LG OLED C6 & Atmos Help

canteen

Novice Member
Im upgrading my sound system and trying to determine how to get Atmos with my current LG OLED C6 TV which is a 2016 model. This has been confusing determining the capabilities of each TV but so far here is what my understanding is...

1.) 2016 LG TV (6 series) will not pass compressed Atmos via ARC from native app
2.) 2016 LG TV (6 series) WILL pass compressed Atmos via ARC from another source such as an AppleTV

Can someone confirm for me that point #2 is correct? Or will I require something like an HDFury Arcana to get this working?

Additionally, I'd like to only be using 1 remote. If I used something like AppleTV 4k on a standard HDMI TV input and then ARC to the sound bar that means I cant control the power/volume via ARC/CEC right? Whats the best solution here.

next010

Distinguished Member
Im upgrading my sound system and trying to determine how to get Atmos with my current LG OLED C6 TV which is a 2016 model. This has been confusing determining the capabilities of each TV but so far here is what my understanding is...

1.) 2016 LG TV (6 series) will not pass compressed Atmos via ARC from native app
2.) 2016 LG TV (6 series) WILL pass compressed Atmos via ARC from another source such as an AppleTV

Can someone confirm for me that point #2 is correct? Or will I require something like an HDFury Arcana to get this working?

Additionally, I'd like to only be using 1 remote. If I used something like AppleTV 4k on a standard HDMI TV input and then ARC to the sound bar that means I cant control the power/volume via ARC/CEC right? Whats the best solution here.

The C6 did not ship with Atmos support but LG may have patched it in via firmware update as some people claim it works though they could also be wrong.

Your best bet is to get a sound system that has HDMI inputs so you can connect the ATV directly and get Atmos that way bypassing the ARC of the TV and avoid any pitfalls.

Yes the ATV supports HDMI-CEC and volume control etc, WebOS 3.x can see devices connected to a sound system via input manager so long as the sound system and device support HDMI-CEC.

You might want to look at LG's own Atmos soundbars as that should at least ensure CEC compatibility with the TV, some of the higher end models do have a HDMI input.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom