Question LG Oled B6 and 4:4:4 output from pc

MrNuka

Standard Member
Hey guys, I'm kinda confused right now and hope someone can shed some light on my issue.
I got my PC (GTX 1070, i5 6600k, Windows 10) conntected to my AVR (Denon x520bt), which connects to my B6. I'm using MPC-HC, together with madvr and lavfilters, to playback all my ripped Blu-rays.
I know that I can't do [email protected] 4:4:4 12bpc, due to hdmi 2.0 limitations, but since madvr changes my refresh rate to 23hz anyway, 30hz or less is fine.
I had a hard time seeing any difference between 4:2:2 and 4:4:4, using NNEDI3 chroma upscaling in madvr. After some digging I found out that the B6, and most current TVs apparently, only display true 4:4:4 when the input is set to PC, which disables important features, such as real cinema (24p playback without judder).
I've read that I'd lose a good amount of image quality and chroma upscaling being almost obsolete, if my display can only show 4:2:2.
What do other people handle this problem? Is the quality gain from chroma upscaling to 4:4:4 even noticable?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom