LG Oled 65c8 popping/cracking sound

LG Manual on the cracking/popping noise:

What should I do if I hear popping noises while watching TV or turning TV on or off?

What should I do if I hear popping noises while watching TV or turning TV on or off?

Symptom
Symptom

Cracking noises are made from TV when power is turned on or off.

Cause
Cause

1. Cracking noise

- The noise heard while TV is viewed or turned on or off is due to thermal(heat)
deformation or heat expansion of plastic materials
due to temperature and humidity.
It happens commonly on products subject to heat deformation such as vehicles or furniture.

2. Electrical noise

- It is a subtle sound generated from a high-speed switching circuit when current
is supplied to operate products.
The noise level differs by model.

Note : Noises does not affect product performance and reliability.
It is normal to have a certain level of noise that meets strict standards LG follows
when manufacturing the products, and they are not subject to exchange or refunds.

oh so LG still replaced the board knowing it was not quite a fault ? I will check out the CX manual

yeah that is exactly similar to what I get a few clicks sometimes 10-30 secs apart it can sometimes just do it 5-7 times in a row and then nothing for 30 minutes or an hour, or after 2-3hrs nothing and then just 1-2 clicks its very random.

I only hear it since I use it my LG CX as a surfing monitor during the day with no speakers or audio up so its very obvious, id bet majority put the audio/speakers up so don't hear it.

I have moved my stb boxes and 28" monitor further away from my LG CX and a few clicks still here and there so not does not quite look like the magnet theory was a good one!

Will try the noise foam sticky pads around the wall mount and see how that goes next, but as you say it is just the LG hardware inside.
Yeah I wouldnt waste your time. It's all internal stuff that you can't fix. They changed it as it was crackling about fifty times in an hour...excessive and was gong constantly..no idea if the part was new

Yeah I wouldnt waste your time. It's all internal stuff that you can't fix. They changed it as it was crackling about fifty times in an hour...excessive and was gong constantly..no idea if the part was new

Yeah figured as much although I did add some rubber sealant on my wall mount every little bit helps with other vibrations and rattles, still keeps crackling.

Its not excessive though but early it went maybe 20 times within first 10 minutes then silent for an hour or so then just one or two, still that is good they repaired it for you that is way too much for such a high end level TV and will bear that in mind in the future thanks.

Yeah figured as much although I did add some rubber sealant on my wall mount every little bit helps with other vibrations and rattles, still keeps crackling.

Its not excessive though but early it went maybe 20 times within first 10 minutes then silent for an hour or so then just one or two, still that is good they repaired it for you that is way too much for such a high end level TV and will bear that in mind in the future thanks.
Totally agree... It's a lot for it to do that... I'd complain if it were twenty..too much..five year warranty hopefully

Totally agree... It's a lot for it to do that... I'd complain if it were twenty..too much..five year warranty hopefully

Yeah 5 year john lewis D&G warranty, there is that law in the consumers act saying if they attempt to repair it usually a number of times or it keeps failing you are entitled to a refund so its always something at least !

Yeah 5 year john lewis D&G warranty, there is that law in the consumers act saying if they attempt to repair it usually a number of times or it keeps failing you are entitled to a refund so its always something at least !
Good thinking batman... I love mine.. Just annoying as the picture is great.

Good thinking batman... I love mine.. Just annoying as the picture is great.

Started to get 50-60 clicks also !

Going through the LG repair process atm.

Did you say you still got a few clicks even after the mainboard replacement and few after switching it off still ?

Started to get 50-60 clicks also !

Going through the LG repair process atm.

Did you say you still got a few clicks even after the mainboard replacement and few after switching it off still ?
Yes mate the replacement board does the trick for a while and you then think it's worked but I've now got about four or five within the first fifteen mins which i can handle. Mine was found mental like yours. I don't think that the mainboard can handle everything that goes into it and overheats. Sadly the noise is in the manual which they hide behind saying that it's what oleds do

Yes mate the replacement board does the trick for a while and you then think it's worked but I've now got about four or five within the first fifteen mins which i can handle. Mine was found mental like yours. I don't think that the mainboard can handle everything that goes into it and overheats. Sadly the noise is in the manual which they hide behind saying that it's what oleds do

cheers mate yeah I suspected that is why they mentioned it in the site and manual. Thing is there was no clicking or just the odd one before for almost first 3 months use, at worst it was just the buzzing/slight clicking sound you get when its switched off and doing that pixel refresh for 10 minutes or so but then silence after.

I think you hit the nail on the head since I started to get more issues when I attached all 3 devices to the side ports where as before it was just 1 device. I guess its liveable with just few clicks first 15 but for sure it has to be silent after that.

Maybe one work around to this issue or preventing the issue is to use a 3 or 5 in 1 hdmi splitter, one with auto switching tech so if you switch off a device it goes to the only active source, bit fiddly to keep switching on/off devices though but maybe can use the lg magic remote to control the devices or as many as can.

Do you by chance use fiber optic hdmi cables ?

cheers mate yeah I suspected that is why they mentioned it in the site and manual. Thing is there was no clicking or just the odd one before for almost first 3 months use, at worst it was just the buzzing/slight clicking sound you get when its switched off and doing that pixel refresh for 10 minutes or so but then silence after.

I think you hit the nail on the head since I started to get more issues when I attached all 3 devices to the side ports where as before it was just 1 device. I guess its liveable with just few clicks first 15 but for sure it has to be silent after that.

Maybe one work around to this issue or preventing the issue is to use a 3 or 5 in 1 hdmi splitter, one with auto switching tech so if you switch off a device it goes to the only active source, bit fiddly to keep switching on/off devices though but maybe can use the lg magic remote to control the devices or as many as can.

Do you by chance use fiber optic hdmi cables ?
I've got audio quest pearls which are meant to be the best you can get lol. Optical stuff is meant to be good isn't it? Crazy how the clicking increased with more devices. Whenever I switch over to Netflix or something online it does it too... Also when it's in rest mode I can hear a static noise coming from the board area so it's obviously doing something behind the scenes. Weird

I've got audio quest pearls which are meant to be the best you can get lol. Optical stuff is meant to be good isn't it? Crazy how the clicking increased with more devices. Whenever I switch over to Netflix or something online it does it too... Also when it's in rest mode I can hear a static noise coming from the board area so it's obviously doing something behind the scenes. Weird

Yeah audio quest pearls are top of the line, doubt you could have done anything wrong really. So you still got it without a fiber optical cable then so that means nothing wrong really with my cables then, but maybe my hdmi splitter box idea could still help.

It must be a very rare fault since on reddit and google literally this is the only thread which highlights this fault, maybe majority of owners have the LG in the living room and have the telly volume full up and when the telly is off they go to bed so don't hear the fault.

I will ask the tech guy when they call or the engineer that comes out if its a known issue or if there is anything I can do to stop it from re-occurring.

Yeah audio quest pearls are top of the line, doubt you could have done anything wrong really. So you still got it without a fiber optical cable then so that means nothing wrong really with my cables then, but maybe my hdmi splitter box idea could still help.

It must be a very rare fault since on reddit and google literally this is the only thread which highlights this fault, maybe majority of owners have the LG in the living room and have the telly volume full up and when the telly is off they go to bed so don't hear the fault.

I will ask the tech guy when they call or the engineer that comes out if its a known issue or if there is anything I can do to stop it from re-occurring.
It's 100% logged with lg as it's a known issue. Some people don't notice it at all and others who are more vigilant do.
Tell them 60 clicks aren't normal and you can't watch the TV as it's distracting and shouldn't be happening. You'll get a new board no problem. It's a quick swap. May do the trick...
Mines the 55 inch version of the b9 lol its in so many other sets though too all of which are lg.

