LG OLED 65CX - Freesat/Freeview?

adm

Standard Member
Hi All,

I am just about to buy an LG 65CX unit. Probably from RicherSounds for the extra year warranty, but I do have a question.....

I know that the TV does not currently have a Freeview play app and that LG are apparently meant to be adding it at some point. No big deal.

I currently have Sky Q but want to get rid of it as Sky are robbing bastards. I am out of contract, so no issue there. (I also have an Xbox Series X on the way, and we have an Amazon Prime subscription and I am debating adding an Amazon Fire TV Cube box)

But I will need to add some form of Freeview/Freesat capability to keep my wife happy with all the "regular" channels in a vaguely standard TV interface way (i.e. not a separate app for each channel, but a halfway decent EPG that she can use).

Now, all the online descriptions of this TV say it has built in Freeview/Freesat tuners. So could I simply plug the satellite cable that is currently plugged into the Sky Q into the back of the TV, ditch the Sky box and get all the Freesat channels with a usable interface? If so, then Bingo! I'd add a USB drive to allow PVR capability and storage. But is it really that simple?

I seem to remember that the 5 year old Sony Bravia that we currently have didn't work when I tried this. But that was 5 years ago.

Anyway, I'd appreciate input from any CX owners.

Many thanks in advance!

ZipBuiltIn

Now, all the online descriptions of this TV say it has built in Freeview/Freesat tuners. So could I simply plug the satellite cable that is currently plugged into the Sky Q into the back of the TV, ditch the Sky box and get all the Freesat channels with a usable interface? If so, then Bingo! I'd add a USB drive to allow PVR capability and storage. But is it really that simple?

I seem to remember that the 5 year old Sony Bravia that we currently have didn't work when I tried this. But that was 5 years ago.

You'll need to change the SkyQ LNB to a standard Universal LNB.

Labgear Universal Quad LNB

adm

Standard Member
Interesting - thanks! £15 and a few minutes up a ladder and that's it?

So presumably, when Sky installed Sky Q, they replaced the standard LNB with a Wideband one, and I would just need to switch it back. I don't think they changed any cabling though so the same double co-ax that I currently have is all I need?

harry66

I dunno about Sky Q - but I have been using an ancient Thomson satellite box leftover from an old Sky contract to receive some free Asian channels etc.

I recently purchased an LG-43UN73006LC, removed the cable from the Thomson box - attached it to the back of the TV and it found the various Freesat channels just fine.

We then realised that the Freesat channel list was not the same - so I changed the Satellite tuning settings to Astra 28.2E (instead of Freesat) - did a retune and it seems we can now get the channels we used to get with the Thomson box (not checked all - just the ones the missus likes).

Have not yet tried the PVR stuff - fingers crossed I can ditch the ancient Humax box as well!!

bobbymax

Not a CX owner (B9), but I have a Freesat box simply for recording/pause etc (PVR).
It works a treat on my B9, but very slow to start up.
I originally got the box to dump the extortionate Virgin bills.:smashin:

adm

Standard Member
Well, I ordered the 65 CX and it's being delivered tomorrow. I was also reading that "newer 4K Freesat tuners" can use a Sky Q satellite feed directly - but I suspect that my be BS. I'll give it a try before cancelling Sky and replacing the LNB on my dish though...

I may end up buying a 4K Freesat PVR box though, but time will tell.

adm

Standard Member
Did you have to change the LNB I the end?

I haven't got around to it yet. And haven't tried putting the Sky feed into the CX yet either. Mainly been soaking up 4K streaming and Blu-Rays with my new Sonos Arc soundbar!

There's only one RF connector on the back as you probably know, so the whole "record one while watching another" thing isn't going to work (as far as I know), so I put the project on back burner.

I'll probably need to get a FreeSat box in the end....

FazerThou

[QUOTE="adm, post: 28929789, member: 477340"

There's only one RF connector on the back as you probably know
[/QUOTE]
I have the rf and a sat type connector on mine

adm

Standard Member
[QUOTE="adm, post: 28929789, member: 477340"

There's only one RF connector on the back as you probably know
I have the rf and a sat type connector on mine
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, sorry...that's kind of what I meant. Only one screw type sat connector. Also a standard old fashioned style terrestrial Ariel connector, but I have just ignored those for the last ten years or so!

FazerThou

Well i ran a lead from the sat dish (at least 10 years old) that wasn't being used this afternoon to try and seemed to work just fine, not sure if i'm missing any channels or not, just told the tv 'freesat' and done.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom