LG OLED C1 and Danon 4500H + PS5

M3tamorf

Standard Member
Hello everyone in advance apologies for my poor English.
Just to briefly introduce my 5.1 system.
TV- LG OLED65 "C1
AVR-X4500H-Denon
FL / FR-Dali Oberon 7
Center-Dali Oberon vokal
RR / RL-Dali Oberon 1
Sub -Dali E-12F

Now what I don't know is the connection of the mentioned Denon AVR with TV via eARC.

The TV is currently connected to the Denon AVR via ARC, PS5 and PS4 PRO, they are directly connected to the TV. I am also a Netflix and HBO GO subscriber.

What bothers me are the following things:

1. which in the settings the TV should put under audio?

IMG_20211106_133431.jpg

2.In this picture you can see that everything goes through ARC, (1)
although in the next picture (2) eARC is marked, but nowhere does it say that it works.

(1)
IMG_20211106_134030.jpg

(2)
IMG_20211106_134115.jpg

3. It is also not clear to me what I should put under the input audio format, does it go bitstream or pcm?

IMG_20211106_134059.jpg

IMG_20211106_134055.jpg

4. The last thing I would like to know is what do I put under DTV audio settings?

IMG_20211106_134044.jpg

The HDMI cable that connects the TV and AVR via ARC is this in the picture, is there a problem with a cable that does not support eARC?

IMG_20211106_140331.jpg
IMG_20211106_140344.jpg
IMG_20211106_140350.jpg

Furthermore does anyone know what settings would need to be set in the receiver itself for eARC to work?

Does anyone know which options should be set in the AVR itself for the best possible performance of all materials for PS5, Netflix, USB movies?

And the last part that I have left is the settings in the playstaton 5 itself.

What do I do under HDMI device type?

IMG_20211106_141315.jpg

What do I put under sound effects?

IMG_20211106_141334.jpg

If something I have not explained well or I need to explain in more detail feel free to say so.

next010

Distinguished Member
1. PCM = stereo
Auto = HDMI-ARC audio formats
Pass-through = HDMI-eARC audio formats.

Be aware that LG only support PCM and Dolby audio formats, DTS is not supported.

2. eARC works with pass-through selected, otherwise the audio formats passed to the TV are downmixed to audio formats compatible with HDMI-ARC.

3. This controls the audio format that is input into the TV from HDMI devices, leave it on bitstream.

4. This affects built in TV tuner, leave it on auto.

For PS5
  • select AV amplifier
  • Linear PCM

With eARC enabled and pass-through selected the PS5 should pass multi-channel PCM 5.1 or 7.1 which is a better option for games as its lower latency than Dolby.

If your Denon has an information display and you can see PCM 5.1 or better than eARC is working.

Make sure firmware of the TV is up to date.

M3tamorf

Standard Member
1. PCM = stereo
Auto = HDMI-ARC audio formats
Pass-through = HDMI-eARC audio formats.
I tried to put pass-through and the sound was distorted (on ps5 and ps4) so I have to put it on AUTO and then it was ok, can you explain to me why this is happening?

For PS5
  • select AV amplifier
  • Linear PCM

Can you explain to me for what reason PCM is the best I see that there is a lot of discussion on the internet about what should actually be there?

When switching between Linear PCM, Dolby and DTS code act is PCM loudest or maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks for the help and answers sir.

M3tamorf

Standard Member
I don't understand i went again to pass-through for ps4 / 5 and now the sound is no longer distorted ..

With pass-through
IMG_20211107_172529_1.jpg

With AUTO.

IMG_20211107_172450.jpg

Should I leave it then on AUTO or pass-through?

next010

Distinguished Member
I tried to put pass-through and the sound was distorted (on ps5 and ps4) so I have to put it on AUTO and then it was ok, can you explain to me why this is happening?

Can you explain to me for what reason PCM is the best I see that there is a lot of discussion on the internet about what should actually be there?

When switching between Linear PCM, Dolby and DTS code act is PCM loudest or maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks for the help and answers sir.

PCM is uncompressed digital audio and is lowest latency audio format so less lag if passing to sound system compared to compressed audio format like Dolby which depending on the hardware is prone to audio lag.

LG do not support DTS so do not select it on playstation.

Selecting Auto will make the TV downmix the PCM from 5.1 to 2.0 (stereo).

I don't understand i went again to pass-through for ps4 / 5 and now the sound is no longer distorted ..

With pass-through

With AUTO.

Should I leave it then on AUTO or pass-through?

With pass-through it is sending surround sound PCM from the looks of it.

With auto your only getting stereo PCM and you have DTS Neural X upmixing to surround sound.

If its correctly working leave it on pass-through or connect your playstations direct to the sound system if you prefer.

next010

Distinguished Member
If I connect ps5 directly to AVR will i have any benefits from it?

It will bypass ARC/eARC and see the audio formats supported by the AVR, the optimal output would still be surround sound PCM.

PS4 is only a HDMI 2.0 device and PS5 barely uses HDMI 2.1 features so its no major loss connecting it to a HDMI 2.0 only AVR.

FEGA

Novice Member
Hello, new to the forum. I need help with something that is holding me back from buying a 65C1. I'm a gamer and been waiting for a 4k tv that have all a gamer needs, like vrr, allm, hgig hdr, dolby vision, and [email protected] fps. Right now I have a ps4 and xbox one conected to a yamaha receiver and then to the tv. I want to connect a new ps5 and xbox series x directly to the LG C1 and then use the eARC to send 5.1 LPCM to the reciever (I'll buy a new one that has eARC). The problem is I have been reading the C1 having serious problems with eARC and that you cannot pass 5.1 LPCM to a reciever.
I would really like to know just one thing: can the eARC pass 5.1 LPCM to a receiver from the ps5 and xbox SX yes or no? if the answer is yes, what brand of receiver are you using?

FEGA

Novice Member
Hello, new to the forum. I need help with something that is holding me back from buying a 65C1. I'm a gamer and been waiting for a 4k tv that have all a gamer needs, like vrr, allm, hgig hdr, dolby vision, and [email protected] fps. I want to connect a ps5 and xbox series x directly to the LG C1 and then use the eARC to send 5.1 LPCM to a yamaha reciever (that also has eARC). The problem is I have been reading the C1 having serious problems with eARC and that you cannot pass 5.1 LPCM to a reciever.
I would really like to know just one thing: can the eARC pass 5.1 LPCM to a receiver from the ps5 and xbox Series X yes or no? if the answer is yes, what brand of receiver are you using?

M3tamorf

Standard Member
Hello, new to the forum. I need help with something that is holding me back from buying a 65C1. I'm a gamer and been waiting for a 4k tv that have all a gamer needs, like vrr, allm, hgig hdr, dolby vision, and [email protected] fps. I want to connect a ps5 and xbox series x directly to the LG C1 and then use the eARC to send 5.1 LPCM to a yamaha reciever (that also has eARC). The problem is I have been reading the C1 having serious problems with eARC and that you cannot pass 5.1 LPCM to a reciever.
I would really like to know just one thing: can the eARC pass 5.1 LPCM to a receiver from the ps5 and xbox Series X yes or no? if the answer is yes, what brand of receiver are you using?
So did you get answer?

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom