LG OLED 77" GX or G1 Wall Mounting

ksl

Novice Member
Hello everyone, we are going to wall mount an LG OLED 77" G1 which we have not received yet. However there are a lot of wall preparation like fitting a new 14" x 14" recess box towards the bottom into the brick wall that needs to be done before the TV arrives. LG tells me the back of 77" GX (2020) is identical to 77" G1 (2021) but is useless in providing dimension and distance measurements on the back of the TV. The existing wall is also full of recesses made for the previous TV so unless I have the distance between the top edge of the LG 77" G1 or GX I will not know which old recesses to fill TV and where exactly to fit the new lower recess box. We have searched around and no shops or stores have the 77" on display for us to measure, they all seem to have the 65" version. LG has been very useless to provide such information, so our only hope is someone who already has 77" GX or G1 to do us a favour and measure only from top edge of their TV to highest point of the LG wall bracket which is bolted onto the wall. I know the TV comes with a wall template with a cut out for the wall bracket but until you get the TV you cannot have the template. Could anyone help please by either measuring that distance on their template or actual wall installation? Many Thanks

5to1

If I were you I wouldn't take them on their word when they say the back of the GX & G1 are identical. From previous posts their first line support isn't the most reliable when it comes to disseminating info. Would be a right PITA to do the work only to find out they'd told you the wrong thing.

At the very least I'd try to check if the 65" GX & G1 are the same on the back, before going with someones measurements on the 77" GX.

Good luck.

ksl

Novice Member
Thank you for your response. You are right. I did not want to get caught out and did check the back of 65" GX and G1, they were identical. In fact I did see some dimensioned rear view plan of the two TV's as well and they were identical, but the dimension I was looking for was missing from the plans I saw; LG support also told me, cosmetically the backs of G1 and GX are identical. So I have to rely on real world if someone who has it or has access to template for it, measures it for me. Thank you again for your input.

Ocho

Standard Member
I want to understand what 14 x 14 recess you're talking about.

Looking at this video, there doesn't seem to be such a need for something like that:

What am I missing?

ksl

Novice Member
Hi, If you don't have a recess box into the wall on the wall behind the TV towards the bottom edge of the TV, all your cables (Power, HDMI, Coax, Satellite, Ethernet, USB) will be hanging down from bottom of TV for a flush fitting. If you do not want to see any cables hanging, you need to recess a 14" x 14" (350mm x 350mm approx.) where all the cables from TV go and from there through conduits they go to the equipment e.g. AV receiver, Apple TV, Satellite receiver, Network switch, USB source, Blu-ray player etc. See the video at following link:

I have also attached a dimensioned drawing for a 65" GX which shows the exact position of the 14x14" recessed box and a dimensioned rear view for a 77" GX which also shows where the 14x14" recess box should be fitted relative to back of the TV. Please note all the dimensions on these drawings are in inches as I got them from US sites. LG UK is totally useless. Hope these help.

Attachments

• OLED65GX Rear View & recessed AV box.pdf
    46.3 KB · Views: 188
  • LG OLED77G16LA Rear View with Dimensions.pdf
    92.4 KB · Views: 313

ksl

Novice Member
After much struggle with LG UK, I managed to get some half useful info out of them (took two weeks). They say the the top of TV to the mounting hole centres on back of the TV for a 77" G1 is 168mm, but as this is not from top of TV to top of the LG wall bracket, I now have to go to a showroom and measure from those centre points at the back of TV to top of wall bracket on a 65" TV which will be the same as that for a 77" G1 as the LG Flush bracket is identical for all 55, 65 and 77 GX/G1s.

ksl

Novice Member
Eventually managed to get hold of a full size paper template which should come with all LG GX/G1 TVs and shows the distance between the top edge of all 55", 65" and 77" GX/G1 TVs to top edge of the part of the bracket that is fixed to the wall. In case anyone is interested that distance in case of a 77" G1/GX is 118mm. Knowing this in advance allows to work out where the bottom of TV will be and from that where the 14" x 14" recess box must be fitted as the bottom edge of the recess box must be maximum30mm above the bottom edge of the TV to allow the exit point of the power cable be inside the recess box.

5to1

After all this I hope you like the TV. Would be a bummer if you decided to switch model after all that leg work 😬

ksl

Novice Member
I have a decent size AV recess box (9" x 9" x 3"deep) previously built in towards the upper half of TV with well recessed separate power, ethernet and coax/satellite sockets for the old TV that broke down beyond economical repair. That old recess box is staying as it is what is needed for majority of wall mounted TVs that are not supposed to sit flush with the wall due to their bulges at the rear. All I am adding at the moment for the new G1 TV is to built in the lower 14" x 14" recess box suitable to this LG TV and making straight connections between the two recess boxes using a couple of 40mm conduits so all the cables (HDMI, USB, Coax, Satellite, Ethernet, etc) can be routed easily from the top recess box to the new bottom one. I am also building in a recessed channel (40mm x 25mm deep) from the 14" x 14" box to the existing recessed power sockets so I don't have to wire up for power again.

The combination of the two recess boxes and several built-in large diameter 40mm ID conduits with very smooth bends (which let even Active HDMI cables ends to go through them) to the media cupboard next to the chimney breast where the TV is going to be hanging, should provide plenty of future proofing.

As to the G1 TV itself I found it to be noticeably brighter than the GX, enough for our purposes anyway (although I know there are TVs of the same sort of size but more expensive with higher brightness using older non-evo OLED LG GX panels with heat sink) so I am hoping the G1 is going to give us years of service as we do not tend to change TVs more often than every 8 years. I don't believe 8K TV's are an investment rather a waste of money at the moment, as there is not going to be sufficient 8K content for another 8 to 10 years (except games), and you will be able to buy a descent 8K TV for a fraction of the today costs in 5 to 8 years. So I think spending the money for the best 4K TV you can afford is the way to go. I will take pictures of the wall behind the TV once it is all completed for my purposes but if anyone wanted to see how it all looks, let me know and I will post some pictures.

Mallow 34

Standard Member
Eventually managed to get hold of a full size paper template which should come with all LG GX/G1 TVs and shows the distance between the top edge of all 55", 65" and 77" GX/G1 TVs to top edge of the part of the bracket that is fixed to the wall. In case anyone is interested that distance in case of a 77" G1/GX is 118mm. Knowing this in advance allows to work out where the bottom of TV will be and from that where the 14" x 14" recess box must be fitted as the bottom edge of the recess box must be maximum30mm above the bottom edge of the TV to allow the exit point of the power cable be inside the recess box.
8B99E389-8C04-4FF9-9F60-4AE4E11101D6.png

Hi
Where did you manage to get template. I found this on the LG website, but hesitant to start smashing holes in the wall without an actual template.
I’m hoping to get all the building out of the way on the quiet, to avoid any further grief when it arrives. 😂😉

ksl

Novice Member
I managed to borrow the template from a friend who had received his 65" G1 but noticed that the template for 55, 65 and 77" were all on the same template with different lines showing what size TV it was for. Every LG G1 or GX arrives with a template inside the box, so unless you can borrow it from someone else, you need to wait until your TV comes if you want to use the template at all. You really do not need to use it if you have the diagram that I have posted as well above. All you need top know is the distance between top edge of the TV and top edge of the wall bracket but that is different for different size TVs although the wall bracket is identical. for 77" G1 that distance is 118mm. I hope this helps.

Alcopoppa

Am I missing something I don't see why the cables can't just go behind the plasterboard through a hole, fall down the back and then come out the bottom into the av receiver and power etc? So I can't see why you need the recessed box?

ksl

Novice Member
That is absolutely possible. but if you don't have your AV equipment just below the TV and in a media cupboard across the room or on the left or right of the TV wall, then you need to pipe all those cables into the recess box. In my case I had a solid brick wall with a low level hole in the wall 1.2m wide low level fireplace under the TV. After I installed the recess box above the fireplace (i.e. behind the TV) I also connected the recess box using various size conduits to my media cupboard on the side of the chimney breast. I installed an Ethernet socket, Arial/satellite socket and power socket inside the 16" x 14" recess box and using short interconnect cables I connected the TV to these sockets. But with HDMI cable I had built into the wall a big conduit (45mm dia) from the recess box to the media cupboard so I ran the HDMI cable through this conduit from the recess box to the media cupboard (needed a 5 meter HDMI 2.1 cable end to end between the TV HDMI socket and the AV receiver back.

Alcopoppa

That is absolutely possible. but if you don't have your AV equipment just below the TV and in a media cupboard across the room or on the left or right of the TV wall, then you need to pipe all those cables into the recess box. In my case I had a solid brick wall with a low level hole in the wall 1.2m wide low level fireplace under the TV. After I installed the recess box above the fireplace (i.e. behind the TV) I also connected the recess box using various size conduits to my media cupboard on the side of the chimney breast. I installed an Ethernet socket, Arial/satellite socket and power socket inside the 16" x 14" recess box and using short interconnect cables I connected the TV to these sockets. But with HDMI cable I had built into the wall a big conduit (45mm dia) from the recess box to the media cupboard so I ran the HDMI cable through this conduit from the recess box to the media cupboard (needed a 5 meter HDMI 2.1 cable end to end between the TV HDMI socket and the AV receiver back.
Ah I see, cheers!

Mallow 34

Standard Member
I managed to borrow the template from a friend who had received his 65" G1 but noticed that the template for 55, 65 and 77" were all on the same template with different lines showing what size TV it was for. Every LG G1 or GX arrives with a template inside the box, so unless you can borrow it from someone else, you need to wait until your TV comes if you want to use the template at all. You really do not need to use it if you have the diagram that I have posted as well above. All you need top know is the distance between top edge of the TV and top edge of the wall bracket but that is different for different size TVs although the wall bracket is identical. for 77" G1 that distance is 118mm. I hope this helps.
Thanks for getting back, I’d hoped you’d found a stockist for the template.
Have you seen the, B the installer video where he is disappointed with the quality of the bracket. How did you find it ?

Mallow 34

Standard Member
Am I missing something I don't see why the cables can't just go behind the plasterboard through a hole, fall down the back and then come out the bottom into the av receiver and power etc? So I can't see why you need the recessed box?
I think we all have far to many holes smashed in the plasterboard behind our TV’s. 😂
The TV being replaced sits on the 1 annoying back facing hdmi and the plug in a socket.
This time with this sexy flush fitting model I’m going to give more respect.
I’m assuming the 4 HDMI, USB’s, optical and Cat 5/6 cable have to bunch in that space before going behind the plasterboard.
I also have to move the socket to the void and swap for double to accommodate power to the SONOS ARC.
Without a void I think it would be impossible to get the flush fit with that mass of cables.
This time I’m determined to get it looking flush.👍

Jjharrison21

Novice Member
Would you mind sharing photos of your recess box. I have the exact same situation as you basically with the G1 going on a bricked chimney breast wall. My problem is that my current power outlet/ethernet/ A/V tunnelling to side of chimney are all normal sockets on the bricked wall that would stop the G1 going flush.

My first options is, accept that my TV will never be flush against the wall and will just stick out the width of a plug socket in to power. This is fine however I'm not sure if the wall mount that comes in box with the G1 is okay to be left pulled out maybe 1.5 inches and this wont ruin the integrity of the wall mount/weights its carrying.

Second option is to recess a box as you have towards the bottom of the TV, move my existing power outlets /ethernets/ and hdmi tunnelling into this recess box, and then it should go flush. That said this recessed box is easier said than done in brick walls so any ideas much appreciated

Pagination1

Novice Member
Hi there, first post for me!

I am looking at getting the 65 inch LG OLED G1 TV.

I note with the G1, that the supplied wall bracket is positioned near to the top of the rear of the TV.

However, when looking at videos, I see that there appear to be other screw holes towards the middle/base of the G1 TV - are they additional mounting holes?

I ask, as if I can only mount using the wall bracket supplied with the TV, I will need to move the position of my existing powerplugs, as they are exactly in the position where I think the G1 wall bracket will need to go.

However, if there are additional mounting holes at the back of the G1, maybe I can find another wall bracket solution.

Thanks in advance for your help!

weeman2

I note with the G1, that the supplied wall bracket is positioned near to the top of the rear of the TV.

However, when looking at videos, I see that there appear to be other screw holes towards the middle/base of the G1 TV - are they additional mounting holes?

I ask, as if I can only mount using the wall bracket supplied with the TV, I will need to move the position of my existing powerplugs, as they are exactly in the position where I think the G1 wall bracket will need to go.

However, if there are additional mounting holes at the back of the G1, maybe I can find another wall bracket solution.

Yes it does have additional mounting holes. Vesa 300x300.

George

Mallow 34

Standard Member

If you use another bracket using the VESA option, you won’t get the flush fit you maybe hoping for.
The included mount allows it to recess and to get the look you want you would have to move your sockets into a recess box along with the other cables to allow it to be flush fit.
If your using the VESA holes why not go C1 77 inch now reduced to £3699.
The G1 looks fabulous fitted flush, but seeing them not flush and with cables and trunking showing is heartbreaking.🥲

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JBL announces L52 Classic speaker and L75ms all-in-one
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony Bravia XR X95J TV range gets 65-inch model in August
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What was new on Blu-ray for July 2021
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
Samsung QD-OLED TVs primed for 2022 launch?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky to add NBCUniversal's Peacock service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom