LG OLED 2019 C9, E9, W9 HDMI 2.1

Nice article

Nice add-ons on the new line-up but how much 4K 120Hz, 8K 60Hz content will be available this year. Also will have to have your equipment that supports hdmi 2.1 and eARC support

Also will see how much picture quality will improve as thats the most important factor

I think it will have to be a 2020 until i upgrade hopefully by then LG will have some new panels as well and not have stick on anti reflective film over the screen

Can't expect the WOled panels to make much progress now on performance so it is on image processors.
There are also alleged macro blocking and 'chroma overshoot' in the 2018 Oleds not present in Sony or Panasonic models that Vincent Toeh has been single mindedly citing as a persistent issue but no one else seem to raised it.Didn't occur with the C7.
Is LG going to fix that on the 9s?
The Philips P5 and the Sony Extreme imaging chips are still a 4K reference for years to come.
I am still banking on that for 2019.
But I am with LG TV on performance,price and value.
Yeah said that about Woled, it's got its limitations on colour volume and brightness. QD oled will improve things

- oled will improve with qantum dot and substrat plus inkjet reducing cost and increasing quality...

inkjet/ top emission Oleds will reduce cost, improve both brightness and colour gamut but we don't actually know if theres going to be any real PQ benefits (might improve uniformity ? ) same as all theese other techs you mention it's far to early to know yet if any are going to rival Oled for the best tv PQ.

C9 looks better than last year's C8. It seems LG have realized how ugly ;) the C8 design was and now reverted back to 2017 C7 look, for 2019 C9.:clap: It looks cleaner and more minimalist.

I assume you mean the stand? I have mine on the wall and it's a black panel, what more do you need!

I want the 2019 65" C9 :(

Feel gutted now finding out it will have hdmi 2.1 and eArc (Full HD audio passthrough) and most likely all lip sync issues will also be resolved. No way wife will agree to upgrading come black Friday 2019. Any clever suggestions to smash my 65C8 welcome....
Personally I'm not upset with my C8. In 2020 there will be something better again. Enjoy what you have and be patient. In no time you'll be ready to upgrade again and the difference be will be far more significant.

Nice article

Nice add-ons on the new line-up but how much 4K 120Hz, 8K 60Hz content will be available this year. Also will have to have your equipment that supports hdmi 2.1 and eARC support

Also will see how much picture quality will improve as thats the most important factor.
I want to know how long it will be before SKY has it's 1st dedicated 4k channel! Also, perhaps a higher bit rate image in 4k will be just as useful as an 8k image wothbthr same bit rate.

inkjet/ top emission Oleds will reduce cost, improve both brightness and colour gamut but we don't actually know if theres going to be any real PQ benefits (might improve uniformity ? ) same as all theese other techs you mention it's far to early to know yet if any are going to rival Oled for the best tv PQ.
Fair point my friend. I don’t want to derail this thread once more (fallen for it with cell once is enough)
Picture should improve in principles. Samsung could show a prototype at ces next week...
Nobody can say for sure..I don’t worry anymore about what may come. I was just stating that oled CAN still improve and they are working on it

I want to know how long it will be before SKY has it's 1st dedicated 4k channel! Also, perhaps a higher bit rate image in 4k will be just as useful as an 8k image wothbthr same bit rate.
Need a dedicated HDR channel but nor likely. 4k could be old news in couple years

Last edited:
Yeah said that about Woled, it's got its limitations on colour volume and brightness. QD oled will improve things

'WOLED' - is that actually a thing? I've seen it occasionally on the AVSforums & always assumed it was just a pretentious way of saying 'OLED'...

'WOLED' - is that actually a thing? I've seen it occasionally on the AVSforums & always assumed it was just a pretentious way of saying 'OLED'...
It's using a white sub pixel . It's not a true rgb display. You lose colour information. I'm sure lg is working on some sort of quantum dot filter.

Last edited:

Remember when they announce it to add +1 year, NowTv was meant to go 1080P end of last year, yes 1080P, that old chestnut, hasn’t happened yet :)

Anyone who has bought an Oled, especially a ‘18 model really doesn’t need to feel disappointed.
Realistically it’s a year away until most of us could afford a ‘19 model and while the improvements are noteworthy, unless you have one sitting beside your recent purchase, you will never know ;)
The 2020 models will be better again, maybe a new WebOs altogether, maybe hdmi2.1 issues ironed out, 12 bit panels.. who knows...
So enjoy your beautiful tv, my ‘17 oled still puts a smile on my face every night.

Remember when they announce it to add +1 year, NowTv was meant to go 1080P end of last year, yes 1080P, that old chestnut, hasn’t happened yet :)

Anyone who has bought an Oled, especially a ‘18 model really doesn’t need to feel disappointed.
Realistically it’s a year away until most of us could afford a ‘19 model and while the improvements are noteworthy, unless you have one sitting beside your recent purchase, you will never know ;)
The 2020 models will be better again, maybe a new WebOs altogether, maybe hdmi2.1 issues ironed out, 12 bit panels.. who knows...
So enjoy your beautiful tv, my ‘17 oled still puts a smile on my face every night.

Exactly my point, what's the point in paying all that extra money for a TV with minimum upgrades?

After a year or so your TV is out of date anyway so better to upgrade when your current set is on the way out or if there's a substantial upgrade or a new tech is introduced.

Not many on-topic posts - early days as little real info out yet I suppose. At least the serial non-buyers - the ones who never suffer buyers remorse will be happy - another year to post about just how close they are to buying...

From a few weeks with a C8 a couple of things would be useful, 10/12 bit from PC at 4K/60 and eARC Sadly both these things need both a new amp and video card. Assuming Denon release 2.1 in 2019 it also takes a year for amps to drop to affordable price points and this year's Nvidia weren't cheap and didn't support 2.1 either

With a 1080Ti I've actually found 1080/60 gaming to work best, 10/12 bit with all settings enabled, rather than straining the GPU just to achieve the kudos of 4K/60 - the visual difference barely noticeable

...and the need for 8K seems pretty remote at this stage...

Exactly my point, what's the point in paying all that extra money for a TV with minimum upgrades?

After a year or so your TV is out of date anyway so better to upgrade when your current set is on the way out or if there's a substantial upgrade or a new tech is introduced.
I agree, but new tech is exciting and some of us like to upgrade often.
I had no plans to upgrade until end of 2020, but this announcement has caught my attention. Will have to see how the rest of the chain (receivers/consoles/Blu players) pans out...will need to start saving too!

What the point of 8k TV's when they already have problems were most 4k movies are just 2k upscaled to 4k :confused:

Wonder if there going to start selling Blu-ray movies upscaled from 2k to 8k for about £40 each :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I can’t see micro LED coming for a few years so 2019 will probably see me upgrade. I need a bigger TV, well need might be a strong word, but let’s go with that!:laugh:

I can’t see micro LED coming for a few years so 2019 will probably see me upgrade. I need a bigger TV, well need might be a strong word, but let’s go with that!:laugh:
OK I Wait for your review of the LG 8K 88" Z9 OLED :D

I hope the 77c9 has the same pixel structure as the 55 and 65 c8 as the 77c8 was still using the same pixel structure as in 2017.
If so I'm in for the 77c9.

Where is this info? Was thinking of going for a 77 C8 o_O

OK I Wait for your review of the LG 8K 88" Z9 OLED :D

Hmm, sounds good! Though even I might be pushed to find a wall for that size!!!:cool:

Time for another airing of my famous photograph (I've not shown it on these forums for at least four months!) from 2014 showing two Samsung televisions from the same range, one being 65" and the other being 75". So a 77" will be slightly bigger again than the 75". There is a difference in size in going from a 65" to a 75" (and more again in going from 65" to 77", but be warned, the difference is not huge. Indeed, one fairly regular visitor to my flat, when I first had the 65" Panasonic in the front bedroom and the 75" Sony in the (admittedly larger) parlour, which is the room adjacent to the front bedroom, walked back and forth between the two rooms for about two minutes and he found it hard to say which television was bigger! Even after I told him! I will say one thing though - put the 77", whether the new C9 or the outgoing (and presumably much cheaper) C8, in exactly the same place as you currently have the 65E6. Make sure that you keep the same viewing distance to the 77" set as to the existing 65" set, or you'll lose the benefit of the larger size.
View attachment 1103506

That is a misleading picture though as the 75 is closer to the camera as you can see by the text at the top of the picture. Anyway 75 does still look bigger than 65 in real life though, they do look impressive.

Where is this info? Was thinking of going for a 77 C8 o_O
It was on the HDTV Test video review of the 77c8.
On the 77 inch it is clear to see it is the 2017 pixel structure compared to the 55 or 65 inch.
I am hoping the C9 has the newest pixel structure.

I waited 10 years to upgrade my Pioneer plasma to OLED! Though a big reason for doing so was that I did go from 50” to 65”. I still have the 50” in the lounge. My parents only replaced their tv when it stopped working. I guess people have become so brainwashed that they feel Dissatisfied with what they have as soon as something better comes out rather than enjoying what they have. I wouldn’t have changed my tv had I not gone for a larger size. That and I had the excuse that the tv in the lounge was a crappy 40” LCD and the plasma would replace it.

I paid £2,300 for my C8 late July, although I could/should have waited for the Black Friday sales as I would have saved £300. My father always said you were better off buying last year’s model if you wanted value for money especially seeing as most improvements are merely evolutionary and if you intend to keep it for 10 years or so, for 9 of those 10 it will be ‘out of date’.

I have wasted money upgrading tech in the past. I bought a dvd recorder only to replace it with one with an HDD, then replaced that with a Pioneer with a larger HDD drive. Then streaming came along and it was mostly a waste of time and money! I have a bundle of dvds I probably spent more time recording than I ever will watching! :facepalm:

Disappointing that it still has 2018 OLED panels, only anti-reflective coating being the difference. HDMI 2.1 if it is the full fat feature, then that's the major upgrade but there's hardly anything out there to take the advantage. Wonder if OLED has reached its peak?
Well at least no one else is going to have a better OLED panel either.

Having a perfectly fine 2016 OLED it is hard to justify any upgrade. For me the main motivator would be if I needed an extra screen, or if my one broke.

From the picture of the models, I do think this years models look nice. The wall paper one especially.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom