LG OLED C8 Netflix, no center channel?

ncnmra

Novice Member
I'm pretty sure this is a bug with the recent update to the Netflix app on my LG OLED C8 TV. I noticed recently that I'm not getting any audio out of the center channel on my Denon receiver. It is connected to the TV via HDMI ARC. This has worked great for months. I believe it stopped working after a recent update.

The center speaker works in all other Apps on the TV, including Disney Plus and the photos/videos native app.

Anyone else experience this? I realize it is a pretty specific scenario and as such I haven't found any references online.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Do you get the same result if you use Netflix from another source? Is it just certain items, or everything? What happens if you re-watch something that you previously had no problems with?

ncnmra

Novice Member
Works fine with other apps on the TV, and works fine on my HTPC via the Windows 10 Netflix app. Netflix only supports 5.1 audio through the Windows App, not through a browser, and in each case I can see that my receiver identifies the source as DD+, so I know its doing the decoding.

I presume this is a bug with the Netflix app on the LG TV (webOS?), but was just trying to see if anyone noticed the same issue.

Last edited:

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Do you get centre channel output on stuff that you’ve watched before though? I ask, as in the past I’ve had issues with lip sync and 2.0/5.1 audio on just one particular series. My LG prompted me to update the Netflix app. last night, which I haven’t yet done. Does your amp. have indicators to show what audio channels that you’re receiving? If the centre channel is in,y missing on Netflix from the LG TV, it might be worth talking to the support team. It does seem like an LG-specific issue though, if other Netflix sources are OK.

ncnmra

Novice Member
I don't know if previous stuff works because I wasn't sure when it stopped working. Sometimes I just use the internal TV speaker, and even when I do use the receiver, it isn't super obvious since some of the dialog comes out of the side speakers. I have to look deeper, but I don't think the Denon AVR-S700W shows on the front panel which speakers it is getting. I do know that it is getting a surround signal, since I see the "DD+" come on when Netflix starts (as with Disney+, etc).

I did get on a support chat with them to let them know.

laertes2222

Novice Member
I have a LG C7 with a Denon Heos AVR. The center channel drops out from time to time only for streaming (Netflix, Amazon Prime). Only thing that helps is switching off the TV, wait a minute and switch it on again. I think I have read somewhere that you need to switch off the quickstart option. Otherwise a restart would not reset the TV.
As it only happens every two months or so, it doesn't really bother me.

Razor TV

Standard Member
I'm pretty sure this is a bug with the recent update to the Netflix app on my LG OLED C8 TV. I noticed recently that I'm not getting any audio out of the center channel on my Denon receiver. It is connected to the TV via HDMI ARC. This has worked great for months. I believe it stopped working after a recent update.

The center speaker works in all other Apps on the TV, including Disney Plus and the photos/videos native app.

Anyone else experience this? I realize it is a pretty specific scenario and as such I haven't found any references online.
I update firmware and got issues with ARC and sound. Netflix via TV app intermittent sound drop outs but stable after few reloads. Defo bug in firmware.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom