LG OLED BANDING - LG WARRANTY

anticlock

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

my LG OLED (65C7V) has banding issues, after noticing the vertical stripes during several dark scene's I started googeling and found the term "banding" which is a known problem with OLEDS.

To reproduce the problem I would need to search for a while in different series because it's only visible during dark scene's (did that once, see screenshot below) but with a youtube video on 5% grayscale it is very noticable and reproducable.

During warranty period I reported the problem to LG and they asked me to send a picture of the normal test screen, which is really colorful and bright and ofcourse so colorful and bright that it doesn't show the banding (the banding only occures in dark scene's), so they refused to repair it.

Now a couple of years later my television also is showing pop up's about a possible overheating problem for which LG will cover the repairs (a recall for all those models).

So this time I contacted LG through another channel (facebook) and discribed the overheating popup, but also again asked to repair the banding, which still was annoying and visible in dark scenes, using the exact same pictures for the banding issue I used during warranty and asked if it could be repaired.
This time they acknowledged the problem, it could be repaired, but they send me a proposal for 1300 Euro to replace the panel (the repair for overheating problem was free of charge). They tell me the TV is no longer in warranty and the panel reparation need to be payed for.

Questions:

Do the new/recent LG OLEDs still have banding?
Anyone with an LG OLED who received a new panel because of the banding? Do the replacement panels still have banding?

grtz,S.

IMG_20200117_143835.jpg

lg oled strepen.jpg

I had the same on my E7, (especially after the 2000 hr compensation recycle) it went in for repair, came back cleaner but still bands, went in a second time, they wrote it off (under 5 year warranty) as they didn't have replacement panels. A few on here managed to get replacement panels up to a year after mine.
I ended up paying £150-200 to get a C9, so was happy to do so (hdmi2.1).

I had the same on my E7, (especially after the 2000 hr compensation recycle) it went in for repair, came back cleaner but still bands, went in a second time, they wrote it off (under 5 year warranty) as they didn't have replacement panels. A few on here managed to get replacement panels up to a year after mine.
I ended up paying £150-200 to get a C9, so was happy to do so (hdmi2.1).
The C9 doesn't have banding?

Any oled can have banding unfortunately, just a bit of luck involved. Thankfully my replacement didn’t but does have a very slight pink tint on the right. Again, many oled can have tint from acceptable level to not...those who don’t suffer from either id say are very lucky.

That's not acceptable for such expensive devices lol. As soon as it is clearly noticable during normal viewing I would say it is not within acceptable tolerance and needs to be repaired.

It surprises me there isn't a class action lawsuit for this as there are so many people complaining about it, they do it for much cheaper faulty devices.

Banding-grey2.jpg

This was my LG B6 a few weeks ago. It was about 4 years old but fortunately I had a 5 year guarantee from Currys. They collected it for repair and wrote it off a week later. I was issued a £1200 voucher which is enough to buy a new CX. I've seen many people have the same result.

I bought my 55B7V from Richersounds in 2017 it comes with 6 year warranty. Engineer coming out to see tv. (BandIng issue) If
I offer to part exchange, how are the new C or G series and do they suffer with banding issues after 3-4 years

Last edited:
Richersounds engineer has collected LG parts to repair my banding issue. Thought they could not repair?

Richersounds engineer has collected LG parts to repair my banding issue. Thought they could not repair?

LG appears to be more friendly lately, even repairing dead pixels on OLED screens. Maybe LG realize that dead pixels and banding should be classed as hardware faults.

Questions:

Do the new/recent LG OLEDs still have banding?
Anyone with an LG OLED who received a new panel because of the banding? Do the replacement panels still have banding?

grtz,S.

View attachment 1510446

View attachment 1510445

Unacceptable banding imo, but this is the snag we have UK consumer law that gives us that 30 days to check the goods and return if we are not happy, after that month period retailers would somewhat believe you have to do what 'they' say as in their TnCs ie no refund/exchange on banding or dead pixels or burn in....

But you certainly don't have to accept a TV with that poor image quality since its not fit for its intended purpose and never was which you proved early on, sometimes you have to remind the retailer or manufacturer they are not following the law or consumer regulations act and request an repair or exchange, remember TVs generally even out of 1st year warranty should be good for around 5 years especially if 1K+.

Obviously don't pay the 1300, you could get the latest model for that price obviously.
LG themselves have a £250 panel replacement service but I think this if for the more recent OLED panels going not sure if it does your particular model.

If retailer or manufacturer refuse to repair or exchange, id try a solicitors to get them to write to both telling them they need to follow the law or you may take them to court over this (it works sometimes), btw id say any judge in a small court would favour you especially if your tv is 3-4 years old.

Its when TVs get to year 4+ and 5 years its harder to do imo but not to say it wont work.

Also the newer OLEDS from LG and sony, much bigger banding improvement over the last few years you do sometimes get larger panels with issues 65"+ but typically they are pretty good sometimes its batch or factory issues so it takes a few months to fix itself, again always check for banding and dead pixels whenever you get a new TV, saves time and money later on. Some try Sony oleds if they have no success with LG oleds.

Unacceptable banding imo, but this is the snag we have UK consumer law that gives us that 30 days to check the goods and return if we are not happy, after that month period retailers would somewhat believe you have to do what 'they' say as in their TnCs ie no refund/exchange on banding or dead pixels or burn in....

But you certainly don't have to accept a TV with that poor image quality since its not fit for its intended purpose and never was which you proved early on, sometimes you have to remind the retailer or manufacturer they are not following the law or consumer regulations act and request an repair or exchange, remember TVs generally even out of 1st year warranty should be good for around 5 years especially if 1K+.

Obviously don't pay the 1300, you could get the latest model for that price obviously.
LG themselves have a £250 panel replacement service but I think this if for the more recent OLED panels going not sure if it does your particular model.

If retailer or manufacturer refuse to repair or exchange, id try a solicitors to get them to write to both telling them they need to follow the law or you may take them to court over this (it works sometimes), btw id say any judge in a small court would favour you especially if your tv is 3-4 years old.

Its when TVs get to year 4+ and 5 years its harder to do imo but not to say it wont work.

Also the newer OLEDS from LG and sony, much bigger banding improvement over the last few years you do sometimes get larger panels with issues 65"+ but typically they are pretty good sometimes its batch or factory issues so it takes a few months to fix itself, again always check for banding and dead pixels whenever you get a new TV, saves time and money later on. Some try Sony oleds if they have no success with LG oleds.
Good luck trying to convince the magistrates that a TV is "unfit for purpose" because of a bit of banding that is only visible on very selected content.

Of course we'd all like a perfect panel. Sadly none exist. OP's is pretty typical of many - and better than many in fact.

Good luck trying to convince the magistrates that a TV is "unfit for purpose" because of a bit of banding that is only visible on very selected content.

Of course we'd all like a perfect panel. Sadly none exist. OP's is pretty typical of many - and better than many in fact.
OP''s?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom