LG NANO - What am I doing wrong?

Al Geordie

Novice Member
Please help, my head is about to explode.
I have a NANO816NA TV. I have that connected to my yamaha AVR via the HDMI ARC port. I have a virgin cable box connected to the AVR. Everything seems to work fine whilst watching anything on the virgin box. The audio on the TV is set to HDMI ARC and I control the volume through the AVR. Simplink is turned on.
The problem comes when trying to watch the Netflix or Disney app on the TV. I get the video but the audio is still what was on the virgin box. If I turn the virgin box off I get no audio. I've tried connecting an optical lead but that doesn't help. What am I doing wrong?

sagaris99

Please help, my head is about to explode.
I have a NANO816NA TV. I have that connected to my yamaha AVR via the HDMI ARC port. I have a virgin cable box connected to the AVR. Everything seems to work fine whilst watching anything on the virgin box. The audio on the TV is set to HDMI ARC and I control the volume through the AVR. Simplink is turned on.
The problem comes when trying to watch the Netflix or Disney app on the TV. I get the video but the audio is still what was on the virgin box. If I turn the virgin box off I get no audio. I've tried connecting an optical lead but that doesn't help. What am I doing wrong?
Change the sound input on the yamaha to TV audio, instead of the input from the Virgin box

Al Geordie

Novice Member
Outputs or inputs? You need the yamaha to recognise sound coming *in*
Sorry, that should have said Inputs. This is where I think I'm getting confused. The only input into the Yamaha is the virgin box but I'm trying to watch the Netflix app installed on the TV which would be a different input, which it's not.

sagaris99

Sorry, that should have said Inputs. This is where I think I'm getting confused. The only input into the Yamaha is the virgin box but I'm trying to watch the Netflix app installed on the TV which would be a different input, which it's not.
So the TV connected over HDMI will be an input, exactly the same as the Virgin box. ARC simply means that data can travel both ways through the cable.

As far as the amp is concerned, when using your Virgin box - the Virgin box is the input, and the Yamaha is outputting picture (passthrough)to the TV.
When watching Netflix through the TV, you're trying to send sound back down the cable into the Yamaha.
As long as the HDMI is connected at both ends to the HDMI ARC port, this is possible. Assuming the HDMI cable is connected to HDMI ARC on the Yamaha, you should be able to change the inputs on the amp to take the sound from the TV and play it through the speaker system.

Hopefully this makes sense?

John

Do you have any other sources connected other than the virgin box ?
I only ask as it took me 2 years to realise the BT TV box I rarely used was causing me exactly the same issue. Changing it from 'proper off' to 'quick start off' cured my issue

Al Geordie

Novice Member
So the TV connected over HDMI will be an input, exactly the same as the Virgin box. ARC simply means that data can travel both ways through the cable.

As far as the amp is concerned, when using your Virgin box - the Virgin box is the input, and the Yamaha is outputting picture (passthrough)to the TV.
When watching Netflix through the TV, you're trying to send sound back down the cable into the Yamaha.
As long as the HDMI is connected at both ends to the HDMI ARC port, this is possible. Assuming the HDMI cable is connected to HDMI ARC on the Yamaha, you should be able to change the inputs on the amp to take the sound from the TV and play it through the speaker system.

Hopefully this makes sense?
That makes perfect sense, that's loosely how I understood it to work.
I have a cable from HDMI 2 ARC on the TV connected to HDMI OUT ARC on the Yamaha. I have the Virgin connected to HDMI 3 on the Yamaha.
I understand that I need to change the input on the Yamaha because it says TiVo on the front display, but what input should i select if the only connection to the TV is through the HDMI out port?
I've been through all of the input options on the Yamaha and there's no audio coming through at all. Am I missing a connection somewhere?

Al Geordie

Novice Member
Do you have any other sources connected other than the virgin box ?
I only ask as it took me 2 years to realise the BT TV box I rarely used was causing me exactly the same issue. Changing it from 'proper off' to 'quick start off' cured my issue
The Virgin box is the only thing connected to the Yamaha. Proper off and quick off don't change anything for me, I still just get video with no audio from the Yamaha.

sagaris99

I have a cable from HDMI 2 ARC on the TV connected to HDMI OUT ARC on the Yamaha. I have the Virgin connected to HDMI 3 on the Yamaha.
I understand that I need to change the input on the Yamaha because it says TiVo on the front display, but what input should i select if the only connection to the TV is through the HDMI out port?
I've been through all of the input options on the Yamaha and there's no audio coming through at all. Am I missing a connection somewhere?
If you cycle through the input options on the Yamaha, what are the options? Are there input buttons on the remote to directly choose them

See if you can upload a picture of the remote

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
Have you switched on ARC and HDMI control on the Yamaha? It should say the input is TV or broadcast.

shagaboopon

Why not just run the AVR as a sound device through ARC for everything and put your devices straight into the TV? No messing with inputs on the AVR at all then.

Al Geordie

Novice Member
If you cycle through the input options on the Yamaha, what are the options? Are there input buttons on the remote to directly choose them

See if you can upload a picture of the remote
Inputs - HDMI 1-6. Audio 1&2. AV1-4. Tuner. Bluetooth. USB. AUX.
Yes, input button on remote, I've been into Yamaha settings and they are all on auto.

mikej

This is hopefully just a configuration issue. It sounds like you've made the physical HDMI connection correctly - are you sure you've got HDMI-CEC turned on, on both the TV and AVR ? Make sure you remove the optical (Toslink) connection as that will just complicate matters.

While you are in the AVR's HDMI-CEC menu, check for any options for mapping the ARC audio to one of the inputs. I think I have AV4 configured for TV audio via ARC, but that's probably something I had to configure in the menus rather than any kind of default. What model AVR do you have ? I'll check how my Yamaha AVR is configured for you when I get home, later.

mikej

Why not just run the AVR as a sound device through ARC for everything and put your devices straight into the TV? No messing with inputs on the AVR at all then.
That doesn't solve the problem though - if he does that as things stand currently, then he then won't get any sound from his Virgin box as he can't get ARC to work.

Doing that would also remove one of the big benefits of having an AVR - minimising cables to the TV for a neater installation.

With any luck, it's just a case of configuring everything correctly.

Al Geordie

Novice Member
This is hopefully just a configuration issue. It sounds like you've made the physical HDMI connection correctly - are you sure you've got HDMI-CEC turned on, on both the TV and AVR ? Make sure you remove the optical (Toslink) connection as that will just complicate matters.

While you are in the AVR's HDMI-CEC menu, check for any options for mapping the ARC audio to one of the inputs. I think I have AV4 configured for TV audio via ARC, but that's probably something I had to configure in the menus rather than any kind of default. What model AVR do you have ? I'll check how my Yamaha AVR is configured for you when I get home, later.

Cool, thanks. HDMI-CEC is turned on, on both TV and AVR and I have taken the optical cable out. In the AVR's HDMI menu AV4 is configured for TV audio but no audio comes through AV4 when watching the Netflix app. The AVR is a Yamaha RX V477.

mikej

Have you also made sure you've set the TV to Home Cinema mode (or LG's equivalent) in the TV's sound menu ?

I would try disconnecting all the other HDMI connections apart from the ARC connection, then turn everything off at the wall. Try and get ARC working, before reintroducing the other connections one by one.

These forums are full of people who have similar ARC issues with different combinations of TV and AVR. I'm lucky in that I've never had an issue I think !

Al Geordie

Novice Member
Have you also made sure you've set the TV to Home Cinema mode (or LG's equivalent) in the TV's sound menu ?

I would try disconnecting all the other HDMI connections apart from the ARC connection, then turn everything off at the wall. Try and get ARC working, before reintroducing the other connections one by one.

These forums are full of people who have similar ARC issues with different combinations of TV and AVR. I'm lucky in that I've never had an issue I think !
The TV's sound mode is set to HDMI ARC which as you know mutes the internal speakers.
Just to reiterate, ARC does seem to work fine whilst I'm watching something through the virgin box.
5.1 sound comes through the AVR speakers. The loss of AVR/ARC audio only happens when I watch the Netflix/Disney apps built into the TV. Even on AV4 input.

mikej

The TV's sound mode is set to HDMI ARC which as you know mutes the internal speakers.
On Panasonic TVs, you have to both turn HDMI-CEC control on and change speakers to 'Home Cinema' in the TV's sound menu. I don't know about LGs though.

Just to reiterate, ARC does seem to work fine whilst I'm watching something through the virgin box.
5.1 sound comes through the AVR speakers. The loss of AVR/ARC audio only happens when I watch the Netflix/Disney apps built into the TV. Even on AV4 input.
You're getting sound because you've got the Virgin box connected directly to the AVR via a normal HDMI connection - it's not using ARC.

Unless I'm missing something - from everything you've said above, it sounds like you haven't yet got ARC to work.

Al Geordie

Novice Member
Nope, it's me who is missing something. I'm such a tit. ARC isn't working at all is it. I've just assumed it is because I can hear the virgin box. I can't even honestly say the HDMI leads I'm using even support ARC they might be that old.
Thanks for your help mike. 👍

shagaboopon

That doesn't solve the problem though - if he does that as things stand currently, then he then won't get any sound from his Virgin box as he can't get ARC to work.

Doing that would also remove one of the big benefits of having an AVR - minimising cables to the TV for a neater installation.

With any luck, it's just a case of configuring everything correctly.
Which is why I suggested he concentrate on a simple setup as he needs to get ARC working. Cant see any benefit in direct connecting his Virgin box and faffing about.

mikej

Nope, it's me who is missing something. I'm such a tit. ARC isn't working at all is it. I've just assumed it is because I can hear the virgin box. I can't even honestly say the HDMI leads I'm using even support ARC they might be that old.
Thanks for your help mike. 👍
No worries. Not sure if HDMI cables can cause issues, but I doubt it as some of my cables date back to 2012, which is when I first starting using ARC.

Your Yamaha AVR is of a similar age to mine, so here are the settings that work for me. I have the AV4 input labelled as 'TV' and ARC works on my Panasonic OLED with these settings :

On Screen menu - Setup - HDMI

HDMI Control - On (select this to get to the next 3 options)
TV Audio Input - AV4
ARC - On
Standby Sync - Auto

Audio Output
Amp - Control Sync (greyed out)
HDMI OUT1 - Control Sync (greyed out)
HDMI OUT2 - Off

mikej

I think I have AV4 configured for TV audio via ARC, but that's probably something I had to configure in the menus rather than any kind of default. What model AVR do you have ?
That's lifted from one of my replies above. Why have you reposted my question as your own ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett