LG OLED B9 Owners and Discussion Thread

Switch025

Same issues here but much more with SD and HD content with dark images.
It's an issue with the source unfortunately and is due to compression. I get it quite often when watching Sky and if I'm watching a recorded program it's noticeably worse due to the image being compressed even further. You can mitigate it a little by tweaking your picture settings but as it isn't the TVs fault there's only so much you can do.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
It's an issue with the source unfortunately and is due to compression. I get it quite often when watching Sky and if I'm watching a recorded program it's noticeably worse due to the image being compressed even further. You can mitigate it a little by tweaking your picture settings but as it isn't the TVs fault there's only so much you can do.
I have just watched War Of The Worlds on iplayer and although it's watchable the quality of the feed is Dire, it's not too dark or anything but the PQ due to the compression and rubbish bandwidth it is being transmitted in and then the TV upscaling it to 4K is making a right dogs dinner of it, The 4K HLG off the iplayer is just amazing though, they need to sort it out :(.

20191126_100341.jpg

I mean just look at this abomination :eek:
20191126_100507.jpg

Attachments

Switch025

It's really poor. I can't understand why they don't offer these programs at a higher bit rate. BBC's broadcasts are usually decent too so I find it bizarre that their iPlayer quality is so bad.

Bry5o

Novice Member
Disagree there as it is present on all sources and certainly not something I noticed on last years Sk9500.

Speaking to richer sounds today they are starting to notice more questions being asked and it is not too dissimilar to the wide and acknowledged problems with the b8 and c8.

But I'm open to be persuaded otherwise and and I'm to arrange an LG engineer visit this afternoon via Richer Sounds and will post what they say for info.

Switch025

I can only go off my experience, when watching anything that's decent quality I don't see any macroblocking. It's only in poor quality source material that it's visible.

JoeBoi

Hey all, picked up a B9 over the weekend. Overal happy with my purchase and I am completely blown away by the quality of OLED. I am having an issue with the Xbox One X and dolby vision though. Each time I try an application which supports Dolby Vision I get the notification in the right hand corner along with atmos but the picture is completely black. You can hear the xbox one when the guide button is pressed, return to home and the dash displays fine.

Anyone else having a similar issue or got any ideas on how to resolve?

I have tried to reset the TV and Xbox to default settings

SeeMoreDigital

Each time I try an application which supports Dolby Vision I get the notification in the right hand corner along with atmos but the picture is completely black....
Are you using a Premium Certified HDMI lead between your Xbox and your TV. And have you enabled the TV's 'HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour' option?

JoeBoi

Are you using a Premium Certified HDMI lead between your Xbox and your TV. And have you enabled the TV's 'HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour' option?
I am using the cable it came with and HDMI HD Deep Colour is turned on by default.

Edit: The Dolby app on the LG store seems to work fine. So the issue is most likely with the xbox or cable.

Last edited:

SeeMoreDigital

As far as I'm aware an LG televisions 'HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour' option has to be enabled manually. Regardless of the model. That being said... I suggest you try a different/new 'Premium Certified HDMI lead.

Cheers

JoeBoi

As far as I'm aware an LG televisions 'HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour' option has to be enabled manually. Regardless of the model. That being said... I suggest you try a different/new 'Premium Certified HDMI lead.

Cheers
Any recommendations for the cable bud?

Mine set the deep colour to automatic.

danped

Standard Member
Hi all - Having read and watched all the reviews over the last few weeks I settled on an LGB9 65" and have just opened it up and started playing around with it. I have a couple of questions about the calibration/settings if anyone can help. I tried to apply the rtings suggested but I can't find "expert controls" tab - can someone point out to me where this is please? Also I know there are calibrators out there but it is not in my nature to use this kind of service as I like to learn and understand things myself. However when these guys calibrate a tv, what are they calibrating it against?
Cheers,
Dan

SeeMoreDigital

Last edited:

Bry5o

Novice Member
Hey all, picked up a B9 over the weekend. Overal happy with my purchase and I am completely blown away by the quality of OLED. I am having an issue with the Xbox One X and dolby vision though. Each time I try an application which supports Dolby Vision I get the notification in the right hand corner along with atmos but the picture is completely black. You can hear the xbox one when the guide button is pressed, return to home and the dash displays fine.

Clearly the TV works with the Xbox if you can view the dashboard, and presumably other content is transmitting across at 4k...just not Dolby content?

I'd be inclined to delete the Dolby app and reinstall if you haven't already.

JoeBoi

Clearly the TV works with the Xbox if you can view the dashboard, and presumably other content is transmitting across at 4k...just not Dolby content?

I'd be inclined to delete the Dolby app and reinstall if you haven't already.
Tried that one and it does the same thing.

I am going to try the new cables suggested to see if it makes a difference. Assuming it is a bandwidth issue.

Dolby Vision app from the LG store works on the TV but not on the xbox.

Bry5o

Novice Member
It does it for all dolby vision content on xbox for me though. I cannot watch netflix on the xbox.
Haha just noticed it does the same on mine but always used netflix via TV app so hadn't spotted it previously.

Though I'm sure Gears 5 outputs in Dolby Vision and that worked fine.

Bry5o

Novice Member
Tried again and it worked but none of the demos within actually outputted a Dolby Vision signal...well at least the TV didn't show the Dolby Vision logo in the top right like it does with Netflix.

But then the more time I spend with this TV the more it baffles me.

Tried watching generic content on cinema mode with no adjustments to stock and every Channel has judder with motion, removing the clear motion setting solved it but surely that can't be a desired outcome.

Another one I didn't notice before and wonder of the last software revision is just outright broke.

Wish there was an easy way to roll back one.

BigPest

Previously Bigpest2724
Tried that one and it does the same thing.

I am going to try the new cables suggested to see if it makes a difference. Assuming it is a bandwidth issue.

Dolby Vision app from the LG store works on the TV but not on the xbox.
I bought some monoprice ones and have two slim ones which are brand new spare if you want them for cost price... Certified Premium... No issues with that brand whatsover.

BigPest

Previously Bigpest2724
I can notice the logo dimmer thing doing its job preventing image retention on sky news and motd logos etc etc... Whites change during content to a duller grey..Anyone else noticed this...? Happens on the white bar on sky sports news too..goes the same colour...

JoeBoi

I bought some monoprice ones and have two slim ones which are brand new spare if you want them for cost price... Certified Premium... No issues with that brand whatsover.
Hey, I have bought one of the other cables suggested. I will give that a go first. Thanks for the offer though.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Back to the BBC IPlayer on the app, I decided to download WOTW Ep2 off Sky+ IPlayer and it was way better than what comes in off the actual IPlayer app on the TV, still not that great but far more watchable, trouble is as I only have Sky+ I can't get any 4K off it but it doesn't matter anyway as SkyQ doesn't do HDR HLG or HDR anything but the app on the TV does HDR HLG
excellent anyway, so what gives with the SDR on the IPlayer app :facepalm:

Inferno

Distinguished Member

I can help you as I had the same issue

20191127_112510.jpg
20191127_112449.jpg
20191127_112510.jpg
20191127_112941.jpg

With Auto Low Latency Mode and Variable Refresh Rate on it will not play Netflix, so turn them off, turn them back on to game if required.