LG OLED B7 Help

Elward27

Novice Member
Hi all, a couple years ago I purchased a B7 OLED and a LG SJ5 sound bar to go with it. As they were both LG, I was able to connect the sound bar to the TV using the wireless Bluetooth sync option. Worked great and thought was better then the TV's natural speakers and as it was wireless it saved the hassle of a cable on show so never looked into it any further.

Now, recently had a Sky engineer out to install equipment and he asked me why I was using my sound bar wirelessly instead of using the HDMI option and connecting it to my TV's HDMI ARC port. I replied saying as I could connect it wirelessly I didn't see why I would need the HDMI Arc option and he said I wasn't getting the sound bars "True Power" as by doing it wireless it wasn't processing the Dolby sound quality when watching movies that had that option.

Is this true or is he a bit misinformed? I always just thought why use a wire if I don't need to but didn't realise it did effect the sound quality it outputs?

Any help would be really appreciated thanks!

next010

Distinguished Member
The wireless mode on LG SJ5 may or may not be limited to stereo audio, but given its a 2.1 sound system its optimal output is probably just plain stereo.

If your happy with the way it sounds I'd leave it as is, feeding dolby audio into a stereo sound system doesn't always sound better.

Link:

Elward27

Novice Member
I'm happy with how it sounds but don't know if I'm missing out etc. Granted it isn't an amazing sound set up by any stretch as like you said its just 2.1. Just wasn't sure if I'd been using it these past few years without realising I could of made the sound better quality that's all.

audiolab007

Standard Member
The wireless mode on LG SJ5 may or may not be limited to stereo audio, but given its a 2.1 sound system its optimal output is probably just plain stereo.

If your happy with the way it sounds I'd leave it as is, feeding dolby audio into a stereo sound system doesn't always sound better.
Agreed dolby (and others multi channel formats) into a stereo doesn't always sound better

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Blutooth resamples and lossily compresses audio in order to transmit it to speakers or headphones.
There are different modes , like SBC ,APTX , AAC and so on , but all of them are lossy to some extent.

That loss of quality is considered acceptable for a pair of headphones , as listening and moving about wire free is an advantage and makes sense , but for a soundbar , you should connect up using a cable.
It makes no sense to compromise the quality of what you have by going blutooth wireless on something that does not move about.
With a 2.1 soundbar you can at least have lossless stereo fed into it, why would you make that lossy as well by using blutooth ?

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom