Question LG OLED B7 issue - Possibly Pixel Degradation?

AcidicUK

Novice Member
Hi,

I have had the LG OLED B7 for about a year and a half.

Yesterday I noticed that on certain colours (lighter yellows, reds, etc) there was a line down the centre of the screen.

Upon closer inspection, it seems that the entire left hand side of the screen is a slightly different colour to the right. I've attached an image, if you look at the red character in the centre, slightly to the left of them, theres the issue - a line with 2 slightly different colours either side. I am not sure if this is screen burn, image retention or pixel degradation - but looking up screen burn and IR issues its looking, possibly, like pixel degradation?

What seems to have happened is when I open the settings menu on this tv, it covers the left half of the screen in a static grey colour, and leaves content like tv and games playing on the right side. Is it possible that having the settings menu open over time has caused this defect, and if so, what options do I have to get this fixed/repaired? I am no longer covered by LG's year warranty or AO.com's - who i bought the TV from.

I have heard screen burn isn't covered by warranty, but as this seems like something else, is there anything I can do to get a fix? I have not had the settings opened on the TV for that long, maybe a couple of hours at most back when I first got the TV and calibrated it and even then it wont have been left on the grey static image for more than 5-10 minutes at a time.

I've had no issues with this TV up until now. It's been really excellent, but this is bugging me!

Thanks in advance for any advice.
View attachment 1206991

Qburyman

Standard Member
My B7 picture was superb, no banding or other screen issues, until it completed its second full pixel refresh (at 2000 hours). This seems to be, reading all the posts, when owners first become aware of banding and screen issues. For me it was an awful mess with noticeable light and dark bands.

I thought I would try and get it sorted by getting either the retailer or LG to sort it but, again reading the problems people had doing this, I held back. Then I read some people had taken time to ensure that the 4 hour automatic pixel refresh was run regularly. This overtime did improve things with the vertical banding being reduced but not fully removed.

The line down the middle of the screen with different shade of the same colour on each side describes my experience exactly.. The solid red opening Rakuten App screen, for example, really showed it up. I was reluctant to try and go down the repair or exchange path because people on this site have found that retailers and LG have not been helpful, or have sent out so called engineers who don't see what we have all been seeing. When owners have been able to get repairs done often they end up worse off, or their TV's returned damaged etc.

But I have some good news! I continued ensuring I turned off the TV after four hours to trigger the short pixel refresh. It takes 7 minutes 25 seconds and if you plug in a USB stick its flashing light will stop flashing when done, then the TV can turned on or unplugged. I stuck to this routine until the next full pixel refresh at 3000 hours and low and behold I was left with a perfect picture, it was as good as the day I first turned the TV on.

I am not sure if this has been the experience of others but for me I now have a perfect picture. The problem is, I believe, caused by the LG pixel refresh at 2000 hours and fixed by the one at 3000 hours. What will happen when gets to the 4000 hours is yet to be seen.

I hope this will be of some help to you, although I can not promise if you wait for the next 1000 hour refresh you will get the same result. I hope what ever you decide to do it works out for you. When this TV is working as it should it is excellent.

AcidicUK

Novice Member
My B7 picture was superb, no banding or other screen issues, until it completed its second full pixel refresh (at 2000 hours). This seems to be, reading all the posts, when owners first become aware of banding and screen issues. For me it was an awful mess with noticeable light and dark bands.

I thought I would try and get it sorted by getting either the retailer or LG to sort it but, again reading the problems people had doing this, I held back. Then I read some people had taken time to ensure that the 4 hour automatic pixel refresh was run regularly. This overtime did improve things with the vertical banding being reduced but not fully removed.

The line down the middle of the screen with different shade of the same colour on each side describes my experience exactly.. The solid red opening Rakuten App screen, for example, really showed it up. I was reluctant to try and go down the repair or exchange path because people on this site have found that retailers and LG have not been helpful, or have sent out so called engineers who don't see what we have all been seeing. When owners have been able to get repairs done often they end up worse off, or their TV's returned damaged etc.

But I have some good news! I continued ensuring I turned off the TV after four hours to trigger the short pixel refresh. It takes 7 minutes 25 seconds and if you plug in a USB stick its flashing light will stop flashing when done, then the TV can turned on or unplugged. I stuck to this routine until the next full pixel refresh at 3000 hours and low and behold I was left with a perfect picture, it was as good as the day I first turned the TV on.

I am not sure if this has been the experience of others but for me I now have a perfect picture. The problem is, I believe, caused by the LG pixel refresh at 2000 hours and fixed by the one at 3000 hours. What will happen when gets to the 4000 hours is yet to be seen.

I hope this will be of some help to you, although I can not promise if you wait for the next 1000 hour refresh you will get the same result. I hope what ever you decide to do it works out for you. When this TV is working as it should it is excellent.
Hello, thanks for the reply!
This gives me hope, I am just wondering with the 4 hour refresh, is this something I have to turn on or just turn the tv off after 4 hours and it will automatically do it? Thanks

Qburyman

Standard Member
This gives me hope, I am just wondering with the 4 hour refresh, is this something I have to turn on or just turn the tv off after 4 hours and it will automatically do it? Thanks
You don't need to do anything it will start if there is four hours on the clock.

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
Its automatic. All you need to do is put it in standby.
As @Qburyman said there is also a very good chance that what you’re seeing is a more obvious vertical band that just happens to more or less line up with the menu window. There is an even better chance that it is temporary and the 4 hour refreshes will sort it out. It’s happened several times on my C7. Let it run 2 or 3 of those and see where you are then.

AcidicUK

Novice Member
Its automatic. All you need to do is put it in standby.
As @Qburyman said there is also a very good chance that what you’re seeing is a more obvious vertical band that just happens to more or less line up with the menu window. There is an even better chance that it is temporary and the 4 hour refreshes will sort it out. It’s happened several times on my C7. Let it run 2 or 3 of those and see where you are then.
Thanks for your response, gonna start doing it today, will update with changes if any happen. Fingers crossed!