LG OLED B9 Owners and Discussion Thread

orre

Edit: Nvm i did the new handshake by power cut on both devices for 20 min and its all good now.

I went to 05.00.10 and nvidia drivers 460.79 at the same time, one of these seems to have broken chroma 4:4:4 in SDR again. I'm guessing the fw. The ChromaRes pattern is wrong for me, same as it was before the fw a few months ago right after 30-series released. The chroma-444 pattern seems to have some weirdness going on as well, not as noticable.
Anyone wanna check and confirm? I havent done a lot of testing.

ChromaRes_pic.jpgchroma-444_pic.jpg

Last edited:

RickRock

These are my values with an xbsx.
First image sdr, second image HDR4k120hx

Attachments

• 20201209_202043.jpg
    20201209_202043.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 20201209_202144.jpg
    20201209_202144.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 159

NickSem

Novice Member
Thanks for the heads up on the latest version, it hasn't fixed my B9/Xb1X not doing 4k problem, though. LG UK TV/Monitor suppport was not available today either by chat or phone, I guess he/she was on leave or ill.

Mr collins

Standard Member
These are my values with an xbsx.
First image sdr, second image HDR4k120hx

I see your using the Dolby atmos setting on the Xbox audio out, have you noticed if you switch this to stereo uncompressed or Dolby digital you lose all audio when using certain apps on the Xbox? It seems to be a issue with some apps that force the console to output at 60hz even when the console is set to 120hz like some sort of hdmi handshake issue as switching hdmi sources on the tv will restore the audio. Apps I’ve noticed so far which Force a 60hz output are Netflix, Disney+(Although Disney retains the 120hz output up until you select something to watch),Dolby access, the hdr calibration app, and the blu ray player (which isn’t 60hz its 24 or 50hz depending on the disc but still has the issue)

RickRock

I see your using the Dolby atmos setting on the Xbox audio out, have you noticed if you switch this to stereo uncompressed or Dolby digital you lose all audio when using certain apps on the Xbox? It seems to be a issue with some apps that force the console to output at 60hz even when the console is set to 120hz like some sort of hdmi handshake issue as switching hdmi sources on the tv will restore the audio. Apps I’ve noticed so far which Force a 60hz output are Netflix, Disney+(Although Disney retains the 120hz output up until you select something to watch),Dolby access, the hdr calibration app, and the blu ray player (which isn’t 60hz its 24 or 50hz depending on the disc but still has the issue)
i never use the xbox apps...
i found an issue with fifa 21, when you come back to the game with the quick resume, the game loses audio and you need to restart the game to have audio.
i think it's a game's related bug.
for the audio bug with the apps, i think it's a console bug and it will be fixed with future updates. )i hope).
Another audio bug i found is that when i set the audio output to internal speaker + optical out, i can't send bitstream (DTS) to my yamaha amplifier, i have only PCM sent to my yamaha. i have to select only optical output to have DTS to my yamaha.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
How much did your calibration cost please?
A few hundred £, you would need to contact a Certified ISF Calibrator and ask for a price however as some may charge more or less than others do.

bobbymax

Got fed up with my old PS3 with the disks jamming. (has been great up to now though)
So thought I'd get this LG blue ray & DVD player...........
Amazon product
Does anyone know if it will work with my LG magic remote on the B9?

GoldenWonder

Novice Member
I bought my OLED55B9PLA a few months ago, and like many others find the EPG to be almost unusable. It's slow, laggy and jumps about. LG just told to factory reset the TV so I've done that a couple of times but its no use. Its the same on freesat and freeview, and the mini preview screen doesn't work at all in freesat mode

So I'm looking to revert back to a separate PVR now - I have an older Humax HDR1100S (I have a satellite dish and aerial so can use both) but the Humax is a bit slow these days as well

Assuming no one has managed to get the awful EPG to work properly on their B9 is there a good fast responsive PVR that anyone would recommend - I don't want to spend too much as one of the reasons I bought the LG was because it had all the catch up/services built in (like Now TV/Prime/Netflix) as I was trying to keep the system family friendly with only one remote for everything!

I have to say the picture quality is good, but I doubt I'll buy another LG. Ironically one of other the reasons I chose this LG is because I have an older 32" LG and I liked the way webos worked on it - and the EPG is way faster on the much cheaper TV!

