LG OLED B9 Owners and Discussion Thread

Eegit

Standard Member
Ah no i just meant all the models that end with LA. I think they're all identical, the first letter/number only signifies which language is default and where its sold.
Oh, nice one. Thanks for the reply mate

manuman888

its out, dont know when its ota. usb file and guide is on the support site:
Preciate the LMGT link, I’ll wait for ota to hopefully come out before I get the new consoles but good to know

McGherkin

It doesn’t have AMD Freesync, which only applies to AMD PC GPUs as far as I know.

However it does appear to have HDMI VRR as well as the obvious G-Sync as it supports VRR on the Xbox 1X.

Doctor Hades

I checked the new update last night from v4.80.xx and, sure enough told it was not available, so I downloaded it to a USB memory stick and updated the TV that way to v5.00.02. Not sure quite why I always have to do it this way but the only firmware update I have ever done direct from the TV was the one I got when I bought the TV and checked for an update for the first time. Ever since then I have always had to update manually.

Does this firmware v5.00.02 add anything for the upcoming PS5 and Xbox Series consoles for VRR and 4K/120 Hz or were they already working before?

The release notes for this do not mention anything specific but I know that the B9 doesn't support FreeSync, only G-SYNC and Forum VRR, which works with my Xbox One X. Not sure if not supporting AMD's FreeSync will be an issue with the new consoles though as both of those use AMD GPUs.

Does the B9 support 4K output at 120 Hz? I know the HDMI 2.1 ports have the bandwidth but RTINGS.com make no mention of [email protected] in their review, only [email protected] and [email protected]

Last edited:

Inferno

Distinguished Member
I thought the b9 didn’t have the right VRR all I’ve been hearing about the cx is it’s much better VRR Gsync and stuff also 200 nits brighter HDR

Where are you getting the 200 Nits higher thing, there nowhere near 200 Nits higher, from a review on here " The LG CX has HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision HDR capabilities. We measured peak brightness at 659 nits at 1, 2, 5 and 10% windows"

My B9 in calibrated Cinema is at 601 Nits, and I'd wager that you could barely tell any difference at all with those figures, if I take it out of Cinema and use say Cinema Home then the brightness goes up a lot, I haven't had it measured but I would say it's at least 20% brighter, so 700+, you shouldn't believe everything people without a way of actually measuring it with no meter says.

orre

Does this firmware v5.00.02 add anything for the upcoming PS5 and Xbox Series consoles for VRR and 4K/120 Hz or were they already working before?
Haven't seen confirmation by users. Any day now?
Gsync worked on 20-series nvidia but failed on 30-series until this update. So i've heard people use xbox vrr before and 4k120hz hdr is supported elsewhere, but can't take that as guarantee next-gen will work. LG has always been reactive to this stuff, but comes through eventually so far. Would love it if they went a bit proactive as well.

Does the B9 support 4K output at 120 Hz? I know the HDMI 2.1 ports have the bandwidth but RTINGS.com make no mention of [email protected] in their review, only [email protected] and [email protected]
Yes 4k120hz 4:4:4 hdr gsync works right now, there werent any 4k120hz sources for the rtings review so they couldnt check could they :) I feel the gamma is off in hdr, too bright, that's the only issue i have right now. But pc hdr has always been a dumpster fire so it's hard to tell where the fault lies. Some reports of gsync stutter at high frame rates also. I mostly play around 50-90fps so i wouldnt know.
Will be interesting to see how VRR 4k120hz hdr looks with consoles.

Edit: Seems i was way off thinking the gamma was a hdr issue, and actually i've been using 2.4 gamma in sdr come to think of it which is wrong but looks better near black with this gamma fault.
So its vrr/gsync causing the issue not HDR and it's a problem in the panels, might not get a fix then.. sadface

Last edited:

shagaboopon

Finally heard from the repairer this morning, TV is getting picked up (no surprise given the Covid lockdown) but not until Thursday. Will take lots of pictures prior to collection as I have little confidence of getting the TV back in as new condition on a offsite repair for a 65" TV.

bobbymax

slightly off-topic (sorry)

I have a Denon DHT-S316 soundbar, which has stopped working.
I'm using the internal speakers at the moment, but do miss the sub.
Anyway, I had this problem a few months ago, then mailed Richer sounds, Who incidentally got back straight away.:)
The guy suggested I check all connections (obviously)Then unplug everything for a few hours and reconnect ( handshake).
That worked fine, but now it's stopped again and I did exactly the same thing (handshaking etc), but no joy.
Beginning to wonder if I have a faulty Soundbar, or something not right with the LG?
Has anyone else suffered this kind of thing?

What's the difference between xLA and PLA?

Hey all,

I have the SLA model, however the update went smoothly.

The problem is that the G-Sync issue with RTX3080 hasn't dissapeared, at least not in my case. On another thread I found another person with the same issue and seemingly LG would be aware of it and preparing a NEW update soon.

If any of you has the same issues, please feel free to share.

Thanks

LE: I have changed the HDMI from 1 to 2 and now it works! [email protected] with G-sync and HDR

Last edited:

bandyka

G'day,

Just got a B9 65" and trying to calibrate it however I ran into some issues with WCG, using an HTPC and always has in the past. I noticed I am not seeing much if any difference when viewing HDR content either in games or movies. I've checked with HCFR and Chromapure and sure enough it only displays about 73% of P3 which is full Rec 709 despite the TV saying it is displaying BT2020. Also checked dxdiag in windows which also says BT2020 is being displayed however it is not the case as per measurements and my eyes.
What am I missing?

Many thanks

DCI P3.jpg

bandyka

G'day,

Just got a B9 65" and trying to calibrate it however I ran into some issues with WCG, using an HTPC and always has in the past. I noticed I am not seeing much if any difference when viewing HDR content either in games or movies. I've checked with HCFR and Chromapure and sure enough it only displays about 73% of P3 which is full Rec 709 despite the TV saying it is displaying BT2020. Also checked dxdiag in windows which also says BT2020 is being displayed however it is not the case as per measurements and my eyes.
What am I missing?

Many thanks

View attachment 1394772
Figured my issue out. Its a combination of things but in short I had to set Nvidia control to off and let Windows handle it set to Auto, it uses 8bit dithering which fixes banding and the color gamut problem. I only get about 92-93% of P3 as opposed to about 97% I should be getting but better than 72% only. It sucks but this seems to be the only way. For now, for whatever reason.

Bennyp281080

Hi all some help on a couple of picture settings. I've noticed that peak brightness is set to high on both hdr cinema and Dolby vision cinema settings. Should I keep this to high or switch off?

Also dynamic tone mapping is also on. I'm thinking these should be set to off.

Advice!

Thanks

bandyka

Hi all some help on a couple of picture settings. I've noticed that peak brightness is set to high on both hdr cinema and Dolby vision cinema settings. Should I keep this to high or switch off?

Also dynamic tone mapping is also on. I'm thinking these should be set to off.

Advice!

Thanks
Its simply by taste, trust your eyes. DTM will adjust it scene by scene but may result in inaccurate results sometimes. Peak Brightness I prefer as it will just up the output consistently making it brighter and more accurate.

10000hz

Standard Member
Hi

My oled panel has started to develop a faukt where the screen will intermittently go black . The only way to resolve this is to power it off and on again. This fixes the issues but it reoccurs about 10 minutes later. As you can appreciate this renders the TV useless.

I have performed a factory reset and disconnected other devices but the problem persists. Is this a recent firmware upgrade problem? as the issue has only occurred within the last month or so, and I noticed the new setup menus are different.

DpM

Hi

My oled panel has started to develop a faukt where the screen will intermittently go black . The only way to resolve this is to power it off and on again. This fixes the issues but it reoccurs about 10 minutes later. As you can appreciate this renders the TV useless.

I have performed a factory reset and disconnected other devices but the problem persists. Is this a recent firmware upgrade problem? as the issue has only occurred within the last month or so, and I noticed the new setup menus are different.
What firmware version are you running? I have not seen this issue but I am also not on the newest version as it is not showing up for my set yet.

10000hz

Standard Member
It was 4.80xxx or something, I recently upgraded it to newest revision and thought the issue was resolved but it reoccured. Since emailed LG for a response.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021