Quantcast

LG OLED C8 owners and discussion

VelimirSaban

Standard Member
Judder is more noticeable on oleds due to their fast response time. You can either try to get used to it or use Trumotion to smooth it out - but this can cause soap opera effect and artifacts (I have an LG B6 and use Dejudder at 4). LG's 2018 Oled TV's have Black Frame Insertion (Motion Pro under Trumotion controls) which is great for improving motion but reduces brightness a bit and some people notice flicker.
Thanks!

What I still don't understand, and can't find definitive answer anywhere is: why some movies run amazingly beautiful-smooth, and other have this stutter in the back of slow moving shots? What is the difference? Encoding format? Framerate? PAL/NTSC source of bluray? Yesterday I watched super smooth StarWars on my Apple TV 4k, then, later You Were Never Really Here bluray rip was super stuttering. Tried playing with trumotion, and, if I set it on 1 or 2, it's ok for 10 secs, then picture hang for a milisec, twitches, and then again smooth until it happens again after 10-20 secs. Without tru motion, there is stuttering.

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
What I still don't understand, and can't find definitive answer anywhere is: why some movies run amazingly beautiful-smooth, and other have this stutter in the back of slow moving shots? Yesterday I watched super smooth StarWars on my Apple TV 4k, then, later You Were Never Really Here bluray rip was super stuttering.
Reading between the lines... That 'Blu-ray rip' is an unknown quantity, so you have no idea what the person did to it when they ripped it. They probably did something funky with the encode to reduce its file size for uploading... So I would suggest that is your issue.

Paul

VelimirSaban

Standard Member
Reading between the lines... That 'Blu-ray rip' is an unknown quantity, so you have no idea what the person did to it when they ripped it. They probably did something funky with the encode to reduce its file size for uploading... So I would suggest that is your issue.

Paul
Yeah, what I learned from almost a week now with this amazing TV is that, it's a shame to even bother with anything that is not pure BluRay, this TV deserves the best quality you can get, and you will be rewarded with perfection. I am still in awe after watching few LG demos from here: http://4kmedia.org/ How much better can we even get in the future?

Hm, and then I saw this: Why Sony's 8K, 10,000-Nit, 85-inch TV Is The Best I've Ever Seen

haha

slackbladder

I have my 55" C8 sitting in its box in front of me. Won't be setting it up until the new TV stand/unit I got for it arrives later today. Then it, my returned Marantz SR6011 (which had better been fixed), my Kef Q series speakers and Elac A4 Atmos speakers will aaaaallllll be wired up which will take bleedin' ages. I'll come back with impressions later.

staffy 2

Can’t understand all these motion issues with Oled.It put me off getting one but then I took the plunge five months ago and not one stutter the motion is perfect with my eyes it’s so smooth and trumotion is off.Is it just some people are sensitive to Oled motion.

google

Distinguished Member
Can’t understand all these motion issues with Oled.It put me off getting one but then I took the plunge five months ago and not one stutter the motion is perfect with my eyes it’s so smooth and trumotion is off.Is it just some people are sensitive to Oled motion.
The trouble with motion is that one man's meat is another man's poison. When you get someone saying that they wish every film looked like the UHD disc of Billy Lynn's Long Half Time Walk and another saying please no, where do you go from there? You can give people the tools on the TV to try and get motion how they want it but even then you will still get some people not able to get motion how they want it on every source. I'm just thankful that I am happy with Tru-Motion off on my E6. It would drive me nuts having to mess around with the motion settings if not.

slackbladder

TV stand won't arrive until Saturday! TV still in its box. Then I'm working Sunday. Hardly any time to use it. Oh well.

avnuta

What hifi have just published their review of the 55 C8 they give it 5 stars and say its a superb tv and will be a contender for awards later in the year. In a nutshell lots of small improvements added together bring about a substantial upgrade over last years model.

Last edited:

eltond

What hifi have just published their review of the 55 C8 they give it 5 stars and say its a superb tv and will be a contender for awards later in the year. In a nutshell lots of small improvements added together bring about a substantial upgrade over last years model.
Do u have the link for the review ? Can’t see it

73HENNY

Isn't that what they say every review though? Bit disappointing to see the motion isn't as good as it could be. Pity there isn't a set with Sony motion, LG HDR compatibility and Panasonic accuracy :(

avnuta

Isn't that what they say every review though? Bit disappointing to see the motion isn't as good as it could be. Pity there isn't a set with Sony motion, LG HDR compatibility and Panasonic accuracy :(
I am just posting what is published, not my opinion. I regard Vincent Teoh at HDTV along with Steve at AVF very highly and their reviews are for me are of far more value but they are not yet available. At the end of the day this is just one of many reviews to come and the only person who can make the final call is YOU.With regards to motion handling it's just one reviewers opinion and as motion is very objective I would not take it too literally. Having said that Sony do seem to have the edge although it sounds like LG have really made big strides this year so the difference is likely to be far less noticeable from what reported with users thus far.

Last edited:

slackbladder

The way it's going the choices were either the C8, the Q9FN or the Sony AF8 for me. I would have chosen the Samsung normally but I wanted to try an OLED. Given its popularity and success that meant the LG C8. Given that my current tv is a KS7500 the change will be significant I think. Hopefully I'll get it set up and installed today.

avnuta

The way it's going the choices were either the C8, the Q9FN or the Sony AF8 for me. I would have chosen the Samsung normally but I wanted to try an OLED. Given its popularity and success that meant the LG C8. Given that my current tv is a KS7500 the change will be significant I think. Hopefully I'll get it set up and installed today.
Good luck with the new tv, looking forward to hearing your impressions as it's on my shopping list.

MEGATAMA

Lg is taking awards for best TV from year to year and it seems that this year will be the same.
Its not strange that they are investing 18 bilions in oled tech if we look at all success they made in last couple years....

deon444

Distinguished Member
Johns Lewis have just knocked £500 off the C8 which now brings it to £3.5k that’s a price I would bite at
Looked on the JL site and says the 500 off is Inc in the price of 3999.95

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Lg is taking awards for best TV from year to year and it seems that this year will be the same.
Its not strange that they are investing 18 bilions in oled tech if we look at all success they made in last couple years....
Taking awards in CES even before being professionally reviewed lol

Mensy

Distinguished Member
This is rtings 55C8

Attachments