1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG MZ-42PZ17 Plasma Setup

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by DEE ESS, Feb 7, 2003.

1. DEE ESS

DEE ESS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am expecting my, recently ordered, LG 17 next week and would like views on connectivity? I have a Roksan Caspian DTS 5.1 processor, Panasonic Sky Box & VCR, Gamecube, occasional PC and Manhattan DVD 2000.

Any help on settings ancillaries and cables would be greatly appreciated.

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Not familiar with your amp, so cannot comment if you can use this for your av switching. I can however comment on how you can hook up your kit to this screen relatively easily.

I am presuming the Video, Sky Box, DVD and Gamecube all have RGB scart output. Sky boxs normally also have RGB thoughput. Therefore video into Sky box for starters.

Could then connect Sky, Gamecube and DVD player into an RGB scart splitter (Loads of posts on this forum on these, available from £10 upwards depending on your budget)

Then connect rgb splitter to RGB scart to Component converter. JS model available for £140 which is said to have excellent quality. I have just ordered one for £80 from Scan to test the quality out. I will post my finding on this forum.

If you do a search you will find plenty of posts with regard to the JS rgb scart to component converter.

Then Component out on the converter to your LG 17.

Component is the best quality input available on this screen for Video. Svideo, composite and VGA are also available. Svhs and composite are too poor to use in my opinion, there are sync issues with video through the VGA port. Therefore component is the only option for best quality in my opinion.

You can hook your Plasma up to the PC via the vga port.

As for cables it is really down to budget. Lectropack do descent quality cables at a reasonable price as do QED. Should look at least 10 - 20 % of your budget for descent cables, connections I would say.

I am sure other members will post there opinions on this.

3. NellyT

NellyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DEE ESS
    i have the LG17 and have the dvd connected via s video

The sky box is conected by composite to the plasma. Not a good picture at all.

ive tried the rgb to component converter and it doesn't seem to work with LG. ive spoken to Baron mcann technicians and they have the same problem but speaking to the technical guy who sold me the box, he said he sees no reason why it should not.

i'm still in search of a converter.

ive tried to speak to the people at lg but no one will talk

Nelly t

ps its all to do with lg needing 15.7KHz and sky rgb and all other plasmas using 15.2KHz

4. DEE ESS

DEE ESS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nelly T

I'm surprised you have a problem, my system is set up with all my units connected through a Quintro auto switch and a syncblaster with 5m of Chord component cable to the plasma. The picture is nothing short of awesome from the DVD but degrades slightly with the Sky signal, however this is just down to the signal and is as good as ive seen it on any plasma.

Sorry i can't help you with your problem but it is unlikely to be connectivity i would say setup or faulty item.

5. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nelly,

I would PM you but you don't accept them -

Have you had any further developments on this? I have a 42PZ17 on order and wanted to use the JS Technology RGB to YUV converter to get Tivo into my plasma...

Mike

6. NellyT

NellyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mike i've tried the converter from the dvd and playstation and all is ok. its looking like the output from the sky ( pace ) box is at fault.
    i spoke to the sky technical dept and they dont understand plasma. the only sugestion was to try swaping the output connections on the back of the sky box. apparantly the 2 scart connections are both outputs.

ill try this tonight and let you know

nellyt

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi Nelly,

On my Panasonic Sky digibox only one of the Scarts outputs an RGB signal - the other one only outputs composite. I think most other digiboxes have similar Scarts.

Steve

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    As I said I am using and Scan RGB Scart to Component converter and the quality is great. It works with NTL Digital STB, I dont see why is should not work with a Sky STB. Have you tried connecting sky to a VCR with scart throughput and connect VCR to the converter ?

9. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now have mine running everything off a Sony RZ104 PC (has software to handle TV + 2 DVD drives) Thus only one input into the VGA socket on the plasma. Picture quality is awesome on TV abd DVD, acceptable on the PC (wide screen picture non-ideal for the PC). This set up also allows SKy+ style record to HDD, pause lie TV etc. The one draw back is that the RZ 104 doesn't handle digital TV so still have the sky box connected to the back of the PC via conposite in.

10. acollins

acollins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking at getting the LG plasma, but having seen it recently in comet as part of the pack with tuner stand speakers etc (I know this is the 14 not the 17). I cant help but think the picture is terrible.

They were showing starwars which had lots of dark scenes and it was noticably grainy even the top border was grainy. The analogue tv picture on other TVs was a lot better.

Is this because it is at the cheaper end of the plasma market or the way they had it setup ( they had it against a wall and the tuner box was hidden so i couldnt see how it was connected.

Thanks
    Andy

11. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your Comet is anything like ours, they will have had the tuner box connected to analogue RF which will produce a really crappy picture. How the tuner box is connected to the plasma is irrelevant really, garbage in = garbage out.

Depending on the processing electronics in the other screens analogue RF may look better on some plasmas than others. However unless you are going to buy a plasma to watch RF (WHY?!!!!!!) you shoudl make sure you demo the screens you are interested in using the inputs you are actually going to use.

Connect the plasma via VGA or a decent progressive scan component input and you will be blown away by the quality.

The 17 has better brightness and contrast than the 14.

Mike

12. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The 14 is know for having quite a poor picture compared to the 17. I wouldn't bother buying a plasma with a tuner, all my viewing is via consoles, DVD or Sky. I just don't need a tuner any more.

13. acollins

acollins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason I was considering a tuner was for the extra connections available for my PS2, gamecube, video, sky, DTT, DVD etc

I have been watching a samsung plasma connected to NTL (E4) via RGB scart an thought the pictue was awful is this NTL or plasma (i dont want to get into NTL vs SKY argument!!)

I dont want to spend nearly 3grand on a plasma if its going to be a crap picture, I know DVD would be better as I have component out on my sony 725 dvd and LG has this. But i do watch tv as well.

Can you get the tuner for the lg17 somewhere I read they said it was available..

Thanks

14. KevinWood

KevinWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick note to ask MilesbennettDyson where exactly it was "well known" that the 14 had a poor picture in comparison to the 17??

Looking at the specs the difference cannot be that big, as lets face it the 17 was a mere evolution of the 14 and not a revolution.

Sorry but felt I had to defend the 14 which has served me well and gives a great picture as long as you have a decent input!

15. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well in fairness to Miles I have to agree I am afraid. Both Miles and I have the 17 so it could be said we are biased.

But in the cold light of day it is a little more than evolution. It has twice the contrast ratio and 30% more brightness.

This is a big deal and anyone who has seen the two side by side would not disagree. Before getting the 17 I had a Samsung panel. This in itself had slightly superior contrast and brightness to the 14 if my memory serves me correctly. It also had the major advantage of having direct RGB scart input, no need for a tuner box or RGB scart / component converter and this certainly helps.

When I got the Samsung originally I looked carefully at the 14. I thought the Samsung produced the better picture, better darks less solarisation.

I had problems with two Samsung panels and decided to look at what else was available. Looked at the 17 and the Tosh / Panny clone. Got to be honest not much in it marginally better picture but a dog to look at. Certainly not worth the extra £500.

But it is a much much better panel the the Samsung and everyone whos sees it says as such.

I dont see much of a comparison between the 14 & 17 to be honest. Its a generation on. All be it still behind the likes of Panasonic etc. Thats not to say the 14 is a bad panel. It got decent write ups when it was released and properly setup produces good results. But I dont see why people are still buying it for £3000 from Currys etc when a considerably better newer version is available for £2499 from RS. And given a choice between the 14 and the Samsung, I would take the Samsung any day providing you could get the "right" one. Just my opinion.

16. acollins

acollins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the model in comet is the 14 and includes tuner, stand and speakers where as the Richersounds 17 is the panel only..

17. acollins

acollins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the model in comet is the 14 and includes tuner, stand and speakers where as the Richersounds 17 is the panel only..

18. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You are correct. I was talking about comparison in terms of picture quality. I did comment on the tunner. It is definately a disadvantage in terms of picture quality to use a tunner box opposed to direct component or component rgb scart converter all be it at an extra cost of £80 for a converter in my opinion. This is also a common opinion amongst many other forum members who own Plasma screens.

And anyone spending this much on a screen should have it hooked up to a reasonable DTS amp to get proper sound no ?

For under £3000 you can get the 17 screen, wall braket / stand and an extra 2 years warranty from Richer Sounds to give it 4 years warranty and have a much better screen. Sorry that is just how I see it. I personally cant see why anyone would go the Currys LG 14 route all be it with easier connectivity.

But thats just my opinion.

19. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Isn't it a bit shallow to start "defending" inanimate pieces of electronics?

Anyhoo, the 14 was awarded a two star review in several mags when I was deciding what panel to buy, and the contrast ratio is one of the main reasons the 17 is vastly superior. Check out some reviews of the 14 vs 17 and you'll see what I mean.

I still wonder why HCC haven't reviewed either panel...

20. Mr Rob T

Mr Rob T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Can you direct me to a comparison review of the 17 v 14. If there is such a big difference then my dad has not got what he paid for.

I have the 14 and my dad has the 17 and to my eyes there is no difference in quality between them.

My dads was bought as a panel only, mine was a complete system from QED-UK. I was told by some dealers when I was helping my dad purchase his panel that the model numbering used by LG is to differentiate between the "panel only" and the "complete kit" and there is no difference between the panels.

Rob

21. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    This is not the case. Have a look at the LG website and see for yourself :

MZ42PZ17

http://www.lge.co.uk/mod_perl/go.pl...roducts.htm?product_uid=2311&category_uid=616

MZ42PZ14

http://www.lge.co.uk/mod_perl/go.pl...roducts.htm?product_uid=2310&category_uid=616

To be exact the 17 has 40% more contrast that the 14. Brightness is 750 on the 17 v 800 on the 14. But it is only recommended to have brightness at around 50% anyway, to get the best quality picture, reduce the risk of screen burn and prolong the life of the unit.

So no doubt about it. The 17 is a far superior screen in terms of picture quality. You dad must have a 14 if you can see no difference. Or it is not setup correctly.

22. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You've actually given the specs for the 60" 14 model, so you're actually giving better specs the the 42" 14 really has.