Question LG NANO866 using a BGR panel structure different from US version NANO85?

andrewteds

Novice Member
Hi everyone,
I just bought this tv and I was wondering about some odd things I discovered about this panel.
I was calibrating it with HCFR and I discovered that it has a BGR panel which looks similar to the NANO906 reviewed on RTINGS.
Their review of the US panel on RTINGS for the NANO85 (which should be the US Version of this panel) has a different pixel structure, using something that looks like the AHIPS.
The NANO866 sold in Europe apparently has a different panel, which looks very similar to the panel of the NANO906... in fact most of the results I found calibrating my set pretty much alings to the results on the review that has been done here on Avforums for the Nano906, except for the contrast ratio which should be higher on the 906 due to the fact that it uses a proper local dimming feature. See attached pictures of the subpixel structure of the NANO866, maybe somebody more familiar with these things can let me know what kind of panel it really is.

Some info about this panel for people that are interested in:

Contrast Ratio is around 1000-1100 without local dimming
Local Dimming being Edge Lit is very poor implemented so the only real solution is to turn it off.
Dolby Vision is OK but of course nowhere near a full HDR experience from more expensive sets.
Most Accurate profiles are Filmmaker Mode and ISF Dark Room with Average Deviance at around 3.7 - 4.2 total
Filmmaker Mode is apparently the most stable also on motion handle formats with 24fps, keeping TruMotion off by default.
Upscaling is very good to my eye and I cant see any odd behaviour.
I can also confirm that the TV works at 4k - 120Hz on HDMI attached to my RTX 3080
Sound is a bit "boxy" but volume is surpisingly good, I have to keep mine at around 10 -15 tops, so a plus is that it can get loud.
Where this tv shines is on gaming as it has next gen HDMI 2.1, Variable refresh rate (Freesync) and Low Latency Mode.
Black Uniformity and light bleed is very low in my unit, this varies from unit to unit, but in my case I can see very little light bleed on the left bottom corner but I cant' really see when watching the tv without letterboxes.

Overall I am very impressed by the tv set for the price, the ony downside I can find is that having a lower contrast ratio than the US Version makes this set a bit darker and you have to be a bit "smart" about that.
I am using it in a normal living room with some ambient light and for me it works ok, It also handles very well reflections in a bright room. I would have liked this tv to be a bit brighter in some occasions tho, especially on HDR content which tends to get darker and you have to compensate, but if you keep these things in my mind and setup your tv room accordingly you will be very happy.

Attachments

• 20201114_162655.jpg
    20201114_162655.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 96

andrgin

Novice Member
LG seems to be using 2 different types of panels.
My Nano90 has the same layout as shown in the rtings Nano85 review.

The rectangular version (I suppose it is an ADS panel) has subpixel dimming issues in some (maybe all) cases, so I guess you can be lucky.

nenito2k

interesting findings @andrewteds
basically like ALWAYS the USA get a better nano8 series ? and like ALWAYS it is much cheaper there !
1600 contrast for nano85 is good...so if the nano866 is 1000 that us almost 60% less contrast !

like always if you guys want to know details about panels of your TV's go to DisplaySpecifications - Specifications and features of desktop monitors and TVs !!!!

there we can see the nano86 has 8bits+FRC panel; the nano 86 has 10 bit
the info regarding brightness and contrast for nano86 is missing...so it is clearly evident that the nano85 is better....

Last edited:

andrgin

Novice Member
This turned out to not be depending on the model, but changing from batch to batch see this thread here:

LG is not only using their own IPS panels, but also ADS panels from Heesung.
The main differences are:
.) ADS panels have RGB subpixel layouts, while IPS has BGR (if you have BGR with a PC you change ClearType to BGR to get sharper text)
.) ADS panels have troubles with subpixel dimming when 2 subpixels are active. This is not visible from far away, but from 1 meter or closer you will see the mosquito net effect. This is not dithering caused by an 8 bit panel. With the color orange (255 red, 128 green, 0 blue) you can correct this effect to applying an offset to green of +64 or -48 every other row, so yet the color difference of each pixel pretty high.
.) But ADS panels have better contrast

But I have to admit even if you are sitting close you get used to the subpixel dimming, but I would still prefer the original IPS panel from LG.

joshieecs

Novice Member
I have a US 49NANO85 from Amazon, ordered Nov 29 shipped Dec 7th, a short backorder. Assembly date 11/2020, so it was hot off the line. It has BGR pixels. I broke out the pocket microscope to get a closer look. And here is the back label. Not sure anything on here helps identify the panel. Maybe the BUSWLJM number?

I was a little frustrated to have gotten a BGR panel. The purported RBG pixel order (from Rtings) was one reason why I preferred this model. I am coming from an embarrassingly old 1080p TV with BGR, and text was always a problem. You can change the ClearType to BGR, but any software based on Chromium ignores the system setting and uses RGB. Chrome, edge, vscode, any electron app. And recorded text like screenshots or text in youtube videos has the iridescent outlines of wrong-order ClearType.

But maybe I am lucky to avoid the mosquito effect. I do sit closer than 1 meter. And I will admit the ClearType shimmer from wrong-order subpixels is significantly less at 4K than at 1080. But the panel doesn't seem terribly bright. I have not been able to get any spot brighter than 375 nits no matter what settings I turn on, far less than Rtings. And that's really blowing it out in Vivid, it looks awful. 325 is where it gets somewhat reasonable settings. I guess all right for mainly a computer display and gaming.

My only real complaint is Instant Game Response blacking the screen anytime you alt+tab from a game. Any it activates strangely. It kicked in once from dragging an outline from the "Search with Screenshot" feature of the Start menu search. I guess the translucent effect is 3D accelerated, and it goes into FreeSync. But I am still on ya 5700XT, not HDMI 2.1 yet... maybe that would help. Hopefully cards will be in stock soon!

Attachments

• 20201210_175216.jpg
    20201210_175216.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20201210_194058.jpg
    20201210_194058.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 50
  • 20201209_164050.jpg
    20201209_164050.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 70

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom