LG OLED B9 Owners and Discussion Thread

RickRock

Hows your audio. I have no audio at 120hz on games or apps.
so strange, my xbsx works well, game at 4k 120hx with dolby atmos to internal speaker.
Not already tried with apps, but i don't use it, i use the apps installed on the TV for the media like, YT, Netflix Prime Video, etc...

ilovmyselfalot

Novice Member
so strange, my xbsx works well, game at 4k 120hx with dolby atmos to internal speaker.
Not already tried with apps, but i don't use it, i use the apps installed on the TV for the media like, YT, Netflix Prime Video, etc...
Cheers yeah just double checked as havnt played around since I got console. Games are fine, its the apps netflix etc when they start dosnt work. Assume its an xbox app issue

Mr collins

Standard Member
When you get no sound you can just switch to another hdmi source on your tv and then back to the Xbox and you will get sound! There is obviously some sort of hdmi handshake issue between the tv and Xbox so if you can, report it to LG as the more people with the issue should prompt them to get it fixed whether it’s a tv or Xbox issue as they have partnered together now hopefully either way it will be fixed.

ilovmyselfalot

Novice Member
When you get no sound you can just switch to another hdmi source on your tv and then back to the Xbox and you will get sound! There is obviously some sort of hdmi handshake issue between the tv and Xbox so if you can, report it to LG as the more people with the issue should prompt them to get it fixed whether it’s a tv or Xbox issue as they have partnered together now hopefully either way it will be fixed.
Thanks for the reply I ll see if switching sources works while in netflix. As i said in game sound is fine its just app sounds.

NickSem

Novice Member
There is a menu you can access by tapping "1" four times on "Programme Tunning and settings" but I'm not sure if that has VRR info.
For me it's five times. My TV is OLED55B9PLA with 5.00.02

Anyway, it doesn't help with my present problem, which is that the hand-me-down Xbox One X won't talk HDMI to my LG TV though my old Xbox One does. I'm using the supplied HDMI cable, tried factory reset, turning the TV off at the mains, switching HDMI ports, etc. The One X auto detect doesn't auto detect, it gives up and gives me 640x480 in DVI mode.
XboxOne_1.JPGXboxOne_2.JPG

XboxOne_X_1.JPGXboxOne_X_2.JPG
Any further suggestions? I'm reduced to looking for ways to revert the firmware to an earlier version and failing.

NickSem

Novice Member
Fixed the "stuck in 640x480" non auto detect issue - I hope. After having spent most of yesterday afternoon and evening on the internet and faffing about with different combinations of HDMI port, settings, etc., and joined up and posted here I took a break for lunch. I came back, switched both Xbox One X and TV on at the same time and it all burst into life in 4K and told me my TV had advanced capabilities and would I care to turn on HDR10?

Work that one out.

NickSem

Novice Member
No, not fixed. Back at not talking to each other. I thought it might be some sort of race condition between the two devices, one scanning and giving up before the other is ready.

NickSem

Novice Member
Just to throw in here, I notice a user above (RickRock) says they have no problems but their sig shows a B6, not a B9. My son who gave me the Xbox One X had no problems with his C7 and is currently running a Series X with no issue.

RickRock

Just to throw in here, I notice a user above (RickRock) says they have no problems but their sig shows a B6, not a B9. My son who gave me the Xbox One X had no problems with his C7 and is currently running a Series X with no issue.
thank you for the advice.....! :DD
i correct the signature, i have a B9 for sure.... :DD
... i don't think your son can use the series x with the C7 at [email protected] ;)

NickSem

Novice Member
thank you for the advice.....! :DD
i correct the signature, i have a B9 for sure.... :DD
... i don't think your son can use the series x with the C7 at [email protected] ;)
I imagine he's only running at 60Hz on the home TV. He's an Xbox game dev in his work life so he's going to check what MS know about it on Monday.

He's also not sure the HDMI cable he included in the box originally came with the Xbox One X but, if the Xbox One can talk to the B9, I think the Xbox One X should be able to talk to it - even if not the full HDMI 2.1. If manually set to HDMI the TV can interrogate it and recognise it as an Xbox One.

next010

Distinguished Member
I imagine he's only running at 60Hz on the home TV. He's an Xbox game dev in his work life so he's going to check what MS know about it on Monday.

He's also not sure the HDMI cable he included in the box originally came with the Xbox One X but, if the Xbox One can talk to the B9, I think the Xbox One X should be able to talk to it - even if not the full HDMI 2.1. If manually set to HDMI the TV can interrogate it and recognise it as an Xbox One.

Given you've factory reset and changed ports the only other variable is the HDMI cable.

Try any other cable you have and see if its stable at 1080p 60hz output.

If swapping cable did nothing you could always try a 4K 60hz HDMI switch to act as a middle man so the xbox does not see the TV only the switch.

Also make sure your audio settings in Xbox are uncompressed PCM 2.0, not sure if it was a bug or the diag reporting the capabilities of the TV but in one of your pictures it stated 7 channel audio.

The xbox HDMI override is typically there for PC monitor compatibility, it shouldnt need to be used for that TV.

NickSem

Novice Member
Thanks for those suggestions. I've tried all my cables.. My son spoke to the Xbox team who say most issues are down to dodgy HDMI cables. Yet another HDMI cable is on the way...

My 4K HDMI switch box doesn't recognise the B9 though it works OK on other (sub-4k) TVs.

(I've checked and audio settings are uncompressed 2-channel on the Xbox One X.)

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks for those suggestions. I've tried all my cables.. My son spoke to the Xbox team who say most issues are down to dodgy HDMI cables. Yet another HDMI cable is on the way...

My 4K HDMI switch box doesn't recognise the B9 though it works OK on other (sub-4k) TVs.

(I've checked and audio settings are uncompressed 2-channel on the Xbox One X.)

That switch I linked to is 4K 60hz HDR capable it works with my LG OLED and I had at one point an Xbox One X connected to it, sold it off.

NickSem

Novice Member
New HDMI Ultra High Speed (8K) cable has turned up and makes no difference. Xbox One X and OLED55B9PLA still only run in DVI 640x480 when Xbox One X is set to Auto Detect. B9 does not detect that the Xbox One X is an Xbox unless the Xb1X is manually set to HDMI.

YYDeckard

Having an odd thing happen this last week so possibly connected to the new software update but about every 40 mins or so for literally like 1/2 a second there is like an orange horizontal line with black around it that flashes in the bottom 10% area of the screen - does it regardless of input and it doesnt affect anything else like the sound or the rest of the picture... very very odd...should I try a hard reset ?

I suppose with a tiny bit of effort I could leave my iPhone on record to try and catch it....

bonosbike

Novice Member
Having an odd thing happen this last week so possibly connected to the new software update but about every 40 mins or so for literally like 1/2 a second there is like an orange horizontal line with black around it that flashes in the bottom 10% area of the screen - does it regardless of input and it doesnt affect anything else like the sound or the rest of the picture... very very odd...should I try a hard reset ?

I suppose with a tiny bit of effort I could leave my iPhone on record to try and catch it....
Do you have your Amazon Alexa/account linked to the TV? I have seen this lately on mine and I have put it down to be an Amazon notification. My alexa Dot flashes yellow when the is a notification, so I think this is now showing on the TV as well.

YYDeckard

You know I think you're right - funny enough when I put the TV on yesterday there was a strange Alexa comment in a chat box on the screen about "usually at this time you do this...."

I rebooted the tv and nows it gone but is there any way to curtail it ever doing this again ?

bonosbike

Novice Member
You know I think you're right - funny enough when I put the TV on yesterday there was a strange Alexa comment in a chat box on the screen about "usually at this time you do this...."

I rebooted the tv and nows it gone but is there any way to curtail it ever doing this again ?
There may be a way to actually turn it off, but I have not delved into it that far. But if you just say Alexa "Tell me notifications", that clears it, until then next one, usually about a package out for delivery.

YYDeckard

Well its odd that it only did that after the last software update... before that zero yellow flashes or Alexa "interference" - I dont even remember giving either Alexa or LG my amazon login information either....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Music revenue in U.S. sees vinyl sales overtake CD
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips TV to offer Mimi Sound Personalisation