YYDeckard

We have a Humax 4000T and B9 - I have never ever used the EPG on the B9 as its awful so hubby has just always used the 4000T to record anything he likes and I have never heard him complain about the EPG but your mileage may vary.....

Maybe this ?

bobbymax

I have the Humax HDR1100S also, and can't believe how slow it is to start-up :(
But once in, it's fine to record /playback, etc
Although fast forward is slow also.
Probably won't go for Freesat PVR again unless the New Arris box has rectified these annoying faults.

GoldenWonder

Novice Member
Yeah the 1100s is pretty good but seems to take longer to boot than a 90's desktop! The 4000T seems to be a good model though

The Manhattan t3-r looks quite good too for the price. I just wish LG could make an epg that works, the 10 year old panasonic the B9 replaced had a very quick epg.

My other annoyance when using the 1100s with the B9 is that I keep getting messages saying that 'hdmi2 is available' even when using an app.

albax

Novice Member
When using the LG Amazon Prime app for the football, how can i check if it’s displaying at 4k? And HDR?
The info button used to tell the resolution but not any more

mrstruders

Can anyone confirm? Is the b9 PC mode doing the full 444 chroma like it does on the cx for next gen consoles? Because I’ve been playing battlefront 2 and the banding is terrible around the soldiers torches beam ? Should I leave it in pc mode or is better in game mode, on the icons, I only play games on it nothing else.

DpM

Hopfully a quick and easy answer. I have the B9 and use the ARC back to my old Denon 3311. I get DD+ when playing back a 4k Blu-Ray through my Panasonic player but not DD True HD, is this down to the availible bandwidth for the audio return, by design or a setting I am missing?
If DD+ is the most I can expect I guess I would be better off feeding the AVR driect from the 2nd audio only HDMI output from the Panansonic player.

Tomurai

Standard Member
Hopfully a quick and easy answer. I have the B9 and use the ARC back to my old Denon 3311. I get DD+ when playing back a 4k Blu-Ray through my Panasonic player but not DD True HD, is this down to the availible bandwidth for the audio return, by design or a setting I am missing?
If DD+ is the most I can expect I guess I would be better off feeding the AVR driect from the 2nd audio only HDMI output from the Panansonic player.

Arc doesn't support lossless multichannel audio, only stereo lossless or multichannel lossy. You need to plug the bluray player straight into the avr hdmi in. It will still work with the tv remote

DpM

Arc doesn't support lossless multichannel audio, only stereo lossless or multichannel lossy. You need to plug the bluray player straight into the avr hdmi in. It will still work with the tv remote
Excellent, thanks for the answer @Tomurai

adipa

Novice Member
hey there
i had this tv for almost a year now. but never cared about the settings, just used isf dark with oled 40 and gamma 2.2. Is it only me that see no difference with these settings (super res, mpeg noise) or even that ai picture or what. (sd and hd channel too) Cant see any difference turning them on or off. Is that good to just turn everything off? What about setting brightness to 52-53? I tried that test video and no blinkling in line 17 with 50. I cant find any other preferred settings on the internet other than the rtings one. Thx for help. What oled light is safe? max 50? i have the logo luminent on high

Eegit

Standard Member
hey there
i had this tv for almost a year now. but never cared about the settings, just used isf dark with oled 40 and gamma 2.2. Is it only me that see no difference with these settings (super res, mpeg noise) or even that ai picture or what. (sd and hd channel too) Cant see any difference turning them on or off. Is that good to just turn everything off? What about setting brightness to 52-53? I tried that test video and no blinkling in line 17 with 50. I cant find any other preferred settings on the internet other than the rtings one. Thx for help. What oled light is safe? max 50? i have the logo luminent on high

This applies to B9 too

Souljacker99

I dont care about gaming. Read the first post again. Same if u link a qled settings for ps5 lmao

I think he is saying the video is showing you the way to configure the TV with the best settings, it doesn't matter what the source is. I wouldn't go asking for help and then being rude to a stranger who is trying (and succeeding in my opinion) to give you advice.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Music revenue in U.S. sees vinyl sales overtake CD
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips TV to offer Mimi Sound Personalisation