LG OLED Auto-Dimming

Converge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was putting this as more of a general thing rather than a specific model.

Is there a way to turn off the auto-dimming function of LG OLED's? Does it feature on models other than the B6 such as the C8? Is it specific to LG TVs? or does Sony have the same?

Reason for asking is it's getting increasingly on my nerves that my B6 auto dims during a long stretch of dark scenes in films or tv series, and as a result makes a dark scene just plain ridiculous. It only increases in brightness when a light source is bright enough to increase it again.
The film Unforgiven is a prime example of this, it's in the dark for about 20 minutes!

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks.

Hi all,

Is there a way to turn off the auto-dimming function of LG OLED's? Does it feature on models other than the B6 such as the C8? Is it specific to LG TVs? or does Sony have the same?

Reason for asking is it's getting increasingly on my nerves that my B6 auto dims during a long stretch of dark scenes in films or tv series, and as a result makes a dark scene just plain ridiculous. It only increases in brightness when a light source is bright enough to increase it again.
The film Unforgiven is a prime example of this, it's in the dark for about 20 minutes!

Thanks.

I know of the issue you're referring to & it's possible to turn it off but only via the service menu which is only accessible via a special remote or via a android smartphone + app that has a IR blaster.

Hi all,

Thanks.
Don’t know about the C8, but the C7 does the same and I agree it’s very annoying. Other than going into the service menu as above, the only fudge I’ve found is to hit the menu button then dismiss it once the screen brightens. Of course it relies on you realising it has dimmed and, if it is a long dark scene, the whole process starts all over again, so it’s a messy workaround at best.

It’s little things like this that will have me looking at Panasonic and Sony when replacement time comes around.

Hi all,

Thanks.
Cause is ASBL which is meant to dim static content such as a paused disc, disc menu or a photo etc. It's on all the LG models AFAIK. LG implementation has a bug in that it sees dim scenes as static content.
Only cure is to make the screen momentarily bright by clicking Settings, Home button etc on the remote (I used Info button on my E6 but it seems to have been removed from my E8 remote) or by setting ASBL off in the service menu How to: Turn off ASBL on LG OLED TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
I know of the issue you're referring to & it's possible to turn it off but only via the service menu which is only accessible via a special remote or via a android smartphone + app that has a IR blaster.
And a Harmony remote and some others available on ebay.

Last edited:
I found a solution. Ditch the OLED and go for a LED-LCD and embrace other artifacts :laugh:

Cheers for the replies guys, think i might go down the service menu route!

Cause is ASBL which is meant to dim static content such as a paused disc, disc menu or a photo etc. It's on all the LG models AFAIK. LG implementation has a bug in that it sees dim scenes as static content.
Only cure is to make the screen momentarily bright by clicking Settings, Home button etc on the remote (I used Info button on my E6 but it seems to have been removed from my E8 remote) or by setting ASBL off in the service menu How to: Turn off ASBL on LG OLED TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

And a Harmony remote and some others available on ebay.

Sorry, just another point, i've read on that guide that it could potentially cause burn-in for logos as it does local dimming on them? Any experience of this? I'd be surprised if it did and would think it's only dim when the whole screen dims...

Sorry, just another point, i've read on that guide that it could potentially cause burn-in for logos as it does local dimming on them? Any experience of this? I'd be surprised if it did and would think it's only dim when the whole screen dims...
That I don't know, whether it just controls static screens or also controls static logos.
Erring on the safe side I generally have it on and only turn it off if I'm watching a movie I know will be affected by it. Harry Potters, The Mummy (latest) and as you say Unforgiven all spring to mind. I've read others say they have it permanently off with no problems.

The same TPC (ASBL) menu item has been in the LG service menu for yonks and is still there in the 2018 models which have a user controllable logo dimming feature which may point to it not being involved in logo dimming.

Last edited:
That I don't know, whether it just controls static screens or also controls static logos.
Erring on the safe side I generally have it on and only turn it off if I'm watching a movie I know will be affected by it. Harry Potters, The Mummy (latest) and as you say Unforgiven all spring to mind. I've read others say they have it permanently off with no problems.

The same TPC (ASBL) menu item has been in the LG service menu for yonks and is still there in the 2018 models which have a user controllable logo dimming feature which may point to it not being involved in logo dimming.
Excellent response, thanks very much matey :) I think i'll look into getting a Harmony remote or pinching an android phone off someone.

I turned off TPC Enable which causes this unwanted dimming in dark scenes on day 1 of owning my E6 (almost had it for 2 years now) & the dimming of static logos/icons still works as normal.

Haven't noticed the dimming on my set yet, not watched any HDR movies since but have been playing Forza Horizon 4 loads with nothing noticed.

If I do see it with DV/HDR content what exactly do I turn off in the service menu? (I have a Harmony remote).
....and will it still dim when the screen is static for a while to save the screen?

If I do see it with DV/HDR content what exactly do I turn off in the service menu? (I have a Harmony remote).
See post #4 for answer to your question...;)
....and will it still dim when the screen is static for a while to save the screen?
No, it will not dim a static screen with it off (but as post #10 notes will not affect logo dimming).

The latest firmware (v4.10.05) is now listed on the LG site, and this is the listed software information:

1. Improvement
1) Google Assistant is also available in the following countries.
(Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Korea, Spain, United Kingdom)

2) Alibaba voice AI feature is available in China.

3) You can control the TV (channel change, volume control, input switch, etc.) using the Google Home / Amazon Echo Smart Speakers in the following countries as well.
(Google Home : France, Germany, Japan, Korea)
(Amazon Echo : Australia, Canada)

4) We have reduced the amount of time the cursor is displayed when not moving the MRCU.

In addition, Minor Bugs are fixed.

Not a mention about changes to ABL (unless they regard it as a minor bug).

I looked for local dimming setting on my 55c7 model settings but I couldn't find it. There are a couple of videos on the internet showing you how to turn it off but i guess they fail to mention that not every oled model has dimming setting (it's either that or something wrong with my tv settings because it definitely does not have that setting).

Are other people still suffering with this?
I have logo luminance adjustment sent to low but if I’m watching any channel with a logo for more than a minute or so then the whole screen gets really dark. It’s really annoying.

Are other people still suffering with this?
I have logo luminance adjustment sent to low but if I’m watching any channel with a logo for more than a minute or so then the whole screen gets really dark. It’s really annoying.
Yes it’s still the same.
Going in to the service menu is the only way to turn it off.
It shouldn’t be happening all the time though. Only on long dimly lit scenes. It should never dim while watching the news for example.

Yes it’s still the same.
Going in to the service menu is the only way to turn it off.
It shouldn’t be happening all the time though. Only on long dimly lit scenes. It should never dim while watching the news for example.
I like others just turned TPC Enable off from Day one, I just couldn't cope with it otherwise.

Is it correct that if you are in PC mode or Game Mode that logo dimming does not work?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom