• We are currently running a full reindex on the database following a problem yesterday morning (Thursday 5th December).
    This will take a few hours to complete and during this time, search results will be incomplete or non-existant. Apologies for the inconvenience.

LG OLED B9 Owners and Discussion Thread

Aryn86

Is there a release date on this? can't find a pre-order for it yet either

EDIT: Ok found it but it seems like it's not very good value for money only £200 less currently than the C9.

Last edited:

Killzone

Littlewoods have it now although the price is C9 category, I did complain , if your a new customer you get 40% off now that's a great deal. I was just on the uk site for littlewoods and the B9 is more expensive than the Irish one , as is the AF8 Sony .

Last edited:

watts9967

Hi guys
I’m thinking of buying one of these over the c9 because it’s £400 cheaper
Are they any good ?

Cheers

JonJon1239

Novice Member
I received my LG55B9PLA yesterday after previously owning a B7 and a B8.

So far so good, I'm only a few hours in but I'm really liking the updated WebOS and the fact that it automatically changes to Game Mode when a console is detected. I much prefer the stand to the B9SLC as it seems more stable even though it's made out of plastic rather than metal.

In the past I've set my Xbox UI to high contrast mode to avoid any grey screens, however I've changed back and so far the screen uniformity looks great. I know it's too early to tell but it's a good sign nonetheless.

Alexa is integrated well compared to the B8, holding the Amazon Prime hotkey down activates Alexa and it's a seemless transition, finding music instantly. It's also much easier to link your account, very similar to linking YouTube to the TV.

Doctor Hades

I have had this TV since last Saturday, a 55" LG B9 that was an upgrade to a 40" 1080p Sony KDL-40705C LED TV. I've been playing around with it for a week, handily while off work for a week so I've had lots of time to watch various content to really appreciate what an upgrade this TV is over my previous ones (it's massive to say the least!).

Delighted with it so far - more impressions to follow later - but one thing I'm confused about is the Sharpness setting which defaults to 10 on all the presets. Is 10 the default no added sharpness setting and 0-9 a softer image and 11+ a sharper one or is Sharpness at 0 the true non-tampered setting?

Another thing I'm puzzled about is how the TV will sometimes switch to the last input such as my PS4 Pro and then turn it on, usually after I've turned the console off and turned the TV on sometime later! Is there any way to disable that? I've got around it for now by making sure I switch to digital TV (handily, you can assign shortcuts such as BBC One HD to 1 on the remote's numeric keypad) before switching off the TV. That way, when I turn it on then it defaults to TV, which was the last input selected.

Finally, I'm a little confused over the settings for TruMotion. I have noticed on some 4K UHD and BD content that fast motion panning can look a little fuzzy and my understanding is that TruMotion can reduce this issue. What settings work best? At the moment, I have TruMotion set to User with De-Judder on 0 and De-Blur on 10. I might be imagining it but it does seem to clean up fast pans. What is the best setting for this? I haven't noticed any judder so far, only this minor issue with fast panning shots such as on the Planet Earth II 4K UHD BDs where the camera is tracking animals running or birds flying fast across the screen.

Last edited:

Doctor Hades

Has this TV only just come out because I would have expected there to be more interest in it given it's an entry (I hate to use the word 'budget' when it costs £1,500+) level OLED TV?

Anyway, I am absolutely loving mine for 4K YouTube (including HDR), NetFlix and 4K UHD BDs (Planet Earth II and 2001: A Space Odyssey look stunning) especially but even BDs look good. DVDs fare the worst - I've been watching a 70s series Thriller for example - but it's not as hideous as I expected.

PS4 Pro and, particularly, Xbox One X games such as Gears 5 also look and play fantastic, thanks to the HDR, higher pixel count and low input lag. I'm a little nervous of on-screen HUDs causing burn-in but I don't tend to play games for longer than an hour or two at most before switching over to a movie or YouTube anyway.

One thing that puzzled me yesterday was why my TV was still on firmware v3.60.19. I checked on the LG website for a downloadable manual actually and noticed that firmware v3.60.35 had been released. I installed this using a USB memory stick as my TV kept saying it was up to date. I'm not 100% sure but I think OLED Motion now works (black frame insertion) as I tried it post-update. This has noticeable flicker at first and the screen darkens but after a few seconds my eyes adjusted and I found it okay. Not sure where this setting would come in useful, perhaps watching fast moving sport on Sky or something?

Last edited:

Stingfello

Novice Member
Yeah, this thread seems to have pretty low volume compared to the other X9 models. Betting it's due to the similarity in price between the B9 and C9.

Anyway, I'm dismayed to report that I've found a blue stuck pixel on the screen. JScreenFix had no effect. Going to try the manual pixel refresh, although concerned it may introduce banding or some other horror. I'll report how it goes, but if not fixed, I'm calling LG.

Cheers!

Doctor Hades

I use a Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray player with this TV (55" B9) using a certified 4K HDMI cable and when I turn the player on, the TV will also turn itself on but about 50% of the time it will display a No Signal message. Usually turning the player off then on again eventually brings up the Home screen but it is annoying to have to do this.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is there some setting I change to ensure the "handshaking" is more reliable?

Seems very random and more likely to display a No Signal message if I eject the disc tray first and insert a movie to play by pressing Play on the player remote than if I turn on the player first (although that doesn't always work either so maybe it's just a coincidence?).

Doctor Hades

Depressing to buy a TV and find a thread dedicated to it but no interest in it whatsoever! Surely more people must have purchased this superb TV?

Anyway, a couple of questions which I hope someone will answer:

1. The LG B9 can record FreeView content to a USB device such as a memory stick or hard drive as I found when I plugged in both over the weekend.

However, the 16 GB SanDisk memory stick I used was tested by the TV and I was told it wasn't usable (not sure why...) so I plugged in a 1.5 TB 2.5" hard drive into the USB port on the back of the TV (not one of the two on the sides). I was then able to set the programmes - two Rugby 2019 World Cup games - to record but found out later than they had not recorded.

The USB ports are only 2.0 and not 3.0 (which is unbelievable really for a TV in this price range) so did the recordings fail because there was insufficient power (I know USB 3.0 provides more power than USB 2.0)? Also, does the device have to plugged into a specific port - I saw mentioned in the FAQ on LG about the device needing to plugged in port 1 to record?

2. My TV is connected to four devices - an Xbox One X which is connected to a Sky+HD box, a PS4 Pro, a Nintendo Switch and a Sony UBP-X800 BD player. All the devces are detected by the TV - I see a notification pop up in the top-right hand corner to this affect - but occasionally the TV fails to receive an image from them meaning I have to turn the device off then on again. The Sony X800 player does this about 50% of the time, more often when I eject the tray to put a disc in rather than turn on the player first, but over the weekend my PS4 Pro failed to display a picture too (previously it had worked flawlessly). Turning the PS4 Pro off then on resolved it.

I am using the same Antiference 3m certified 4K HDMI cables for all the devices except for the Nintendo Switch (which is a 1080p device anyway), including a 1m version of the Antiference cable from my Sky+HD box to my Xbox One X.

Is this a handshaking issue? Why does this happen? Surely, being digital the signal should either work all the time or fail all the time, not sometimes work and sometimes not?

Are there any settings you can change to make the handshaking between devices more reliable?

Killzone

That's a lot of hand shake issues, maybe try a different HDMI cable to to rule out HDMI issues, I think the lack of activity on the form is that you can get the C9 for not a lot more, unless you live in over priced Ireland.

Doctor Hades

That's a lot of hand shake issues, maybe try a different HDMI cable to to rule out HDMI issues, I think the lack of activity on the form is that you can get the C9 for not a lot more, unless you live in over priced Ireland.
I've only had the handshaking issue happen once with my PS4 Pro otherwise it has been working fine so I'll put that down to a one-off glitch for now.

Most of the handshaking issues happen with my Sony X800 player and I've tried several different cables already with that with the same result. The player seems to work correctly, i.e. display an image to the TV, if I turn it on via the remote first before ejecting the tray to put in the disc. If I eject the tray first while the player is off then the TV often has problems displaying an image from the X800 when I press Play on the remote to close the tray and start playing the disc, though oddly the player does make the TV turn on.

shug4476

I was sorely tempted to order this today but the staggering quantity of LG OLEDs on eBay that are being sold as user-returned for having stuck pixels, banding, or burn-in put me off.

I don't recall ever seeing a product appearing this frequently on eBay with such a similar fault profile? Maybe some of the very early full-HD projectors of 10 years ago.

It also seemed to me that both manufacturers and retailers alike are trying to evade responsibility for what is clearly an inherent limitation to the technology. I have read quite a few threads on here of people having to go to court to get refunds, and LG make plain on their website they will take no responsibility for screen burn under the warranty.

I have (very reluctantly) bought an LED instead, as I figure I can move it on with minimal depreciation if I am not happy and come back to OLED next year.

shug4476

I am in the same boat , what lcd did you get ,?
I have bought a GX800 from Panasonic but also trying to pick up a plasma for comparison. Will post thoughts once they are all in a room together.

Killzone

I will be going from a pioneer kuro 60 inch , had my mind set on a 900R Samsung but getting it delivered is not easy ,so returning it if the screen is bad could be costly to me and alot of hassle. Really dont know witch way to go , it will have to be something special to replace the kuro.

Smiffy 2

Toying with the idea of moving up from my current 55" C7 to a 65" model. I don't game, general family use, pairing up with a Sony X-700B UHD player. Undecided between the C9 or this new B9. Been more than happy with my C7, only reason for change is I want a bigger screen. The £500.00 saving over the C9 is tempting. Help!!!!!! Pro's/Con's?????

mattyduk

price at RS has now hit my tipping point for the 65" as of today it's down to £1799. Looking at the price tracker the 65" B8 didn't get to this price last year - I could be mistaken.
Wife has some concerns about the size of the set :)

Switch025

Just ordered a 55" B9 after the price reduction to £1299. Was trying to hold out until Black Friday for maximum cheapness but I've wanted an OLED for a while and couldn't help myself.