Few others who have had issues... On different threads etc

Attachments

• 69DCEF97-AA94-4A5D-92A7-6ABC2D60476C.png
    69DCEF97-AA94-4A5D-92A7-6ABC2D60476C.png
    229 KB · Views: 98
  • BE5F2AD1-78C4-4C98-988A-C7A7DE6B3759.png
    BE5F2AD1-78C4-4C98-988A-C7A7DE6B3759.png
    241 KB · Views: 96
It's 100% logged with lg as it's a known issue. Some people don't notice it at all and others who are more vigilant do.
Tell them 60 clicks aren't normal and you can't watch the TV as it's distracting and shouldn't be happening. You'll get a new board no problem. It's a quick swap. May do the trick...
Mines the 55 inch version of the b9 lol its in so many other sets though too all of which are lg.

cheers, yeah its already logged in just waiting on engineer to call with date now they said it should be a mainboard replacement but ill query it with the repairer if its a a known fault, if its logged they should be well aware of it.

Hopefully get it sorted in the few weeks.

cheers, yeah its already logged in just waiting on engineer to call with date now they said it should be a mainboard replacement but ill query it with the repairer if its a a known fault, if its logged they should be well aware of it.

Hopefully get it sorted in the few weeks.
You get it sorted mate?

You get it sorted mate?

Nothing, I have emailed them twice now to chase it up but all they can do is email the repair department been almost a month now. Will be a bit more patient and see how it goes.

Can you check if this is the same click you get?

you may need headphones and turn up volume, clicks come within 3 secs then 17 ,29 ,43 ,55 ,1.08 roughly

Last edited:
Nothing, I have emailed them twice now to chase it up but all they can do is email the repair department been almost a month now. Will be a bit more patient and see how it goes.

Can you check if this is the same click you get?

you may need headphones and turn up volume, clicks come within 3 secs then 17 ,29 ,43 ,55 ,1.08 roughly

That's different to mine but that may just be the recording. Mines a clink. It won't let me upload it lol.

That's different to mine but that may just be the recording. Mines a clink. It won't let me upload it lol.

oh interested, yeah possible in real life that sound is bit different sounding from my recording, id say its as you say a clink noise, 100% coming from where the side hdmi ports are, possible its different since I have a CX panel.

try registering here its free to upload stuff but takes a bit

I think like iangreasby said its almost like its a hdmi switch noise but even then that don't make sense actually since the noise should stop once its switched over to the hdmi port its using. This is just some faulty part on the mainboard since I never had any Clink or click noise first 3 months.

oh interested, yeah possible in real life that sound is bit different sounding from my recording, id say its as you say a clink noise, 100% coming from where the side hdmi ports are, possible its different since I have a CX panel.

try registering here its free to upload stuff but takes a bit

I think like iangreasby said its almost like its a hdmi switch noise but even then that don't make sense actually since the noise should stop once its switched over to the hdmi port its using. This is just some faulty part on the mainboard since I never had any Clink or click noise first 3 months.
Yeah exactly the same as me. Think it's in all oleds though so we are stuck to a degree but yours is much worse than mine. I get five clicks within 20 mins and then sporadic ones after... I can handle that. Was 60 like yours before I got the board replaced

Yeah exactly the same as me. Think it's in all oleds though so we are stuck to a degree but yours is much worse than mine. I get five clicks within 20 mins and then sporadic ones after... I can handle that. Was 60 like yours before I got the board replaced

Yeah its liveable but still I wouldn't feel too good about those sporadic ones, really it should be completely gone especially after the first few, if you imagine when you use a computer monitor it wouldn't make any clicks and if it did you would say its faulty right away !

I think LG has covered its back but its wording is still loose and not specific, cracking noise on thermal expansions, well our noise comes from one point so this is completely different. Popping subtle noise, subtle word is open to a can of worms.

The bottom line is if it effects or distracts your viewing experience, and if it does its a hardware fault one LG or any retailer would lose in in a court case id reckon. My Samsung TV for 5 years never made any such noise and my Philips LCD lasted 5 years before that and that also never made any clicking, I did get those thermal plastic cracking noises but that was rare and normal and from random locations.

Yeah its liveable but still I wouldn't feel too good about those sporadic ones, really it should be completely gone especially after the first few, if you imagine when you use a computer monitor it wouldn't make any clicks and if it did you would say its faulty right away !

I think LG has covered its back but its wording is still loose and not specific, cracking noise on thermal expansions, well our noise comes from one point so this is completely different. Popping subtle noise, subtle word is open to a can of worms.

The bottom line is if it effects or distracts your viewing experience, and if it does its a hardware fault one LG or any retailer would lose in in a court case id reckon. My Samsung TV for 5 years never made any such noise and my Philips LCD lasted 5 years before that and that also never made any clicking, I did get those thermal plastic cracking noises but that was rare and normal and from random locations.
Yeah you are quite right. Expansion of the components and layers of the screen happen in all sets... This is different tech though and isn't edge lit like most leds so the heat isn't at the sides... Must be a switching issue or something to do with the power through the hdmis. I've seen the board and it's all passive cooled components... If mine gets worse I'm casing JL but I've just come to terms with it. I hate buying tvs. I'd love an led but they all have screen issues of one kind or another...my oled screen is perfect

Yeah true this is the only reason why I stuck with OLED its just another level compared to the rest, but right now these clicks make me sound like I am a terrorist.

JL are a bit odd, they did stick to there TnCs and told me 1st year its all LG. But we do have Consumer rights saying within first 6 months if we get a repair or a repair is not successful within a reasonable time or the fault keeps occurring we are entitled to a refund or exchange from the retailer and its the retailer that is responsible, after 12 months it gets bit more tricky.

check after 6 months bit here:

Its still possible but one of those things you gotta be fast on it, still others have taken cases to court or won it on solicitors emails alone, if the TV is not fit for its purpose a exchange or refund can be done within 5 years purchase, judges tend to use 5 years vs cost of unit phrase, so a TV should be good for 5 years typical usage, if it was a 300 quid tv that maybe different but a ÂŁ800 or 1K+ tv much better for us.

Yeah true this is the only reason why I stuck with OLED its just another level compared to the rest, but right now these clicks make me sound like I am a terrorist.

JL are a bit odd, they did stick to there TnCs and told me 1st year its all LG. But we do have Consumer rights saying within first 6 months if we get a repair or a repair is not successful within a reasonable time or the fault keeps occurring we are entitled to a refund or exchange from the retailer and its the retailer that is responsible, after 12 months it gets bit more tricky.

check after 6 months bit here:

Its still possible but one of those things you gotta be fast on it, still others have taken cases to court or won it on solicitors emails alone, if the TV is not fit for its purpose a exchange or refund can be done within 5 years purchase, judges tend to use 5 years vs cost of unit phrase, so a TV should be good for 5 years typical usage, if it was a 300 quid tv that maybe different but a ÂŁ800 or 1K+ tv much better for us.
Yeah I totally agree and have been down this route many times over the years with various sets. I'm happy enough with mine. Yours is a different matter. Mine was like yours and they were happy to repair etc because it was covered by lg. It's over a year old now..my b9 so it must be in most oled sets. Some still cant hear it despite it being there...my wife and kids don't notice it...im really vigilant though and notice everything sadly

Yeah I totally agree and have been down this route many times over the years with various sets. I'm happy enough with mine. Yours is a different matter. Mine was like yours and they were happy to repair etc because it was covered by lg. It's over a year old now..my b9 so it must be in most oled sets. Some still cant hear it despite it being there...my wife and kids don't notice it...im really vigilant though and notice everything sadly

Same very vigilant ears

I think it just needs a better electrician to apply his work, check here :

It could literally be 20p worth of white compound just to stop the noise.

I think some motherboards maybe better from start so maybe just a case of getting a good un.

If I had no warranty id probably pay an electronic repairer that can fix mainboards to fix the noise !

Last edited:
Same very vigilant ears

I think it just needs a better electrician to apply his work, check here :

It could literally be 20p worth of white compound just to stop the noise.

I think some motherboards maybe better from start so maybe just a case of getting a good un.

If I had no warranty id probably pay an electrician that can fix mainboards to fix the noise !

Was just about to say that haha it looked dead easy to pop everything off. It's only screws and one cable into it inside the rear under the plastic panel. Worth bearing in mind I suppose. I'd call every day trying to get it sorted... I got four clicks earlier when I turned it on and it's not for any worse.....yet

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom