LG OLED 65B7A and Dolby Digital+

Mettaman

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have my LG OLED 65B7A connected to a Sonos Arc soundbar via the HDMI-Arc port on my TV. Will the TV pass an Atmos signal to the Arc speaker? Also, does this model TV support DD+? Thanks!

Most (if not all) 4K UHD LG televisions from 2016 onwards are able to pass 'lossy' (Dolby Digital Plus) Atmos via HDMI ARC to a suitably equipped AVR or soundbar...

Do most tv's older than 2016 not support this? (I have a Sony Bravia HX800 from 2010 that seems to only support Dolby Digital, and passing through 2.0 PCM in the case of Dolby Digital Plus... But it's hard to find info on the subject!).

Do most tv's older than 2016 not support this? (I have a Sony Bravia HX800 from 2010 that seems to only support Dolby Digital, and passing through 2.0 PCM in the case of Dolby Digital Plus...
If Dolby Digital Plus isn't mentioned in the TV's 'User Manual' (with a registered trade mark/logo) then you're out of luck...

The manual only mentions "PCM/Dolby Digital optical signal". Doesn't even mention if that's Dolby Digital 2.0 or 5.1 (not sure if it's possible to only have 2.0, or if hardware always will support 5.1 in that case). But yeah, doesn't mention DD+, or DTS for that matter :/

I have 2016 LG 49UH770V model. It has Dolby Digital Plus option under DTV settings so I assume that this codec is implemented in firmware (5.60.25). Unfortunatelly I do not get Atmos from any internall apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime nor Apple TV). My soundbar (JBL 5.0 Multibeam) plays Atmos when sent from XBOX ONE X (Netflix). I asked LG about it and still waiting for their reply.

I have 2016 LG 49UH770V model. It has Dolby Digital Plus option under DTV settings so I assume that this codec is implemented in firmware (5.60.25). Unfortunatelly I do not get Atmos from any internall apps (Netflix, Amazon Prime nor Apple TV). My soundbar (JBL 5.0 Multibeam) plays Atmos when sent from XBOX ONE X (Netflix). I asked LG about it and still waiting for their reply.
From memory, the UH770 series doesn't support Atmos, either natively or through passthrough.
It was only the 2017 OLEDs that got Atmos, not even the Super UHDs.

Even with the backwards compatibility of the DD+ codec, the chip inside the UH770 doesn't have the capability to decode the Atmos substream inside the DD+ container

Last edited:
From memory, the UH770 series doesn't support Atmos, either natively or through passthrough.
It was only the 2017 OLEDs that got Atmos, not even the Super UHDs.

Even with the backwards compatibility of the DD+ codec, the chip inside the UH770 doesn't have the capability to decode the Atmos substream inside the DD+ container
Indeed, LG Support replied:
"In regards to the HDMI ports on your TV not outputting Dolby Atmos, our Technical Team have confirmed that the HDMI ports do not support Atmos passthrough so you would unable to listen to Atmos on a connected sound system."
:-(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom