LG OLED 48 inch C14LB v C16LA differences?

Celestion44

Established Member
Reaction score
morning all
I’ve searched but can’t find an answer.
An older family member is close to buying the above TV but asked me for help in trying to understand the differences (if there are any) between these 2 models.
Several places in the UK offer the C14LB whilst others offer a C16LA version.
In his recent review, Phil Hinton looked at the C16LA but in the review, it was often abbreviated to just C1.
Any help with this would be much appreciated. Is it anything to do with the panel, could it be retailer or region specific?
Also, if in replying, anyone would like to comment on whether this would be a sensible set choice for my parents who principally watch documentary type programs, game shows and the odd movie, then without going over old ground, I’d be delighted to hear your views.
As a committed plasma TV man, I’m no longer up to date with current TV offerings.
Thanks

Haven't you got the model numbers wrong?

It should be XXC14LB and XXA16LA which is the C Series vs the A Series. The A-Series doesn't have as good a processor and mentions only 60Hz.

I think the model numbers are quite confusing this time round even some websites have got them wrong.

An older family member is close to buying the above TV but asked me for help in trying to understand the differences (if there are any) between these 2 models.
In his recent review, Phil Hinton looked at the C16LA but in the review, it was often abbreviated to just C1.
Any help with this would be much appreciated. Is it anything to do with the panel, could it be retailer or region specific?
As far as I'm aware, any differences between models with subtly different model numbers like that are usually very minor (if there are any at all) and often amount to small cosmetic differences in things like the design or colour of the stand, for example. You'll also probably find that some derivatives are only available from certain retailers and possibly even just the one - this can help retailers avoid having to price-match.

I'm not up on these latest LG models though, so I would compare the specs and photos on LG's website, just to be sure.

Haven't you got the model numbers wrong?

It should be XXC14LB and XXA16LA which is the C Series vs the A Series. The A-Series doesn't have as good a processor and mentions only 60Hz.

I think the model numbers are quite confusing this time round even some websites have got them wrong.
Thanks for the reply.
I may well have mixed up the model numbers but 48C16LA was quoted in Phil Hilton’s review on the 1st Nov.
Also, on the LG.com website they are quoting both 48C16LA and 48C15 (fifteen)LA.
in the UK, three of the main retailers are quoting prices for the 48C14LB.
It’s totally confusing and shouldn’t be anything of the sort.
Currently trying to join chat to LG but not sure how far I’ll get.
Thanks for making the effort to reply - appreciated

going from LG.com website looking at the 55" as they have that listed as both types of C1 you mention OLED55C16LA & OLED55C14LB it appears the difference is VRR/ALLM is missing from the 14LA but it could actually be a mistake on there website based on how they have written it on one product as it has "instant Game response" mentioned on the LB further up the list - its confusing.
other than that there identical spec wise. Maybe its the speakers as there also listed slightly differently.

1636465399510.png

going from LG.com website looking at the 55" as they have that listed as both types of C1 you mention OLED55C16LA & OLED55C14LB it appears the difference is VRR/ALLM is missing from the 14LA but it could actually be a mistake on there website based on how they have written it on one product as it has "instant Game response" mentioned on the LB further up the list - its confusing.
other than that there identical spec wise. Maybe its the speakers as there also listed slightly differently.

View attachment 1599952
Thanks for the reply.
It is truly confusing.
I have just been on the phone to LG support in the UK and despite the excellent efforts of the person I spoke to, he was not able to explain why the different numbers. He is kindly going to to refer it on to technical.
So far, I have found three ‘bricks and mortar’ stores selling the C14LB and one selling the C16LA.

Thanks for the reply.
I may well have mixed up the model numbers but 48C16LA was quoted in Phil Hilton’s review on the 1st Nov.
Also, on the LG.com website they are quoting both 48C16LA and 48C15 (fifteen)LA.
in the UK, three of the main retailers are quoting prices for the 48C14LB.
It’s totally confusing and shouldn’t be anything of the sort.
Currently trying to join chat to LG but not sure how far I’ll get.
Thanks for making the effort to reply - appreciated

Hope you get somewhere with it.

Yes, the model number is on Phil's but they also vary depending on the size on Phil's review I notice :)

When I bought my CX JL had different end numbers to Currys at the time. Sure I read somewhere this was to stop price matching but not convinced.

Also Curry's have both flavours on their website, the 16LA is a particular bargain its 50% off apparently and a free Nest speaker.... :facepalm::beer:

1636466658650.png

But I am with @mikej on this one they occasionally have a slightly different grey or something. Their should not be not be any functional differences assuming they are both the C Series range,.

Hope you get somewhere with it.

Yes, the model number is on Phil's but they also vary depending on the size on Phil's review I notice :)

When I bought my CX JL had different end numbers to Currys at the time. Sure I read somewhere this was to stop price matching but not convinced.

Also Curry's have both flavours on their website, the 16LA is a particular bargain its 50% off apparently and a free Nest speaker.... :facepalm::beer:

View attachment 1599958

But I am with @mikej on this one they occasionally have a slightly different grey or something. Their should not be not be any functional differences assuming they are both the C Series range,.
many thanks for the reply.
Although I strongly suspect there are no significant differences between the models, I would still like to know why the different numbers.
So, I’ve e-mailed ‘head office’ and I’ll see what transpires.
in the meantime I think I’ll just tell my step-father to buy from RS or JL who stock the C14LB.

Other sources I am reading suggest that the C1 is the model as we know - the next number is the region/distribution channel where

1, 2 and 3 are distributed on the Eastern European market (CZ, PL etc.)
4, 5 and 6 for Western / Southern Europe and U.K.
7, 8 and 9 for Central Europe (mainly Germany)

and the letters are the TV tuner\boradcast tech L" is used for DVB-T/-C/-S used in Europe and Russia, "U" for ATSC used in the U.S. / Canada / Mexico etc.

And the A or B are stand colours

(most of this was taken from info on AVS forum)

And just to indicate the difference between the black and white stand (and yes they are different)

1636470194083.png

Other sources I am reading suggest that the C1 is the model as we know - the next number is the region/distribution channel where

1, 2 and 3 are distributed on the Eastern European market (CZ, PL etc.)
4, 5 and 6 for Western / Southern Europe and U.K.
7, 8 and 9 for Central Europe (mainly Germany)

and the letters are the TV tuner\boradcast tech L" is used for DVB-T/-C/-S used in Europe and Russia, "U" for ATSC used in the U.S. / Canada / Mexico etc.

And the A or B are stand colours

(most of this was taken from info on AVS forum)
Great information. Here in Estonia I've seen the C11LB, C12LA and C16LA on sale. Let it be known there is also one key difference with the C16LA as it's the only model in the range to support the WiSA Ready Wireless Speakers. Thats the only other difference I've been able to discover beyond whats already been mentioned. As I'll be looking to add a C11LB/C12LA and SP11RA together, then the loss of WiSA support is relatively insignificant.

99.9% of the time they are the same telly. It usually is stand colour, remote and maybe even the back panel in a different colour.

Often the likes of Currys (sometimes John Lewis too) will have an exclusive deal on the second units to prevent people price matching.

morning all
I’ve searched but can’t find an answer.
Also, if in replying, anyone would like to comment on whether this would be a sensible set choice for my parents who principally watch documentary type programs, game shows and the odd movie, then without going over old ground, I’d be delighted to hear your views.
As a committed plasma TV man, I’m no longer up to date with current TV offerings.
Thanks
I’ve been looking for the same and compared the two models on many retailers website including the LG itself. The only difference that I was able to find is the colour of the stand and the back side of the tv. C16LA has a light silver stand and the back side colour of the tv is creamish white while the C14LB has a dark silver stand with the black rear side.

Attachments

• AFA74AB2-5395-41CB-A377-54CE28A8A42B.jpeg
    AFA74AB2-5395-41CB-A377-54CE28A8A42B.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 347
  • DBB0A39F-A2FA-49A0-91B0-20F2065242AE.jpeg
    DBB0A39F-A2FA-49A0-91B0-20F2065242AE.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 300

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom