LG OLED B9 Owners and Discussion Thread

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
It arrived this morning and I’m blown away with picture. I followed Darko’s settings with a few tweaks for my home environment.

Looking at this video, it obv goes through SDR,HDR, DV but how do you set them, I get normal tv I’ll use the SDR, but do I have to start playing hdr on each input for example go into Netflix play a hdr change settings, then find a DV on Netflix and change settings, will it remember which is which? Same goes for the other Apps as well? Do I also have to boot up my ATV 4k and go through different films to set up HDR and DV films, so when these flag up does the TV automatically switch?
its all bloody confusing I just want to watch something how it should be.

iangreasby

Looking at this video, it obv goes through SDR,HDR, DV but how do you set them, I get normal tv I’ll use the SDR, but do I have to start playing hdr on each input for example go into Netflix play a hdr change settings, then find a DV on Netflix and change settings, will it remember which is which? Same goes for the other Apps as well? Do I also have to boot up my ATV 4k and go through different films to set up HDR and DV films, so when these flag up does the TV automatically switch?
its all bloody confusing I just want to watch something how it should be.
The TV will detect HDR and change picture mode automatically. You will then see a HDR flag pop up in the top right of the screen.

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
The TV will detect HDR and change picture mode automatically. You will then see a HDR flag pop up in the top right of the screen.
I understand that mate but if you watch the video he has different settings for each, what I’m saying is if a program on Netflix plays hdr only, I change the settings does it remember for every subsequent hdr programme, I then play a DV one it switches to that so I have to have the settings for that done. Now say I switch to the Disney + app does it remember those for that app as well?

iangreasby

I understand that mate but if you watch the video he has different settings for each, what I’m saying is if a program on Netflix plays hdr only, I change the settings does it remember for every subsequent hdr programme, I then play a DV one it switches to that so I have to have the settings for that done. Now say I switch to the Disney + app does it remember those for that app as well?
I never change the settings. If a Netflix programme is Dolby Vision I just let the TV (B8 in my case) kick into DV mode. If I then go on Amazon and the show is HDR10, the TV will then change automatically. If I then start watching something on Sky, or on Netflix/Amazon non HDR stuff, the TV will then go into the last SDR mode used (for me that's ISF dark room).

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
I never change the settings. If a Netflix programme is Dolby Vision I just let the TV (B8 in my case) kick into DV mode. If I then go on Amazon and the show is HDR10, the TV will then change automatically. If I then start watching something on Sky, or on Netflix/Amazon non HDR stuff, the TV will then go into the last SDR mode used (for me that's ISF dark room).
Ok thanks for that, it’s just in that video he tweaks each mode, I wast just wondering if it carried over to all apps and other things like ATV and PS4

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Ok thanks for that, it’s just in that video he tweaks each mode, I wast just wondering if it carried over to all apps and other things like ATV and PS4
If you alter any setting in any mode it will just revert back to that when you watch it again, if you watch Netflix with Dolby Vision and you just leave it then it will just default to Cinema next time you watch it, if you change it from Cinema to say Cinema Home it will then play in Cinema Home next time, I have not found any 4K on Netflix that is not in DV, and I have not seen anything on Amazon Prime that was not in HDR for 4K, they both (on my set anyway) just default to Cinema, you can get 4k that is not in either DV or HDR there are loads on YouTube like that, all 4K is not HDR or DV, then it just defaults to ISF Night (ISF Expert Dark Room) which is the same for all SDR content too.

iangreasby

It depends on how you have the other equipment connected. If you connect them all via an AVR then you will just be using a single HDMI input on the TV. If you connect them all to different HDMI inputs, then you may wish to have different picture settings for each one. I can't remember the default setting for brightness on the ISF night picture mode, but let's say it's 50. If you wanted to change it to 49 for your ATV, then it would stay at 49 for that particular HDMI input. If you wanted to change it to 51 for your PS4 (if it's connected to a different HDMI input), then it will stay at 51. Same applies to the TV Apps, the settings for those will be the same across all Apps and they will be saved as per how you have set them, although they are obviously not using a HDMI input.

sonysean

Not sure if this thread is the best place for this question (apologies if not).

So I said the ARC is working fine between my B9 and my Onkyo, and in most cases it is.

However I've got a bit of an odd issue where I've noticed if I first start my "Watch Apps" activity I've set up on my Harmony remote (which just sets the Onkyo to TV/CD and the TV to launch Netflix), I don't get any audio through ARC.
The TV at this point sets it self back to TV Speakers, but even changing that back to ARC makes no difference.
It seems the only way to fix it, is to start my "Watch Sky Q" activity which sets the TV to HDMI 2 and my Onkyo to Sky's input, and then switch back to the apps activity. It then all works as it should.

So to be clear it only happens when starting off from everything being powered off to starting Netflix/other apps first, not when starting from another device and then switching over.

I thought at first it may be some issue with how the Harmony remote starts things, to I played around with some of the input delays etc but it made no difference.
Also confirming it's not the remote, is even when it's working fine, if I go to the TV settings and change from ARC to something else, then back to ARC, the sound once again doesn't return.
The only way to fix once again is to do the above and switch to something else and back again.

It's a bit weird/complicated, but hopefully I've explained it okay ☺

Quick question, I was running the self help diagnostics on my tv and under the "hdmi cable" section it came with an NG error. Anyone know what this is? I seemed to have fixed it by taking it out and putting it back in.

Mav1874

I've just had to have my 55E6 written off by Currys and they have given me vouchers to the value of a 55E9, I'm looking to increase size to a 65 and wondered if you think I would be disappointed coming from the 55E6 to a 65B9? Is the picture quality significantly better on the B9 than a model 6? I'm just concerned that the brightness doesnt seem to be much different in the review levels recorded. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience of this?

sonysean

Not sure if this thread is the best place for this question (apologies if not).

So I said the ARC is working fine between my B9 and my Onkyo, and in most cases it is.

However I've got a bit of an odd issue where I've noticed if I first start my "Watch Apps" activity I've set up on my Harmony remote (which just sets the Onkyo to TV/CD and the TV to launch Netflix), I don't get any audio through ARC.
The TV at this point sets it self back to TV Speakers, but even changing that back to ARC makes no difference.
It seems the only way to fix it, is to start my "Watch Sky Q" activity which sets the TV to HDMI 2 and my Onkyo to Sky's input, and then switch back to the apps activity. It then all works as it should.

So to be clear it only happens when starting off from everything being powered off to starting Netflix/other apps first, not when starting from another device and then switching over.

I thought at first it may be some issue with how the Harmony remote starts things, to I played around with some of the input delays etc but it made no difference.
Also confirming it's not the remote, is even when it's working fine, if I go to the TV settings and change from ARC to something else, then back to ARC, the sound once again doesn't return.
The only way to fix once again is to do the above and switch to something else and back again.

It's a bit weird/complicated, but hopefully I've explained it okay ☺
I think I've fixed my problem.

Turns out ARC works better when the Onkyo's "Power Control" and "TV Control" are also enabled under HDMI settings, where as before those were off with just the Audio Return setting on.

iangreasby

I think I've fixed my problem.

Turns out ARC works better when the Onkyo's "Power Control" and "TV Control" are also enabled under HDMI settings, where as before those were off with just the Audio Return setting on.
There will be similar settings for most external sources which basically let the equipment communicate with the TV. Sky Q has the "HDMI control" and my Panasonic BluRay player has something called CEC.

sonysean

There will be similar settings for most external sources which basically let the equipment communicate with the TV. Sky Q has the "HDMI control" and my Panasonic BluRay player has something called CEC.
Found it odd though that it needs power control just for the ARC sound, as this did work without just not as smoothly as I tried to explain in my OP.

I don't usually like having devices controlling eachother as that's partly what my Harmony remote does, though in this case it doesn't seem to conflict and at least 'fixes' my previous problem :)

iangreasby

Found it odd though that it needs power control just for the ARC sound, as this did work without just not as smoothly as I tried to explain in my OP.

I don't usually like having devices controlling eachother as that's partly what my Harmony remote does, though in this case it doesn't seem to conflict and at least 'fixes' my previous problem :)
I have actually disabled the CEC HDMI control on my Panasonic. I like to play CDs on it via my AVR/speakers but I don't want the TV on due to the risk of static images causing burn in. Turning CEC HDMI off solved the problem but it took me ages to work it out!

jonorw

Standard Member
Quick question about using a logitech k400+ on a b9. It all works OK apart from @ and " are swapped. Ie. Shift 2 types @.
All the language, keyboard language and location are correct.

albax

Novice Member
That's great to hear. If you want something with a real "wow factor", try "Peru 8K" on Youtube. Make sure you have Youtube at 2160p in the video quality settings.
Hi, what are your HDR settings for this video? I have it on Cinema (User) with a few settings tweaked

julian2411

Novice Member
Hey guys,

do you change the default OLED light setting in DV and HDR mode? I’m new to OLED TVs and maybe my eyes have to get used to that brightness, but until now, I find DV content with default OLED light at 100 a bit hard to watch in a dark room.
General recommendation is to leave the default settings regarding oled light, contrast and brightness.

Thanks in advance!

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
I’ve plugged a hard drive in to record things and quickly tested out recording a program, however if I changed the channel over it stopped the recording. Is the idea to only to record stuff you are currently viewing or whilst the tv is in standby mode?

Souljacker99

I’ve plugged a hard drive in to record things and quickly tested out recording a program, however if I changed the channel over it stopped the recording. Is the idea to only to record stuff you are currently viewing or whilst the tv is in standby mode?
As far as I know there is only one tuner in the TV so it's impossible to watch one channel and record another. I think you'd need a separate box to achieve something more useful unfortunately.

MoshuXXL

Standard Member
Recording feature it is useful mostly while the tv is in standby mode. As stated before, you can't record a channel and watch another because the tv has only one tuner.

GNRJosh

Standard Member
Hey good evening. John Lewis r doing a extended warranty for £140. To cover burn in. Is it worth the C9 or stick with the B9 but get the extended warranty?. I know the C9 is a slightly better TV but that extra money covers warrenty aka piece of mind. Ha. B9 is a solid TV especially considering I'm coming from a 1080p TV. I game /YouTube mostly. So the extended warranty that covers burn in is a good idea.

Is the the TV good for gaming?. Looking at getting a Xbox Series X at some point.

Last edited: