1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG MZ42PZ10 42" Plasma - Any horror stories?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jackuzi, Jul 24, 2002.

1. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Well it's been about 5 days without a decent sized picture (29" Sony's getting buried next week!!). So I'm weighing up the options...

Hearing mixed views on Rear Projection, can't get my head around Wide screen any less that 36" (even then looks small to me!!), so I have been excited by the near affordabilty of the LG MZ42PZ10 42" Plasma piece of art!!

What I would like to know, before I sell a kidney on the black market, is what is this screen like? I've seen it for £2999 which once we're back off honeymoon (getting married on the 3rd August) ;o) I was thinking of trying to get one off these home before the divorce!!

If this is not worth the money is there anything of the same price?

Thanks peeps,

Glen

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The model you are interested in is on display in a Local Currys superstore, and must say it looks far better than any R/p set I have seen,

maybe not the absolute cutting edge in Plasma terms, but to my eyes, preferable to R/P

I think if you are prepared to spend 3 grand on the LG, how about adding another £600 to it, and get the 42" Tosh that is much talked about on this Forum, and you will have to go a long way, to find a better picture for that price bracket.

3. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply,

I see what you mean about the Tosh, much better spec it would seem.

I have a further question... What is the predicted life of a Plasma TV? I had my £700 29" Sony for 9 years without a murmer so at £3,500 I would expect at least the same.

Do they suffer from screen burn any more than a conventional TV?

Are there any dodgy velcro handed scousers out there that can get me one for 50 quid? :D (only joking before someone gets offended)

4. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    From what I've seen the 'cheaper' plasmas are all the same/similar glass to the Orion 42" plasma that I used to have ... don't touch with a barge pole ...

They are generally late 1st or early 2nd generation screens with very poor contrast levels ... fine when they are demoing 'Bugs Life' but crap when looking at 'Matrix' ... they will often not be capable of taking a progressive scan picture and will have a limited number of inputs/resolution ...

Do yourself a big favour and save an extra 750 quid and get the panasonic or toshiba 42 ... the picture is excellent, loads of options including future upgrades eg DVI input boards ... you really wont regret it ... even more important is your 'significant other' will think that the picture looks crap on a cheap screen (compared to the tv) but will think the picture looks great on one that is not much more expensive ... trust me I've been there !! ;-)

J

5. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The LG screen was reviewed in the May edition of What Video & TV. Picture gets 3.5 and the same overall. The Panasonic (of which the Tosh is a derivative of) gets 5.0 for both picture and overall, and also receiving a Best Buy.

Quoting:
    "Marginally bringing up the rear in performance terms is the LG"

"This screen's [the Panasonic] constrat performance is amaazing, delivering an image tone to rival CRT. Its pictures look rich, multidimensional and cinematic, and simply blow every other plasma away"

You should be able to get more information at http://www.whatvideotv.com/

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Glen

Domestic bliss - Brookside Omnibus on a 42" Panasonic plasma display.

Expected life of Panasonic /Toshiba panel is that they will be half as bright as on day one after around 30,000 hours of constant use; that's a lot of couch potato time.

Burn in is an issue, though easily managed, and you should look to a display with a good quality, and easily invoked, screen saver mode.

Jont - you should try being a Glaswegian living in Edinburgh :)

Best regards

Joe