV content, the subtitles are so bright that the APL changes considerably when they are on screen (ASBL <gradual dimming> kicks in when the APL of a scene doesn't change for 2 minutes, and will continue to gradually dim until the APL changes).
I also watched it at the same time on a 4K FIRESTICK with no subtitles i could not see any obvious dimming on that... you(like me with Football if a band is there i will spot it , and i have on this C8 so back it goes) are now hyper sensitive to any fluctuation in Brightness even if it's part and parcel of the content.. and you will be like that until you can accept it as that or get a tv that does not replicate the issue.

I also watched it at the same time on a 4K FIRESTICK with no subtitles i could not see any obvious dimming on that... you(like me with Football if a band is there i will spot it , and i have on this C8 so back it goes) are now hyper sensitive to any fluctuation in Brightness even if it's part and parcel of the content.. and you will be like that until you can accept it as that or get a tv that does not replicate the issue.

ASBL is a real thing, all oleds do it to protect I guess from burn-in ;-)

It can be turned off in the service menu.

How to: Turn off ASBL on LG OLED TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Hi all,

My C8 has had a few issues with Netflix and Amazon apps recently although i am not sure they are related. I run an ethernet cable straight into the TV from a switch, my internet speed is 80meg BT Infinity 2. I use the ARC functionality which takes the sound down to my Denon 3300 AV amp. On Netflix the sound stops every now and again before coming back, the picture is unaffected. Does anyone know how I might stop this happening?

The Amazon app was basically just freezing but the sound was continuing so the opposite to the Netflix symptoms.

Anyone had this and resolved?
Thanks

Are you using the right type of HDMI cable? I had to upgrade mine and the sound dropping out problem was sorted.

ASBL is a real thing, all oleds do it to protect I guess from burn-in ;-)

It can be turned off in the service menu, but really shouldn't have to, it shouldn't happen on dark content.

How to: Turn off ASBL on LG OLED TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
If it's there to stop Screen Burn out/in as i had it on a B6 nothing to do with how bright the picture is ... more the amount of hours used , also the all point of all HDR implementation is for a brighter, crisper, more detailed PQ which ASBL/ABL makes it not worthy of the name.

As you say ABL implemented on dark content is plain stupid .

For those with recent concerns over Netflix's Haunting of Hill House and poor DV picture - the main issue I noticed was that blacks were raised to a borderline grey level - it basically looks like watching on a budget LCD TV.

I don't think the C8 is to blame here, nor is the show itself, but rather, I think it's a Netflix bug.

Watching Hill House on an external device (my Xbox One X) where I can disable Dolby Vision and thus force HDR10, the show looks much better and black is now black. I posted about this about a week ago too, someone with an Apple TV 4K box also tried the same by disabling DV and also saw a big improvement.

I don't think the show is DV, but rather Netflix forces it into DV when it should just leave it to HDR10. So there's a workaround at least.

If it's there to stop Screen Burn out/in as i had it on a B6 nothing to do with how bright the picture is ... more the amount of hours used , also the all point of all HDR implementation is for a brighter, crisper, more detailed PQ which ASBL/ABL makes it not worthy of the name.

As you say ABL implemented on dark content is plain stupid .

ASBL has nothing to do with hours, and everything to do with APL (Average Picture Level). If the APL remains unchanged for >2min, ASBL will gradually dim the screen until the APL changes. You could describe it as a form of ABL, but instead of dimming the screen based on peak luminance, it dims it based on APL.

And yes, the black level is clearly raised on this and on pretty much every DV title I've watched on Netflix recently. Not sure what's up with that.

Hill house looked fantastic on my E7, are these issues just an 8 series thing?

Hill house looked fantastic on my E7, are these issues just an 8 series thing?

I was commenting on ASBL, not the content itself. But certainly on my C8, blacks were raised and washed out, but I'm seeing that on all kinds of Netflix DV content. Not sure if it's the content or the TV. It all seems washed out, lIke Waynej says, looks like watching it on a cheapo LCD

I don't think the show is DV, but rather Netflix forces it into DV when it should just leave it to HDR10. So there's a workaround at least.

Which is what I have been telling for ages. Its some incorrect metadata issue from Netflix which causes brightness to fluctuate.

If you have an external player just try forcing DV OFF so that it can send vanilla HDR10.

99% of the 4K UHD discs DV look fine on my C8 and is better than the HDR10 counterpart.

Panel variance is another factor we have to consider. On one TV default Brightness might look fine but in some we have to increase or decrease. My first C8, Brightness > 51 resulted in gray black bars and washed out in-scope image but on my second that happens only after Brightness > 56.

I thought I would try the opening scenes of Interstellar for the first time on my C8 ,all I can say is that it’s never looked better :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom