LG OLED BX Owners and Discussion Thread

Can anyone confirm if the BX has the a7 processor or the a9, I have read several articles which say it has the older a7 but the LG website lists it as an a9 gen3 which is the same as the CX? Did they upgrade it part way through its lifespan?

Can anyone confirm if the BX has the a7 processor or the a9, I have read several articles which say it has the older a7 but the LG website lists it as an a9 gen3 which is the same as the CX? Did they upgrade it part way through its lifespan?

The link you posted says it’s the A7

Attachments

• ADA86B26-D263-45DC-B600-C8ED7CA8F1A2.png
    ADA86B26-D263-45DC-B600-C8ED7CA8F1A2.png
    249.4 KB · Views: 133
It says a9 on my screen.

Attachments

• Screenshot (349).png
    Screenshot (349).png
    410.6 KB · Views: 125
Software has just been updated to 03.21.80, no idea as yet what it addresses.
1. Improvement
1) VRR Raised near black
=> The new 'Fine Tune Dark Areas' feature, which was added to 2021 and 2020 OLED TVs' menu, will help customers adjust dark areas, which can mitigate some of the raised near black effects customers have experienced.
The feature is available in Picture > Additional Settings > Fine Tune Dark Areas (2020 TVs) and General > Game Optimizer > Fine Tune Dark Areas (2021 TVs)
2) iTV App playback error (in the UK)
=> There were cases where videos looped to play automatically, when interrupted by ads, stopped the automatic play.
The bug has been fixed.

How come there's so few posts on the bx owners thread compared to the cx owners thread? Did the cx outsell the bx massively?

Also, I do browse the cx thread (it seems to be much busier) but in terms of settings etc. should I ignore it? How different are the two sets?

How come there's so few posts on the bx owners thread compared to the cx owners thread? Did the cx outsell the bx massively?

Also, I do browse the cx thread (it seems to be much busier) but in terms of settings etc. should I ignore it? How different are the two sets?
The CX has been out much longer than the BX, also it’s a better TV so some may opt for it rather than the BX which is considered entry.

I would disregard the settings yes as the BX isn’t as bright as the CX.

The CX has been out much longer than the BX, also it’s a better TV so some may opt for it rather than the BX which is considered entry.

I would disregard the settings yes as the BX isn’t as bright as the CX.
Hi captain. I didn't realise the cx had been out a lot longer than the bx. Would explain the bigger thread.
As you say, the cx is brighter, is a better TV, and the bx is considered entry, and thank you for pointing out. Just didn't realise how massive the difference was.
When I saw the sets in Costco I couldn't see much difference so thought they'd have something in common.
Do the sets share any of components at all?
What TV have you got? I'm still in a period in which I can return the set so would be interested to hear.

Hi captain. I didn't realise the cx had been out a lot longer than the bx. Would explain the bigger thread.
As you say, the cx is brighter, is a better TV, and the bx is considered entry, and thank you for pointing out. Just didn't realise how massive the difference was.
When I saw the sets in Costco I couldn't see much difference so thought they'd have something in common.
What TV have you got? I'm still in a period in which I can return the set so would be interested to hear.
It’s not a massive difference - the CX has a slighter faster chip in it with some more memory. It is a bit brighter and can hit more nits for HDR/DV content. This would mean a better picture for possibly darker scenes and faster moving scenes. It has more hdmi 2.1 inputs (1 on the BX). The stand is more robust, but a larger footprint. The inbuilt speakers are better on the CX (I use a Yamaha soundbar anyway)

The CX has been out longer and also many and also many reviews will recommend that you don‘t go for the entry level LG OLED - the BX.

I didn’t want to pay the extra £200 (in January 2021) as this is my first OLED, I don’t watch tv in a heavily lit room (you certainly have to bear this is my mind when deciding BX or CX), The BX is stand is smaller and fitted my unit (getting the CX would mean replacing this).

I came from a cheap Samsung LED 4k HDR 50” tv and the BX is a massive difference and the PQ is amazing, so have no regrets at all at the choice of the BX... as stated I watch many films with barely any lighting so this is not an issue for me.

I have the BX as couldn’t justify the extra £500 which is what the difference was back in November when I got this set. It was also my first OLED.
The CX is a better TV but as pointed out it’s not THAT much of a difference and I’m very happy with my BX but I think on paper it would persuade most people to sway for the CX.
I haven’t got a bad word against this set tbh and much prefer it over my previous Samsung KS series.

Bought LG BX OLED 65" few weeks ago. Using with Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro and Denon X4700H receiver. Image quality amazing, Bright Room preset. I can't stand micro judder when watching 24p movies. Can't believe movies are still recorded in 100 years old 24p format in 2021 - 50/60 fps shoud be standard. So far I can see users are devided mostly into 3 categories: 1. All motion settings OFF, personally can't stand micro judder. You pay for 120Hz panel but use 24Hz only. 2. User preset and setting De-Judder to 1~3. Removes micro judder, minimal soap opera effect, but slight ghosting artifacts around moving objects. 3 OLED Motion Pro to low/medium. Reduces judder, but picture is little darker. Setting OLED LIGHT to max can help. Which setting do you use ? I personally use True Montion set to Cinema Clear. I would say it's like setting de-judder to around 2 but without ghosting artifacts. Why nobody actually using this preset ? Any idea what Cinema Clear exactly does ? Thanks a lot.

Bought LG BX OLED 65" few weeks ago. Using with Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro and Denon X4700H receiver. Image quality amazing, Bright Room preset. I can't stand micro judder when watching 24p movies. Can't believe movies are still recorded in 100 years old 24p format in 2021 - 50/60 fps shoud be standard. So far I can see users are devided mostly into 3 categories: 1. All motion settings OFF, personally can't stand micro judder. You pay for 120Hz panel but use 24Hz only. 2. User preset and setting De-Judder to 1~3. Removes micro judder, minimal soap opera effect, but slight ghosting artifacts around moving objects. 3 OLED Motion Pro to low/medium. Reduces judder, but picture is little darker. Setting OLED LIGHT to max can help. Which setting do you use ? I personally use True Montion set to Cinema Clear. I would say it's like setting de-judder to around 2 but without ghosting artifacts. Why nobody actually using this preset ? Any idea what Cinema Clear exactly does ? Thanks a lot.
I also don’t like judder- my Samsung KS was plagued by it when watching live TV on game shows and soaps even with judder settings on - in fact it sometimes made it worse.

This LG is better however I have noticed it still suffers from it, again on live TV.

I personally use the natural setting as I found the cinema clear gave too much SOE for my liking and natural was a balance between none and cinema clear.

SOE on Natural is much bigger than on Cinema Clear. I believe you mean Smooth, not CC. SOE from highest to lowest from available presets with alternative de-judder setting. Smooth (10) > Natural (5) > Cinema Clear (2)> OFF (0). I find Cinema Clear best: no SOE, no artefacts, no micro judder. I believe it show each frame five times, so 24x5=120. Problem is, that 24p is not actually 24fps, but 23,97. Which can cause dropped frame every few seconds.

My friend has a C6 and a BX. He claims the C6 has a better picture than the BX, I told him to get them calibrated and then compare.

His logic is "the C6 cost more so it must be better" despite being a 5 year old panel.

I myself have an EF950 (2015 OLED) and haven't kept up with the latest developments. But my understanding is the B6 and C6 are the lower end 2016 models and the E6/G6 have the better processors. Whereas LG now just do a B and a C model?

It’s not damning this set with fake praise to say it’s “entry-level” and a step-up from your premier LED. I wish all entry level sets were as good as this! Also it’s not that far off the CX in terms of performance. As Phil Hinton says in his review, a side by side comparison is probably the only way you would see the difference. Once the BX is set up and you run a decent signal to it, the picture is stunning. If you’re coming from a good quality LED you will see the difference, especially if your preferences are for an accurate, natural image and you have all/most of the processing features turned off more akin to the top-level plasmas in their heyday. The sound isn’t that bed either but I do have mine on a large, wide wooden unit so it probably helps the resonance.

Hi, has anyone else noticed when watching dark scenes with naked flames, particularly candles, that there is weird flickering around the flame? I noticed this phenomenon with Netflix DV shows.

I thought I'd jump in on this - I have the 65BX and I love it.But the judder is probably the only thing I don't like about this TV. With Motion on (cinema clear, natural, even user settings with only the minimal setting of 1/10 de judder on) there are noticeable artefacts. I don't mind a tiny bit of SOE at all, infact I quite like it as it setles alot of the background judder. BUT I watch alot of subtitled films and the subtitles wobble, show glitches and blur if there is a fast motion image on display. Not to mention the little blobs on the actual image.

So I've resorted to turning up the brightness and just turning true motion on. I'm resigned to the fact that you cannot have zero judder and no artefacts. It's either no judder with artefacts or no artefacts and a bit of judder. And for me, the artefcts occur more than judder. So I go with judder.

I don't see any artifacts with Cinema Clear, been using it for several weeks now. But I didn't really look for it from half a meter distance :) So if there are any, they are really small. Frankly, I believe there is actually no motion interpolation at all with Cinema Clear. By increasing brightness you mean setting OLED Light to 100 (same as hdr) ?

I don't see any artifacts with Cinema Clear, been using it for several weeks now. But I didn't really look for it from half a meter distance :) So if there are any, they are really small. Frankly, I believe there is actually no motion interpolation at all with Cinema Clear. By increasing brightness you mean setting OLED Light to 100 (same as hdr) ?

There are artefacts everywhere with cinema clear on. If you name a few films you own I can easily point them out with a timestamp. Yes increase OLED light and brightness a bit. Maybe peak brightness and contrast too.

I am at work right now, but what I can remember: Interstellar, Ready Player One, Blade Runner 2049, Gravity, Mad Max Fury Road... All 4K HDR.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom