LG OLED B9 TV Owners and Discussion Thread

What are these light strips and why would you want to light up the back of the telly?
It's called bias lighting and you'll find the reasons here:

For my eye, the OLED TV is already too contrasty with too dark shadows, so I use a dim lamp in a corner opposite from the TV and further so it doesn't reflect in the screen. And I also increased the Brightness from 50 to 54 and decreased the Contrast from 85 to 80, OLED Light is at 40, Gamma 2.2. it looks more natural to me, although I'm aware I lost some of those "perfect blacks"...

Last edited:
just try it with my B9, with the lost in space scene.
Like you said, de-judder create artifacts at the value of 2 or higher. I set de-judder to 1 and de blur to 5 and the artifacts disappear. (at least for my eyes)
I tried de-judder 1 and the distorsion is still there but much reduced. de-blur does nothing for 24 fps.

What are these light strips and why would you want to light up the back of the telly?
Hue light strip connected to hue sync, used for bias lighting and these also sync with the colour on the screen for movies etc. Can all be controlled automatically through hue app, harmony remote and alexa

The Apple TV app is available this morning for the B9 in the UK. I've installed it and checked it supports DV (it does) and 5.1 audio (it does).

I don't have Atmos to test.

I’ll be joining the club come tomorrow.

A 55” B9 is making its way here as we speak.

I'm still having issues with EARC and this TV.
When connected to my Ambeo soundbar there are times when the EARC function disappears (the lossy version of a sound format is output to the bar, confirmed by the front display and app) and also when audio drops out for a second or two.

I'm really not sure whether it's the TV or soundbar though.

Has anyone had anything similar?

I noticed that there aren't many posts on this whole thread about EARC.

Hi there. I've got my B9 connected to my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR507) via an optical cable. When I choose Optical on the 'Sound Out' menu (with the Digital Sound Out option set to Auto), Dolby Digital passes through to my receiver. When I choose Internal TV Speaker + Optical on the 'Sound Out' menu, there is no Digital Sound Out option and Dolby Digital stops working through my receiver and I only get PCM.

Is there a fix for this? It worked fine on my old Samsung TV so I don't think it's a problem with the receiver.

Very tempted by the 65b9 at Costco for £1499. Just wanted to ask really if you were all happy with your b9 and didn’t regret not going for the c9 instead? Are the apps smooth to use or a bit laggy with the older cpu of the b9?

I for one am very happy with my 55"B9, which had to follow in the footsteps of a Pioneer kuro.
I'm content with saving the money :D

I really am struggling with the best settings for this tv . I’m very confused with hdr and sdr. When I’m watching virgin on my v6 box what would my setting be?
Use my settings in this thread..it's a best to calibrate lol

Great read

I really am struggling with the best settings for this tv . I’m very confused with hdr and sdr. When I’m watching virgin on my v6 box what would my setting be?
Lots of people asking for settings ....give mine a go.. Hour upon hour spent getting them right

ISFDark Room preset

Oled light 87
Contrast 88
Brightness 50
Sharpness 10
Colour 50
Tint 0

Expert controls
Dynamic contrast off
Super res off
Colour gamut - Auto (but extended is good too (Don't touch)
Gamma 2.2
White balance - warm 1
All other settings leave
Peak brightness Off

Noise reduction auto
Mpeg auto
Smooth gradation low
Black level low
Motion eye care off
Tru motion off

HDR

Standard setting but just turn off motion

Dolby vision
Just turn off motion

I'm going to be a big pest, yes for you and your set they may be, but blah blah blah :laugh:

I'm going to be a big pest, yes for you and your set they may be, but blah blah blah :laugh:
Cheers for the great contribution as always 😂😂👌👍👍

Very tempted by the 65b9 at Costco for £1499. Just wanted to ask really if you were all happy with your b9 and didn’t regret not going for the c9 instead? Are the apps smooth to use or a bit laggy with the older cpu of the b9?

I have the 65B9 for more than 2 months now and I regret for not going with Panasonic or Sony not C9. IMO LG processing leaves much to be desired compared to the others, especially when it comes to motion interpolation (C9 is no different). I use a setting of 4 or 5 for De-Judder because I don't like the natural stutter of 24fps film. If you don't care about this and will switch De-Judder off then you'll not have 90% of my problems (heavy motion artifacts compared to the other brands). Other than this, the general image processing of LG I find not as refined as my former Sony 65XF9005 (returned due to bad bleeding).

The slight lag of B9 menus compared to C9 is not an issue in practice. It is nowhere near as bad as it was with Android on Sony.

Last edited:
I have the 65B9 for more than 2 months now and I regret for not going with Panasonic or Sony not C9. IMO LG processing leaves much to be desired compared to the others, especially when it comes to motion interpolation (C9 is no different). I use a setting of 4 or 5 for De-Judder because I don't like the natural stutter of 24fps film. If you don't care about this and will switch De-Judder off then you'll not have 90% of my problems (heavy motion artifacts compared to the other brands). Other than this, the general image processing of LG I find not as refined as my former Sony 65XF9005 (returned due to bad bleeding).

The slight lag of B9 menus compared to C9 is not an issue in practice. It is nowhere near as bad as it was with Android on Sony.

appreciate the feedback. I think I would keep all the motion processing stuff off so it may not be an issue for me. I saw a Sony ag8 I stir at John Lewis and thought it looked great but the software looks horrible compared to WebOS.

Lots of people asking for settings ....give mine a go.. Hour upon hour spent getting them right

ISFDark Room preset

Oled light 87
Contrast 88
Brightness 50
Sharpness 10
Colour 50
Tint 0

Expert controls
Dynamic contrast off
Super res off
Colour gamut - Auto (but extended is good too (Don't touch)
Gamma 2.2
White balance - warm 1
All other settings leave
Peak brightness Off

Noise reduction auto
Mpeg auto
Smooth gradation low
Black level low
Motion eye care off
Tru motion off

HDR

Standard setting but just turn off motion

Dolby vision
Just turn off motion
I don't mean to sound dumb but by switch off just motion, what exact setting in what menu do you mean by that?

I don't mean to sound dumb but by switch off just motion, what exact setting in what menu do you mean by that?

It's in Picture Mode Settings then in the sub menu Picture Options then in True Motion.

When watching hdr and dolby vision stuff your TV changes into hdr mode and dolby vision mode... it changes all of the settings into preprogrammed settings despite you using for example my normal list of settings for regular viewing .... All I did was turn off motion for each setting... Those are then my recommended settings...

When watching hdr and dolby vision stuff your TV changes into hdr mode and dolby vision mode... it changes all of the settings into preprogrammed settings despite you using for example my normal list of settings for regular viewing .... All I did was turn off motion for each setting... Those are then my recommended settings...
Is there a way I can change the hdr mode settings and Dolby vision without watching something of that level? I seem to only be able to change Dolby settings if I am watching a program in Dolby vision which is very rare, same with hdr

Is there a way I can change the hdr mode settings and Dolby vision without watching something of that level? I seem to only be able to change Dolby settings if I am watching a program in Dolby vision which is very rare, same with hdr
Just note your preferred settings and input them when the content is on... Best way if its an issue..I'm happy with the hdr and dv settings so didn't change them

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom