LG NAS Advice Please

Murielson

Standard Member
Looking at trying to get a home network together and noticed this NAS on offer from ebuyer. Could anyone please advise if this is a good NAS or not? (not really up to speed with these)

LG 1TB (2x 500GB) NAS Drive w/ DVD Burner - EXCLUSIVE.. | Ebuyer.com

Really just want to use a media player for streaming data (files, photos, music and video etc) and wanted to use a NAS as the storage area. Are there any functions/capability missing from this item that could be seen as essential or is it suitable for my basic needs? Realise it is only 1TB but thinking I could upgrade this later if and when required.

Thanks in advance.

Murielson

Standard Member
Some product details:

N2R1DB2 - LG 1TB (2x 500GB) NAS Drive w/ DVD Burner

Overview

Limited time price drop to this great price!! Includes 2x 500GB drives & a built-in DVD-RW!

The LG 1TB NAS Drive w/ DVD Burner is the first ever Network Attached Storage (NAS) device with a built in DVD burner. This DVD burning functionality provides an additional data backup option. Store up to 8.5 GB of data on a single dual layer DVD.

As a scalable storage solution this hard drive is ideal for small business owners to effectively store and manage large quantities of data including videos and images to name a few. As this hard drive is compatible with Windows 7 there are no compatibility issues and with the benefits of access to all your data via the Internet along with 2 years warranty it is easy to see why this hard drive is a popular choice.

cedge

I've ordered one as it looks fairly easy to set up and does pretty much want I want it do to i.e. stream to my DLNA server wirelessly, ability to access my files anywhere and provide some much needed redundancy via RAID 1 for our home network. It might not have as many features as other products such as the Qnap/Netgear range or be as fast but hopefully for someone like me with good compared to most but still limited computer/network knowledge it will offer as much as I need and be easier to utilise.

If you read the product reviews on the Ebuyer site, it mentions the model number is LG N2R1. From this you can google and come up with some reviews for the product range, for example Smallnetbuilder has a review of the unit despite it featuring the 2TB model with a Blu Ray writer, the core functionality will be identical to this model.

LG N2B1 / LG N2R1 Smallnetbuilder Review

My only concern at the moment for when it arrives, hopefully at the end of the week is knowing what firmware on LG's site is the latest as there is no date reference as to when each of the firmware listed was released.

Also, I would quite like to set up incremental backups from my computer to the NAS and from the NAS to an external HDD but I'm concerned that the bundled software might not be suitable (Cosmos).

If anyone has this unit, I would also be interested in any useful insights you can offer.

Last edited:

cedge

Further to this, its encouraging to see that LG have now provided a more detailed and upto date knowledge base which lists the latest firmware, specifications, etc and interestingly better support for viewing the NAS content from your iphone:

LG N2R1 Knowledge Base

Murielson

Standard Member
cedge - any thoughts on this when you get it up and running would be appreciated. Deal still available at the moment so still tempted.

cedge

Its up and running now. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to NAS's and its going to take a while for me to utilize all its functions but in terms of setting it up, it was a piece of cake, can see it on the network, access it from another computer in the network as well as on my ipod touch over the network. I still need to crack DLNA on my Sony blu ray player and some of the other functions, but so far I'm pretty impressed. It was initially quite loud, but after I installed the latest firmware which again was easy enough once I realised I had to unzip the file first :laugh:, when its not being used its silent and thats even before it goes into standby/hibernate mode. Any specific questions?

siwatkins

I've ordered one as it looks fairly easy to set up and does pretty much want I want it do to i.e. stream to my DLNA server wirelessly, ability to access my files anywhere and provide some much needed redundancy via RAID 1 for our home network. It might not have as many features as other products such as the Qnap/Netgear range or be as fast but hopefully for someone like me with good compared to most but still limited computer/network knowledge it will offer as much as I need and be easier to utilise.

If you read the product reviews on the Ebuyer site, it mentions the model number is LG N2R1. From this you can google and come up with some reviews for the product range, for example Smallnetbuilder has a review of the unit despite it featuring the 2TB model with a Blu Ray writer, the core functionality will be identical to this model.

LG N2B1 / LG N2R1 Smallnetbuilder Review

My only concern at the moment for when it arrives, hopefully at the end of the week is knowing what firmware on LG's site is the latest as there is no date reference as to when each of the firmware listed was released.

Also, I would quite like to set up incremental backups from my computer to the NAS and from the NAS to an external HDD but I'm concerned that the bundled software might not be suitable (Cosmos).

If anyone has this unit, I would also be interested in any useful insights you can offer.

I have this NAS - I like it, performs reasonably well on a Gb network, and seems trouble free with the latest firmware (2557 is the current latest). The bundled software is odd - I'm sticking with GoodSync: File Synchronization Software, File Backup, File Sync which is my favourite solution.

I've discovered that the firmware is disc based. So if you reinitialise the drives, you will have to re-upgrade the firmware. Not a real problem in day to day use, but annoying when you are messing around with it. There is a hacked firmware available that includes some additional features, but I've not installed it yet. The only slighly annoying issue, is that the iTunes server appears to require you to put the music in a specific place, rather than point the iTunes server to where you have the music located. Seems illogical to me when you might want to put the music on a RAID segment rather than in the Service folder. Firmware seems to be reasonably regularly updated - the 2557 is fairly recent.

One thing to note - I bought it with a couple of perceptions - that the DVDRW built in would be useful. I've not used it yet! and that I could back the NAS up to my USB drives. It's the other way around - when you plug USB devices or Memory cards into it, it will automatically back them up to a specified location on the NAS. That's actually quite a useful feature really I guess, but not quite how I imagined it working.

It also has a built-in print server which is useful for me - the idea of sharing storage and printers is great.

Hope that helps,

Simon

cedge

I take it once you have transferred over a lot of files, the hard drive activity I can hear at the moment is the mirroring to the 2nd drive as I've set it up in RAID 1 configuration?

I did a system restart and it seems to have settled back down....or not, any ideas? It settled down after a couple of hours and went into hibernation as I had set it to do after 10pm :)

Last edited:

stoplis

I have also ordered one of these, along with a 2TB western digital hard drive (I may add another next month or later). I am getting it to upgrade over my current 2TB Western Digital My Book World, which whilst simple and easy, it doesn't have brilliant performance.
To anyone who has this, what sort of speeds do you get from this? e.g. How long does it take to upload a 4-5gb file?
I am planning on using it for storing my movies (HD, mostly 720p) for streaming to my MacBook Pro and my Apple TV (both N Wireless). My current setup can be slow and sometimes struggle with higher bit-rate encodes. If I am uploading a file it becomes completely unusable.
Will the LG be any better?

johbee

Novice Member
I have also ordered one of these, along with a 2TB western digital hard drive (I may add another next month or later). ....

I am also considering this NAS, where did you find the list of compatible 2 TB hard drives? I can only find two drives listed as being compatible : Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 and the Western Digital : WD WD20EADS-00S2B0.

i am a fan of the green WD drives and the eco samsungs.
i'm not sure what the last 6 digits on the " WD20EADS-00S2B0" means?

stoplis

I am also considering this NAS, where did you find the list of compatible 2 TB hard drives? I can only find two drives listed as being compatible : Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 and the Western Digital : WD WD20EADS-00S2B0.

i am a fan of the green WD drives and the eco samsungs.
i'm not sure what the last 6 digits on the " WD20EADS-00S2B0" means?

To be honest, I just ordered the 2TB Western Digital Green drive 'WD20EARS', I'm just hoping that it is ok and will work.

cedge

I'm in 2 minds at the moment as to whether to keep it or try and send it back:

I have set it up so it is accessible wirelessly from other computers in the network to enter the menu and/or to view the folders directly with everything I want at the moment backed up, however I cannot get the DLNA functionality to work as no matter what folder I make DLNA enabled on the NAS neither my Xbox or my Sony BDP-S570 blu ray player (wifi) can see the files and this was one of the big reasons for buying the machine in the first place i.e. to stream music and photos to these devices. Has anyone had much luck?

I am tempted to try this custom firmware and Twonky but I have no idea about Twonky having never used it before. Has anyone attempted this yet or had much more success in seeing content on the NAS from other DLNA devices besides your PC/Netbook?

cedge

Progress: I've installed the Custom Firmware and now the Sony BDP-S570 Blu Ray Player sees the NAS, just need to figure our where the files need to be located now.... as changing the source on the Web Menu doesn't seem to matter.

Update: Sorted it out, the browser was blocking a pop up which allowed the TwonkyMedia Server to open and then settings tweaked inside that.

Excellent stuff, definitely keeping it now :smashin:

Last edited:

cedge

I have nothing to compare it against so cant really comment on performance.

It does appear to be a bit sluggish compared to my PC but I expected that and it is sending information over wi-fi from the NAS.

I'm using the NAS for photos, music, videos and backup information.

johbee

Novice Member
Thank you everyone for the info, i have ordered this along with the 2TB WD drive.
i will post how i get on with it.

What custom firmware are you using?

i was just after a 2 or more drive NAS, that i could access over LAN or internet, i was on the verge of building one, but the LG one will be cheaper and neater.

cedge

I'm using the firmware from lg.threnor.de - Custom Firmwares for LG-NAS N2R1/N2B1 and N1T1: News

His username is 'Tantalus' on this forum (Google Chrome translated it for me) where he regular posts and people provide feedback, etc.

He's just released another version where Twonky 6 is supported. I'm going to hold off on that release for a while though as it's still a trial version as opposed to a full release. The version I'm using at the moment just has Twonky 4, but works well for me considering its the first time I've used such software.

cedge

Thank you everyone for the info, i have ordered this along with the 2TB WD drive.
i will post how i get on with it.

What custom firmware are you using?

i was just after a 2 or more drive NAS, that i could access over LAN or internet, i was on the verge of building one, but the LG one will be cheaper and neater.

Have you received/set up your NAS yet? Mines be nearly running a week now and its doing fine. In a way though I could do with keeping it in hibernation all the time though as it only takes a few seconds to start up if I need to access any of the files. What is the best way of doing this?

johbee

Novice Member
Have you received/set up your NAS yet? Mines be nearly running a week now and its doing fine. In a way though I could do with keeping it in hibernation all the time though as it only takes a few seconds to start up if I need to access any of the files. What is the best way of doing this?

I am still awaiting delivery.
from reading the reviews, it apparently has a setting you can schedule it to be on/off.

one review mentioned Wake on LAN (WOL), in the specification list. If it has this, then this would probably be most useful to you.

cedge

It is possible to start it up when in hibernation, comes up with an option to enter admin password to 'wakeup', not sure whether this works though Twonky as well though on the custom firmware.

yipyipboo

I have a N2R1 and have just updated the firmware to 2557. I see on the LG site it says 'Added Apple iOS interface (for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch)', any idea what this means and how i go about making use of it?

I can remote access my Nas using DDNS but can see anything anywhere for iphones????

:/

cedge

Yes, you just enter the IP address of the NAS into your iphone's browser, then it access it using wi-fi. I haven't tried it to access the files away from home yet.

siwatkins

Just enter your DDNS name into the browser of your iphone, and the web interface is appropriate for iphone and you can access your files. You wouldn't enter your ip address into your iphone browser if you are using NAT/DHCP on your home network.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom