LG OLED B9 TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Got mine today. Very pleased, but struggling to get the on board apps to play through my AVR.

is your av reciver earc or just arc

It's ARC, Yamaha.

I've connected the Sky and other peripherals into the AVR and they work fine. It's only when I try to use the tvapps that I'm struggling.

If it won't work I can cast from my phone to a Chrome cast plugged into the AVR.

I accidentally upgraded to the 65” screen to.

It’s certainly a whopper!
Always upsetting when these accidents happen :laugh: and lets leave size out of it! :eek::rotfl:

It's ARC, Yamaha.

I've connected the Sky and other peripherals into the AVR and they work fine. It's only when I try to use the tvapps that I'm struggling.

If it won't work I can cast from my phone to a Chrome cast plugged into the AVR.
Have you updated to the latest software on the TV as LG is aware of an issue with there eARC sometimes causing problems?

Now I just need to find some time to play

40307F59-33A7-4FDB-98C2-CAE6624D932D.jpeg

I really love my 55" B9 but I am a little confused about what HDR settings I should be using with my PS4 Pro, in particular, whether I should have Dynamic Tone Mapping (DTM) in the TV's Settings turned On, Off or set to HGIG (the latter was added via a firmware update last year).

I have been playing the superb Ghost of Tsushima on my PS4 Pro for the last week (approx. 40-50 hours at least!) and it is a great game but I'm just not happy with the HDR. It either looks good outdoors, especially during sunset and sunrise where you get the intense colours and specular lightng on wet surfaces,, but can suffer from overly dark interiors (though some look fine; it's almost like the game is using random lighting).

Is anyone else playing this game on a B9?

I have the HDR calibrated in the PS4 Pro settings using the three-step picture guide where you adjust the setting until the logo is almost invisible (obviously this needs to be redone when changing the DTM setting). In the game I have Brightness set at 50-70 (I just cannot decided which looks best; sometimes 70 can look washed out). I tried playing around with the game's Contrast setting which has Default and Dramatic but the latter just loses shadow detail as it exaggerates the contrast (sometimes it can look good though).

Frustrating that I cannot get a consistent experience with HDR for this game. Most times it can look good but then I go inside a building and I can hardly see anything (during the day!). Yet other buildings, that have less windows, can look brighter yet few of them actually have internal lighting so any light during the day only comes from the windows.

I tried using Google to find out more about HDR for the PS4 Pro but there really isn't much information out there and some of what I've found varies drastically from one person to another. Does HGIG even work on the PS4 Pro? DTM set to HGIG seems to darken the games when I use it which is the opposite of what I would expect for HDR. DTM set to On seems much more punchy but still doesn't fix the blown out blacks and shadows inside buildings.

Think its sorted, I have to set the avr to AV 4.

Hey, I have a B9 plugged into a Q90R Soundbar via eARC. I use a Logitech Elite universal remote. I’ve noticed recently that I have to adjust the sound via the soundbar. I thought typically when using arc the volume can be controlled via tv remote. When I go to LG tv remote and try and adjust the volume it pops up with a grey circle and cross through the middle. Is this a normal behaviour when using eARC? As I say it’s not an issue because the universal remote I’ve changed to soundbar controlling volume but curious if it’s the normal behaviour or a bug in the system...

Sounds odd as I have the Q80R soundbar
and the LG remote works the volume fine - When I press the volume up button on the LG remote I get an accompanying graphic on the TV and the sound bar goes up And when I Press the right hand side top power on or power off button on the LG remote it switches my sound bar TV and human box on or off.

Sounds odd as I have the Q80R soundbar
and the LG remote works the volume fine - When I press the volume up button on the LG remote I get an accompanying graphic on the TV and the sound bar goes up And when I Press the right hand side top power on or power off button on the LG remote it switches my sound bar TV and human box on or off.
It's odd. I notice when I turn the tv on the LG remote controls the volume. But if I change inputs, that's when it gets buggy. Can I ask have you connected the soundbar through the device connector? Wondering if maybe that's the issue. At the end of the day having the universal remote and being able to control volume via the soundbar makes the issue a non issue but still would like to get a solution.

My Xbox One X supports VRR on my 55" B9 as I have had it enabled for months now since it was added in a firmware update.

I do not use my TV as a PC monitor so NVIDIA G-SYNC, though supported, is no use to me. If the Xbox One X supports VRR then does it really matter for next gen consoles that there is no support for AMD's FreeSync? Or will the next gen consoles use FreeSync? Do the PS5 and Xbox Series X support VRR?

Must admit, it is very confusing.

xbox series x will use FreeSync and the article says that 2019' oled will not support FreeSync...
so you set VRR ON on your console, but the TV will not elaborate this input.
if the article is right, even now we set VRR ON on xbox one x but the B9 doesn't do nothing...

Hi all,

I should be taking delivery of my 55” b9 next week. I have a couple of questions to current owners:
1) are the downloadable streaming apps (Netflix, Disney+ etc) usable enough? My 4K Apple TV box mysteriously died a couple of weeks ago and so am attempting to avoid another purchase again at least in the short term.
2)) is HDR content “bright enough”? We will mainly be watching in a dim room in the evening, but my point of comparison currently is my iPhone 11 Pro which can get pretty retina scorching when watching good HDR content (Ghost in the Shell being one good example).
Many thanks - I’ve found this group really informative so far.

I've had mine for a week now and although there are good apps on the TV ( Prime and Netfix for me ), I've struggled to get the ARC working properly with my Yamaha .

So I have a Chromecast in the AVR and cast the apps from my mobile. This is convenient and I have no sound issues.

I’m loving this TV I’m just watching the Hobbit on iTunes and the upscaling is fantastic is never looked so good, hope to get the free 4k upgrade if ever it happens but this looks good for now.

Hi all,

I should be taking delivery of my 55” b9 next week. I have a couple of questions to current owners:
1) are the downloadable streaming apps (Netflix, Disney+ etc) usable enough? My 4K Apple TV box mysteriously died a couple of weeks ago and so am attempting to avoid another purchase again at least in the short term.
2)) is HDR content “bright enough”? We will mainly be watching in a dim room in the evening, but my point of comparison currently is my iPhone 11 Pro which can get pretty retina scorching when watching good HDR content (Ghost in the Shell being one good example).
Many thanks - I’ve found this group really informative so far.

1 The Apps are more than good enough, I sold my Apple 4K box as I could see no discernable difference at all with the TV'S app and the box.

2 The HDR is plenty eye burningly bright, I have to squint at some content as it basically blinds me, I wouldn't worry at all it's a great TV.

Hello, Has anyone had any Issues with their B9. Only got mines a month ago and it suddenly stopped working today. Standby light is on all the time but when switched on it flashes then switches straight back off again. Tried the usual unplug and leave for 60 seconds but it just does the same thing.

If anyone has had the issue would be great if it was an easy fix if not then I guess ill have to use the warranty.

Cheers.

xbox series x will use FreeSync and the article says that 2019' oled will not support FreeSync...
so you set VRR ON on your console, but the TV will not elaborate this input.
if the article is right, even now we set VRR ON on xbox one x but the B9 doesn't do nothing...

I have an Xbox One X and VRR seems to work fine with Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus as it targets 60 fps but rarely locks to it. Game feels perfectly smooth to play though.

Taken from RTINGS.com's review of the B9:

"Variable Refresh Rate

Native Refresh Rate: 120 Hz
Variable Refresh Rate: Yes
HDMI Forum VRR: Yes
FreeSync: No
G-SYNC Compatible: Yes (NVIDIA Certified)
4k VRR Maximum: 60 Hz
4k VRR Minimum: 40 Hz
1080p VRR Maximum: 120 Hz
1080p VRR Minimum: < 20 Hz
1440p VRR Maximum: 120 Hz
1440p VRR Minimum: < 20 Hz
VRR Supported Connectors: HDMI

Update 06/12/2020: The B9 is now compatible with recent NVIDIA G-SYNC graphics cards, and is officially certified as G-SYNC compatible. We updated the VRR range, as we're now able to test this accurately with our RTX 2070.
The LG B9, just like the C9, has a native 120Hz refresh rate. It only supports HDMI Forum's new HDMI-VRR format. Currently, this is only supported on new Xbox Ones, or with a recent NVIDIA graphics card. The B9 is officially supported by NVIDIA's G-SYNC compatible mode, which is enabled automatically when connected to a recent NVIDIA graphics card."

I will not be buying the Xbox Series X as I have a high-end gaming PC that I use with a dedicated 27" G-SYNC monitor. I will be buying the PS5 though which is said to support VRR.

Last edited:
Hey,
What picture mode have you people used for HDR content? seems like the technicolour looks decent.

I have an Xbox One X and VRR seems to work fine with Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus as it targets 60 fps but rarely locks to it. Game feels perfectly smooth to play though.

Taken from RTINGS.com's review of the B9:

"Variable Refresh Rate

Native Refresh Rate: 120 Hz
Variable Refresh Rate: Yes
HDMI Forum VRR: Yes
FreeSync: No
G-SYNC Compatible: Yes (NVIDIA Certified)
4k VRR Maximum: 60 Hz
4k VRR Minimum: 40 Hz
1080p VRR Maximum: 120 Hz
1080p VRR Minimum: < 20 Hz
1440p VRR Maximum: 120 Hz
1440p VRR Minimum: < 20 Hz
VRR Supported Connectors: HDMI

Update 06/12/2020: The B9 is now compatible with recent NVIDIA G-SYNC graphics cards, and is officially certified as G-SYNC compatible. We updated the VRR range, as we're now able to test this accurately with our RTX 2070.
The LG B9, just like the C9, has a native 120Hz refresh rate. It only supports HDMI Forum's new HDMI-VRR format. Currently, this is only supported on new Xbox Ones, or with a recent NVIDIA graphics card. The B9 is officially supported by NVIDIA's G-SYNC compatible mode, which is enabled automatically when connected to a recent NVIDIA graphics card."

I will not be buying the Xbox Series X as I have a high-end gaming PC that I use with a dedicated 27" G-SYNC monitor. I will be buying the PS5 though which is said to support VRR.

like i said, B9 doesn't support FreeSync.
VRR is a standard name for 2 technologies: G-Sync and FreeSync.

Hey all, hoping for some advice!

Had the B9 a week and it’s been great, but today turned on the PS4 (standard model) and just got a black screen on HDMI2. Went through all the reset stuff and safe mode activation for the PS4 with no luck. Lastly tried changing to HDMI3 and it showed just fine on there! Switched back to HDMI2 and got a black screen again (three different HDMIs all the same deal).

Not too fussed about playing on HDMI3 but would rather fix HDMI2 for the long term. Any ideas what might have happened or how I can fix it?

Hello there,

I recently bought the 55 inch B9. Completely happy with it, besides the blue tinting at the edges, especially at the bottom.IMG_2498.jpgIMG_2703.jpgIMG_2708.jpg It is only visible in white screens (commercials, snowy scenes,...). I contacted LG and they said it is within their specifications. I have until Saturday to send it back. I am really in doubt what to do.

IMG_2498.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom