LG OLED 65B7V (Currys 5 Yr Warranty / Power Board Replacement)

HxHammer

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am having a dispute with Currys over my OLED 65B7V and wandering if anybody else has had similar issues and also any opinions if the Power Board and the mark are connected ?.

I started to notice a mark 30x1.5" near bottom of screen in Late Autumn 2020 and thought I'd get it sorted after Xmas. Mid January I received a notification on my TV from LG stating due to an overheating issue I was entitled to a free power board replacement. I wasn't sure if the two were connected. I contacted LG and whilst arranging for the PB to be fitted I also mentioned about the mark. They confirmed it was a faulty screen but didn't think it was caused by the Power Board. To replace it I was looking about £250. Due to having 5 yr warranty with Currys I told them I'd get TV fixed first then we can arrange for PB to be replaced.
I explained the situation with Currys who arranged for the TV to be picked up and they will fix it. Two days later they took it away. I have now been without my TV for 4 weeks. After week 1 they informed me they would not repair it as the repair exceeds the value of the TV and it is easier to write the unit off but are willing to give me depreciated credit, after 31 months of ownership to the value of £951.00. The TV in July 2018 cost me £2220 so there was no way I was excepting that. After further calls and also speaking to a manager they dug their heels in, I guess hoping I would lose the will.

I guess I did lose the will a tad as I asked for my TV back, exactly as it left my house along with the engineers report. I was promised the TV would be sent out in 'a few days'. 2.5 weeks later (last night) I receive a text from Currys with 'Repair Update', stating 'Your product has been assessed and will be returned 'un-repaired' along with an explanatory letter'. No date when it's being returned though.
In this last week I also sent an email to the CEO explaining that they are clearly breaching the conditions of their own warranty and can they explain why so I can understand further.. I have yet to receive a reply.
I am annoyed why Currys won't abide to thier own T&C's and why it costs more than £951 for them to fix it. I will also follow this post up when I get the 'Explanatory Letter' although who knows when that will be!

This is my first post so I hope I have sent this to the right forum and I attach a picture of my TV.

Many Thanks
Tony
Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 16.01.16.png

If you are referring to the wide smudgy line across the bottom, then this looks like burn-in/red pixel degradation. Just had my 55C7V returned today from Currys, fully repaired for similar. Display a plain yellow screen and see how green it looks. As mine is a 55" and had the same line, it's not a specific power module side-effect as the 55" doesn't have the power module issue, or at least it's not published.

Edit: IMO the offer they gave you is decent, in 3 months time the TV will be 3 years old.

If you are referring to the wide smudgy line across the bottom, then this looks like burn-in/red pixel degradation. Just had my 55C7V returned today from Currys, fully repaired for similar. Display a plain yellow screen and see how green it looks. As mine is a 55" and had the same line, it's not a specific power module side-effect as the 55" doesn't have the power module issue, or at least it's not published.

Edit: IMO the offer they gave you is decent, in 3 months time the TV will be 3 years old.
Sorry to dredge up an old-ish thread, but did you get Currys to repair a screen with burn-in? If so what process did you follow and roughly what was the cost please?

I have a ~3 year old 65B7V which has issues similar to the one in the picture attached by the original poster.

I just rang Curry’s and told them that I had been in touch with LG and LG had confirmed it was a faulty panel. I also said that I’d run all the diagnostics that LG asked for (pixel refresher 5 times in a row, reset to defaults). They checked serial, confirmed under guarantee and arranged collection. Panel replaced and returned in a week. I think the bit about having already spoken to LG took the wind out of their sails. Try that.

I just posted this in the main OLED burn-in thread. I have the same issue and from my understanding (at least in my case), this appears to be caused by excessive heat from the power board. The lime green colour, or probably red pixel degradation can clearly be seen from the centre of my display. I contacted Curry's and they are picking the TV up next week. Note that I also received a message on my TV advising I should contacted LG for a precautionary power board replacement. It all seems to be related.

IMG_20210614_122553.jpg
IMG_20210614_122605.jpg
IMG_20210614_122659.jpg

Yours does indeed seem to be localised to the region associated with excessive heat due to the powerboard issue.

Mine was regular screenburn due to channel logos and banners.

Yours does indeed seem to be localised to the region associated with excessive heat due to the powerboard issue.

Mine was regular screenburn due to channel logos and banners.
Yes, mine seems to be fine from a screen burn perspective. This would appear to be caused by the power board heat issue. My TV is being collected on Tuesday by Curry's. Happy to post an update here if it helps anyone. They actually gave me a courtesy call this morning and asked again what the issue was. The guy mentioned if it is the centre of the display then it is probably caused by the heat issue and the panel will need replaced.

I'm not sure if they are still carrying out these replacements, or if they are just replacing them entirely. I would hazard a guess that there's quite a lot of these if they are carrying out the board replacement free of charge, even outside warranty. I can only surmise that most who have this issue haven't noticed or simply don't want the hassle of getting it replaced.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom