LG OLED B9 TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Vertical Banding
Apologies in advance if this should be covered in another thread....

Just received a 55" B9 from John Lewis yesterday to replace an 8 year old plasma.
Within 2 minutes of set-up (using ISF Dark and all processing off) I could see a dark band down the centre of the screen.

A couple of Youtube patterns vids (which I know aren't perfect) allowed me to get the following photos at 2-20% grey. (even higher tbh)
Is this normal?

Gutted as I was so looking forward to experiencing the leaps in TV tech of the last decade.

Bad panel? Other B9s OK? Is the C9 generally better or is it an LG OLED trait? Is it an OLED trait?

IMG_5605.JPGIMG_5612.JPGIMG_5617.JPG

Thanks for any thoughts. I will return under distance selling to JL unless this is really the best OLED can get under £2K.

Vertical Banding

Just received a 55" B9 from John Lewis yesterday to replace an 8 year old plasma.
Within 2 minutes of set-up (using ISF Dark and all processing off) I could see a dark band down the centre of the screen.

A couple of Youtube patterns vids (which I know aren't perfect) allowed me to get the following photos at 2-20% grey. (even higher tbh)
Is this normal?

I believe banding can be a problem on all OLED models. My B9 doesn't appear to have any vertical banding at all but to be fair I'm not going looking for it. I had some banding on my old TV and once I noticed it, it constantly annoyed me.

@rhodos that looks pretty severe and if it were me I would send back for replacement. I have similar banding on my older UH850 and have lived with it for a couple of years, but spot it when watching football and playing fast movement games such as Forza Horizon. My new B9 has no banding so you should be able to get better panel uniformity than what you are seeing through replacement.

Hope you get it sorted.

I've just bought this after having a nightmare with the Sony AG8... Samsung Q90r and the Sony XG9505..dented screen on the first...massive dse on the second...major light bleed on the third.. Hoping this is the saviour!
Any picture settings or tips would be great as this is my fourth tv in two weeks and my stress levels can't take it anymore haha...
Cheers everyone

I believe banding can be a problem on all OLED models. My B9 doesn't appear to have any vertical banding at all but to be fair I'm not going looking for it. I had some banding on my old TV and once I noticed it, it constantly annoyed me.
I had a sony xg9505 for two days and the light bleed was awful. John Lewis were really arsey about swapping tvs and didn't acknowledge this as a fault. Was all along the edge... Had a bit of a nightmare as the Sony ag8 oled had a huge dink in it...nightmare

Attachments

• 2DD90F13-1B45-4407-B64E-99FAD5651DE8.jpeg
    2DD90F13-1B45-4407-B64E-99FAD5651DE8.jpeg
    708.7 KB · Views: 319
  • 4C406475-BF95-475B-8889-AFD7CCACC238.jpeg
    4C406475-BF95-475B-8889-AFD7CCACC238.jpeg
    633.1 KB · Views: 292
HI all, new owner of B9 55 here. The TV is great overall and much superior to my previous Samsung LED.

One thing i noticed though (need to test this bit more) - when I start some HDR 4k content from youtube, for like 2 second there is a slight buzz/hiss coming from the back of TV (around the area of PSU). It disappears right after the content loads and does not reappear again during playback. Comes back again when I start some other content. Its very low volume - might not be that audible unless you come very close to the screen, but its definitely there.

Second thing - when the TV turns on or off, the power supply emits a one-off loud tick sound (bit reminds me on the sound when turning on a CRT monitor).

EDIT: Confirmed this happens only when displaying Black on the screen, the more black out there the more audible the buzz - but still not to a degree where it would disturb me while watching a movie. It does not happen right after I turn on the tv (cold), but after it runs for some time/warms up.

Do you experience similar? Might this prove to be a problem in the future? Or should I just ignore it for now unless it gets more annoying? (Got 5 years warranty).

Many thanks for your insights.
Mine did this too..bought it today..lol

Hello I’ve just checked my tv and it says software version is 03.60.19.. I can see above that it’s currently 04.70.04 how out of date is my software and why isn’t it coming up on my “check for updates” option.. I’ve only had the tv a couple weeks and I’m really struggling with it for the PlayStation pro with lag :( it happens on offline games aswell as online. I bought a new PS4 last week because I thought that was on it way out.. this is the 4th tv I’ve had since September going from a 3 year old Samsung to a Sony to a hisense to this LG and all seem to have the same issue.. like I said I got a new PS4 pro and still having the same issue but with my Xbox one x there seems to be no problem at all.. am I expecting too much or is my settings wrong or am I just having bad luck with TVs
What's your network connection? Also how fast is your broadband etc and setup?

Vertical Banding

Is this normal?

Gutted as I was so looking forward to experiencing the leaps in TV tech of the last decade.

Bad panel? Other B9s OK? Is the C9 generally better or is it an LG OLED trait? Is it an OLED trait?

View attachment 1221591View attachment 1221592View attachment 1221593

Thanks for any thoughts. I will return under distance selling to JL unless this is really the best OLED can get under £2K.
JL charged me £100 for returning a TV with horrendous light bleed... It's going to be the way forward for me from now on. They were idiots with me today considering that I'd travelled to the store to pick it up...

Are you comfortable with it? What’s your panel uniformity like?
I'm really picky with panels... Zero banding... No dodgy tints... Screen is flat this time..
Can't find a fault tbh..

Very happy with my 55" B9.

Had it for a few weeks now and bought at a time when JL were offering £125 in vouchers, they also price matched RS so got £125 and now that they have dropped to £1099 they have just refunded a further £75. So seeing as use JL and Waitrose all the time the true cost to me was £974 so think I got a good deal.

Currently it is only connected up to an Apple TV and the aerial but with all the online content available i'm looking forward to ditching Sky at the end of Dec and saving a few £ each month.

In case anyone weren't aware LG has confirmed the the maximum resolution supported for HDR is 4K 60Hz on the B9. The Alpha 7 gen 2 chipset does not support HDR at 4K 120Hz only in SDR 4K 120Hz.

This applies to only high end gaming like on a PC or possible next gen console if they do 4K 120hz HDR over HDMI 2.1, you still get 4K 60Hz HDR out.

Limitation does not apply to the C9/E9/Z9.

In case anyone weren't aware LG has confirmed the the maximum resolution supported for HDR is 4K 60Hz on the B9. The Alpha 7 gen 2 chipset does not support HDR at 4K 120Hz only in SDR 4K 120Hz.

Thanks for sharing, it's disappointing but not the end of the world. I'm a console gamer and rarely see any games going over 60fps. I doubt it'll change much next gen.

Hi All,
I am getting one of these tomorrow, does anyone on here use it for Freesat? if so how the recording compare to a STB...ie Humax box?....cheers

Bigpest do you get a bit of noise from the PSU on HDR black screens once the set is warmed up? I can’t decide whether to log a fault with LG or not.

Bigpest do you get a bit of noise from the PSU on HDR black screens once the set is warmed up? I can’t decide whether to log a fault with LG or not.
I just get a couple of clicks... I've had that issue on my b7 and it was really annoying...
I'm struggling to get a decent picture on mine..can't settle on any settings. I've tried isf dark and bright room and and also the other isf preset... Really struggling

I've just tweaked standard (user) mode and am very happy. Only annoyance I have is the ongoing HDMI handshake issue with my receiver. It's doing my head in...

I've just tweaked standard (user) mode and am very happy. Only annoyance I have is the ongoing HDMI handshake issue with my receiver. It's doing my head in...
What's your settings please mate... I'm thinking that standard is the way forward but every reviewer seems to think that the isf settings are the winner.

I've just bought the sk10 soundbar for 599 to pair up with the TV..totally class

I am in love with mine, it has no problems and have had it calibrated now after approx 400hours, it is blowing me away to be fair :D

20191123_003204.jpg

I am in love with mine, it has no problems and have had it calibrated now after approx 400hours, it is blowing me away to be fair :D

View attachment 1223338
Haha class..if you ever fancy sharing the magic numbers let me know as I'm really struggling with it.

BTW what did the calibrator say about presets?

My settings would be not correct for your panel as they all differ, you would need it calibrating in situ on your set for it to be correct for your panel.

What do you mean what did he say?

Only to only use the ISF Day/Night or Cinema as they are the most accurate before calibration if that is what you mean, the most correct mode is ISF Dark room out of the box for TV SDR and Cinema for HDR and Dolby Vision.

My TV now defaults to ISF Night for SDR and Cinema for HDR off Amazon Prime and Dolby Vision off Netflix, I won't use ISF DAY as my room isn't that bright.

My settings would be not correct for your panel as they all differ, you would need it calibrating in situ on your set for it to be correct for your panel.

What do you mean what did he say?

Only to only use the ISF Day/Night or Cinema as they are the most accurate before calibration if that is what you mean, the most correct mode is ISF Dark room out of the box for TV SDR and Cinema for HDR and Dolby Vision.

My TV now defaults to ISF Night for SDR and Cinema for HDR off Amazon Prime and Dolby Vision off Netflix, I won't use ISF DAY as my room isn't that bright.
Yeah what did he say about the presets? Ie preferred ones.

I'm not lovinh the isf presets on this set mind you...was great on the b7v

I think I may have it on the right of the screen is it a reason to ask for a replacement??

Ok B9 owners when I switch from tv , Sky tv to game the picture settings dont change to correspond same when I change back to Sky Q, all via my Marantz avr , it was not a issue a couple of day ago just noticed is in the last day or two ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom