LG OLED B9 Owners and Discussion Thread

2kool

Novice Member
I suspect there won't be much stock around Black Friday. LG will be keen to sell their newer models around that time.

sonysean

I checked back on the price history before making my purchase yesterday. I don't see them dropping too much more in price. There's been the occasional offer taking it just below £1000 but, for me, I didn't want to wait any longer as I've been holding off buying a TV for a while already. AO.com are doing 0% finance deal so when with that option but if you have the cash upfront the best deal I found currently is Costo for £969 I believe.
I suspect there won't be much stock around Black Friday. LG will be keen to sell their newer models around that time.
Well that settles it, it's getting harder to resist ordering it now :D

Thanks for pointing out the AO finance. Very.co.uk do similar for 12 months and they're the same price now so not sure which one is best to order from.

Deano1889

Standard Member
Well that settles it, it's getting harder to resist ordering it now :D

Thanks for pointing out the AO finance. Very.co.uk do similar for 12 months and they're the same price now so not sure which one is best to order from.
I went with AO with 0% for 24 months. You can pay off more earlier if you wish so you have the option so you have more flexibility over very's 12 months?

Having just logged in there's the option:
'Boosted payment
To pay your balance faster, set up a monthly Direct Debit for a higher payment to pay your contractual minimum payment, any monthly instalment plus a variable boost payment. Based on your current statement balance, this month's boost payment adds £0.00 to the contractual minimum payment.'

sonysean

I went with AO with 0% for 24 months. You can pay off more earlier if you wish so you have the option so you have more flexibility over very's 12 months?

Having just logged in there's the option:
'Boosted payment
To pay your balance faster, set up a monthly Direct Debit for a higher payment to pay your contractual minimum payment, any monthly instalment plus a variable boost payment. Based on your current statement balance, this month's boost payment adds £0.00 to the contractual minimum payment.'
Ah I see so with AO you have up to 24 months by paying the small amount per month.
Never used them so wasn't sure, Very just give you 12 months interest free so you can pay in whatever amounts you wish within that period and you pay no interest.

AO is tempting then, thanks I shall have a further think this evening :)

GNRJosh

Standard Member
Hi. I'm looking at buying either the B9 or C9. I'm just curious is it a massive jump up to the C9?. Or really not?. I can save £200 and get a extended warranty that will cover burn in for 5 years and repeated call outs for £140 (one off payment). So I would not have to worry about burn in at all. I should also point out that I'm coming from a Bush 55inch 1080p TV. So either the B9 or C9 is a massive step up. I'd just like ppls views. I can still get the B9. C9 sold out online earlier today. But I could wait if C9 is worth the extra £200.

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
I have a question in relation to sound setup, I have an ATV4k connected to the tv and then arc out to a Sonos beam, the sound on the beam is very quiet and I’ve checked the settings it says Bitstream. I changed the settings to PCM and the sound is much louder, however, by doing this I get no Dolby vision or HDR! Any reason why this would happen, and what is the best settings to have sound wise, bearing in mind the beam is only doing stereo duties

bobbymax

just noticed recently, a random crack/click when on internal speakers?
The Soundbar appears OK though.
Any thoughts please guys?
Haven't looked through all the thread, so apologies if posted b/4.

sonysean

So I've ordered the B9 and it's due for delivery Monday (I'm excited :clap:)

I've still got my rather old Onkyo receiver (TX-SR508) which I shall be using for the next few months until that gets an upgrade too.
This is also the first time I'll be making use of a TV's "smart" apps such as Netflix, Youtube, Prime etc so am a bit unsure on how to set that up and get it working with my Onkyo on arrival.

Do I just need the HDMI cable going from a port on the TV to the output on my Onkyo, like I have now?
Will that allow me to get sound from the TV apps through my speakers, but then I'm thinking that can't be right because what channel would I then set the Onkyo to?

Also, I realise I won't be able to get 4K from any of my other devices (not that they really have any, any way) as the Onkyo doesn't support it, however am I right in thinking I can still see 4K and HDR content from the TV apps?

And finally, I know the Onkyo won't support 4K but will I be able to enable the HDR setting on my PS4, or will that not work?

Deano1889

Standard Member
So I've ordered the B9 and it's due for delivery Monday (I'm excited :clap:)

I've still got my rather old Onkyo receiver (TX-SR508) which I shall be using for the next few months until that gets an upgrade too.
This is also the first time I'll be making use of a TV's "smart" apps such as Netflix, Youtube, Prime etc so am a bit unsure on how to set that up and get it working with my Onkyo on arrival.

Do I just need the HDMI cable going from a port on the TV to the output on my Onkyo, like I have now?
Will that allow me to get sound from the TV apps through my speakers, but then I'm thinking that can't be right because what channel would I then set the Onkyo to?

Also, I realise I won't be able to get 4K from any of my other devices (not that they really have any, any way) as the Onkyo doesn't support it, however am I right in thinking I can still see 4K and HDR content from the TV apps?

And finally, I know the Onkyo won't support 4K but will I be able to enable the HDR setting on my PS4, or will that not work?
Connect the TV to your WiFi on set up and then you can install all the steaming apps from the LG store from the TV menu.

If the apps support it you'll get full 4K HDR. I've just been testing Amazon prime UHD contact and it works great.

As for connecing to Onkyo, connect it to HDMI in 2 on TV that supports arc and you should be good for sound. For reference I have an my Sony 5.1 sound bar in the TV HDMI 2 port with Nvidia shield connected to soundbar and all 3 units are syncing and playing nicely together.

Hope you get it set up and working without issues

sonysean

Connect the TV to your WiFi on set up and then you can install all the steaming apps from the LG store from the TV menu.

If the apps support it you'll get full 4K HDR. I've just been testing Amazon prime UHD contact and it works great.

As for connecing to Onkyo, connect it to HDMI in 2 on TV that supports arc and you should be good for sound. For reference I have an my Sony 5.1 sound bar in the TV HDMI 2 port with Nvidia shield connected to soundbar and all 3 units are syncing and playing nicely together.

Hope you get it set up and working without issues
Thanks so just to clarify I only need a single HDMI going from the TV (port 2) to my Onkyo's output?
I think the Onkyo supports ARC, but then as said, I'm not sure then what you would select the input to on the Onkyo, if it's only connecting to the output HDMI?
Do I not need a digital optical or coaxial going to the TV as well?

iangreasby

Thanks so just to clarify I only need a single HDMI going from the TV (port 2) to my Onkyo's output?
I think the Onkyo supports ARC, but then as said, I'm not sure then what you would select the input to on the Onkyo, if it's only connecting to the output HDMI?
Do I not need a digital optical or coaxial going to the TV as well?
Connect TV to your Onkyo via HDMI using ARC. Any other equipment, e.g Sky box, Bluray player, Apple TV box etc, should be connected via HDMI to the other inputs on your Onkyo. Some devices will automatically change the input as required on the Onkyo. If they don't, just manually select the input using your Onkyo remote. When watching content via the TV Apps, e.g Netflix, Amazon etc, the sound will be passed via ARC to your Onkyo. The HDMI cables will carry both sound and video, you shouldn't need to use optical/coaxial.

Deano1889

Standard Member
What iangreasby said ^^

I'll be honest the HMDI routing can boggle the mind especially when you factor in ARC/eARC and different HDMI standards. I've spent ages trying to work out if my 'high speed' HMDI cable would suffice or if it needed to be Ulta high speed for example.

When the TV comes tomorrow you'll soon be sat back wondering how this HDMI routing wizardry works. If you're like me you'll then be second-guessing yourself thinking you're missing something as it shouldn't be that simple to get everything to work :eek:

CMcK

Start with ISF Bright Room.

Expert Controls menu:
Dynamic Contrast, Super Resolution, Color Filter: All Off
Color Gamut: Auto
Gamma: 2.2
White Balance: Warm 2

Picture Options menu:
Noise Reduction, MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Smooth gradation: Off [for low-quality sources, some users may prefer to enable]
Black Level: Low
Real Cinema: On
Motion Eye Care: Off
TruMotion: User (De-Judder: 0, De-Blur: 0, Motion Pro: Off) you could experiment with De-blur for sport.

Aspect Ratio Settings: Original (Just Scan: On)
Energy Saving: Off

Additional settings menu:
Eye Comfort Mode: Off

sonysean

Connect TV to your Onkyo via HDMI using ARC. Any other equipment, e.g Sky box, Bluray player, Apple TV box etc, should be connected via HDMI to the other inputs on your Onkyo. Some devices will automatically change the input as required on the Onkyo. If they don't, just manually select the input using your Onkyo remote. When watching content via the TV Apps, e.g Netflix, Amazon etc, the sound will be passed via ARC to your Onkyo. The HDMI cables will carry both sound and video, you shouldn't need to use optical/coaxial.
What iangreasby said ^^

I'll be honest the HMDI routing can boggle the mind especially when you factor in ARC/eARC and different HDMI standards. I've spent ages trying to work out if my 'high speed' HMDI cable would suffice or if it needed to be Ulta high speed for example.

When the TV comes tomorrow you'll soon be sat back wondering how this HDMI routing wizardry works. If you're like me you'll then be second-guessing yourself thinking you're missing something as it shouldn't be that simple to get everything to work :eek:

I looked through my Onkyo's manual and from what I believe I've learnt I connect the HDMI to the output as normal, make sure the "Audio return channel" setting is enabled in the settings, and then switch the Onkyo to the "TV/CD" input, which will give me the TV apps sounds :)

Well at least I hope that's how it'll go tomorrow once I'm setting up 😊

iangreasby

I looked through my Onkyo's manual and from what I believe I've learnt I connect the HDMI to the output as normal, make sure the "Audio return channel" setting is enabled in the settings, and then switch the Onkyo to the "TV/CD" input, which will give me the TV apps sounds :)

You shouldn't need to do any manual switching on the Onkyo, certainly not for using the TV Apps. As you say, make sure the "HDMI ARC" is enabled within the B9 settings. I've just checked on my B8 (probably similar set up options I guess) and within sound settings I have DTV Audio set to "auto" and Sound Out to "HDMI ARC".

Last edited:

pritamrp

Standard Member

I managed to get it working with Onkyo-Ht-R380. I had to connect the HDMI from TV to HDMI output of Onkyo. In the TV sound settings I had to choose ARC as output (plus the TV/CD setting on Onkyo which you mentioned) and now the TV recognizes Onkyo and no need to use Onkyo remote as it is handled by TV remote.

Last edited:

bobbymax

just noticed recently, a random crack/click when on internal speakers?
The Soundbar appears OK though.
Any thoughts please guys?
Haven't looked through all the thread, so apologies if posted b/4.
anyone?

sonysean

Well my B9 arrived yesterday morning so I spent most of the afternoon setting it up and playing around with it :D

First impressions, fantastic TV, and everything works fine with my Onkyo and HDMI ARC sound etc
I'm very happy with how Sky Q, Blu-ray's and my PS4 looks on it.

At the moment the only way I can see any HDR/4K content is through the TV's apps, and it's actually mind-blowing to me how incredible even that content looks on Youtube.
Yes, this is the first time I've seen HDR with my own eyes.

I pretty much followed the "recommended settings" I found online and tweaked them slightly to my liking.
All the usual "enhancement" stuff turned off, and I'm using the isf Expert Bright room picture mode.

At first I had the "OLED Light" turned up to 100 as I thought this was similar to my old Plasma's "Cell Light" setting though it seems I've since learnt it's not and being up that high makes it riskier in getting screen burn, so I've got it down to 65 currently.

So happy with this TV ☺
Just now hoping it proves reliable like my Panasonic Plasma has (and still is), especially given the price of it.

iangreasby

Well my B9 arrived yesterday morning so I spent most of the afternoon setting it up and playing around with it :D

First impressions, fantastic TV, and everything works fine with my Onkyo and HDMI ARC sound etc
I'm very happy with how Sky Q, Blu-ray's and my PS4 looks on it.

At the moment the only way I can see any HDR/4K content is through the TV's apps, and it's actually mind-blowing to me how incredible even that content looks on Youtube.
Yes, this is the first time I've seen HDR with my own eyes.

I pretty much followed the "recommended settings" I found online and tweaked them slightly to my liking.
All the usual "enhancement" stuff turned off, and I'm using the isf Expert Bright room picture mode.

At first I had the "OLED Light" turned up to 100 as I thought this was similar to my old Plasma's "Cell Light" setting though it seems I've since learnt it's not and being up that high makes it riskier in getting screen burn, so I've got it down to 65 currently.

So happy with this TV ☺
Just now hoping it proves reliable like my Panasonic Plasma has (and still is), especially given the price of it.
That's great to hear. If you want something with a real "wow factor", try "Peru 8K" on Youtube. Make sure you have Youtube at 2160p in the video quality settings.

Carnut

Novice Member
Hi all,

I recently bought an LG OLED55B9. Quite an upgrade from my 13 year old 32” Samsung:)

Does anybody know if there is a possibility to scale DOWN the picture? I want to watch some older 720p films. When I play such a film from a hard disk it uses the entire screen height on my TV, which obviously gives an image which is not very sharp, to say the least. I would like to reduce the image to use only part of the screen height to make it sharper.

In the menu there is an option to change the aspect ratio, but I can’t find an option to change the size of the image. Who can help?

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
That's great to hear. If you want something with a real "wow factor", try "Peru 8K" on Youtube. Make sure you have Youtube at 2160p in the video quality settings.
Didn’t even realise about the 2160p setting, bloody hell it looks miles better