LG OLED 88 inch 8K

LGE is yet a third company. When LGD was more Phillips-owned all this was clearer.

The announcement was made by LG (Lucky Goldstar) who are not owned by anyone other than LG. Phillips buy panels from them and Both LG and Samasung now dominate the TV market ever by manufacturing and selling TV with their own proprieary branding or by being the manufacturer that supplies the mass majority of the other manufacturers with TV panels. LG is the only OLED supplier in the world and every OLED TV uses an LG panel. THey are huge and own some pretty substanial audio and video concerns. THe announcement was made by LG and no one else with a similar name.

LGD used to be LGP LCD, where the P stands for Philips. Also LGD is one of two companies supplying large size OLED panels. The other is BOE.

He is correct. It´s an announcement made by LG Display not LG Electronics. Look at the logo on the panel demo presentation. Also there is no LGE flickr post or press release about the 88" OLED. It´s a display not a TV and it´s made by LG Display.

LGD used to be LGP LCD, where the P stands for Philips. Also LGD is one of two companies supplying large size OLED panels. The other is BOE.

and have nothing at all to do with LG. You stated that the title was incorrect and then suggested LG were not the concern making the announcement LG are the concern and did make the announcement. I've no idea where you are getting the impression that any of the other concerns you've mentioned are the parties involved? None of them have any ability to manufacture OLED panels, let alone an 88" panel.

Phillips have never owned any part of LG. LG has never been owned by any other company. Phillips are and always have been a Dutch concern while LG have aleays been South Korean.

LG Electronics was established in 1958 and has since led the way into the advanced digital era thanks to the technological expertise acquired by manufacturing many home appliances such as radios and TVs.

LG Electronics has unveiled many new products, applied new technologies in the form of mobile devices and digital TVs in the 21st century and continues to reinforce its status as a global company.

Our Brand | About LG | LG UK

Note that LG refer to themselves as LG and not by the term LG Electronics. Nor do they refrain from mentioning TV panels alongsife car components.

Last edited:
He is correct. It´s an announcement made by LG Display not LG Electronics. Look at the logo on the panel demo presentation. Also there is no LGE flickr post or press release about the 88" OLED. It´s a display not a TV and it´s made by LG Display.

The topic titles says LG and he said it was wrong which it isn't. The title makes no mention of either LG Display or Electronics.

LG Display is part of LG Electronics and the topic title makes no mention of either. It says LG which is correct. It most definately has sod all to do with Phillips :)

By the way, LG use that same logo for every aspect of the LG group, ranging from chemicals, TV panels, TVs, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications and car parts. The logo is not specific to the display manufacturing division. I think they even use it on their washing machines or are they made by LG Display too? If so, who wants an 8K washing machine????

Last edited:
Anyone got a distance chart for this 8K monster? Will it ship with a screen protector for my nose?

Optimal seating distance for 1080p = 3 x screen heights.

For 4K = 1.5 x screen heights.

For 8K = 0.75 screen heights.

An 88" screen is roughly 115cm tall, so you'd need to sit closer than 173cm (68", or 5'8") for there to be any theoretical difference at all (not that there's a 4K 88" set as an option), and 86cm (34", or 2' 10") to get the full benefit.

The usual caveats apply.

In all seriousness there’s no way the European market needs 8K for at least another decade and even then only for projectors.

I don't think anyone needs, or will ever need 8K in a home cinema environment.

It may be the nature of what we consider normal viewing, changes, along with the way in which films are shot and are designed to be seen. It may be that people build, buy, and live in houses with cinema-sized rooms (and bigger). But that aside, not necessary.

I'll suggest that watching a film at such distances suggest is not in line with what film directors and DoPs ever expected you to watch them.

IMAX aside.

Note ive missed out the name to Avoid an argument :

A certain Electronics Company have announced its 2018 OLED TV lineup. The company updated all of its models, except the OLEDG7 which will not get a successor in 2018. All the TVs are based on new a9 "intelligent processor" that promises better color and fast smart TV (webOS) operations - except the entry-level B8 which uses a scaled-down version of the chip.

LG-OLED-W8-img_assist-400x267.jpg

The OLEDW8 will be LG's flagship TV for this year, a wallpaper design OLED TV which attaches to the wall using magnets - with a thin cable that connects to the sound bar and interface box. Like all the rest of the TVs, the W8 will support Google's Assistant for natural language control, Dolby Atmos, HDR and 4K HFR (120Hz).

The other new models are the OLED-on-glass OLEDE8, the basic OLEDC8 and the entry level OLEDB8. LGE did not reveal the price or release dates of these TVs, but hopefully we will have more information about LG's upcoming TVs next week from CES .

Interesting they are taking out a c8 77”
I see many of these been sold at great prices around next November.
65” will soon be the new portable.

And I also think the C8 77" will be the first set to go to £4999 (as in, sub-£5k, less than £5000), most likely in a limited sale towards the end of the year. You heard it here first.

Last edited:

And not too long ago 32inch was i candy and huge and expensive hulk of box .

Poss this year Oled will hit under £1000.00
As its already £1049.00 now .

They've got rid of the soundbar on the E series :eek::confused::(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

And I also think the C8 77" will be the first set to go to £4999 (as in, sub-£5k, less than £5000), most likely in a limited sale towards the end of the year. You heard it here first.

Last edited:

I foresee the C8 77" been the first 77" to £4999 (under 5k) for a brief sale period at the end of the year. (you read it here first guys) :cool::D

isn't that right @raymondo77 :D:D:D:D

I foresee the C8 77" been the first 77" to £4999 (under 5k) for a brief sale period at the end of the year. (you read it here first guys) :cool::D

If they released a 65inch Oled Monitor it have my name on it .....
But maybe the tech is not quite ready yet
But i think they have show panels out but Expensive ?

I'd say very likely in year end sales for the B8 55" micro model.

They've got rid of the soundbar on the E series :eek::confused::(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

wheres it say they've got rid of the soundbar, ive not read that, without a soundbar theres no point in the E series, personally i prefere the better sound of the E series to the B/C's.

wheres it say they've got rid of the soundbar, ive not read that, without a soundbar theres no point in the E series, personally i prefere the better sound of the E series to the B/C's.
Maybe they will be going with their crystal sound? (behind the screen like sony a1 oled) ?

e8.jpg

Like @jmacc says, it looks as though it will have the Crystal Sound setup instead as there's no indication of a soundbar in the photo, although it may not be an official image, suppose we'll find out next week

List of OLED TVs | OLED-Info

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom