1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG MZ-42PZ14 too dark?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jsmurray, Nov 16, 2003.

1. jsmurray

jsmurray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a nice shiny 42" LG plamsa about a month ago, but am very disappointed with the picture.
    I saw one in Dixons and it looked fine so I bought one.
    The screen does not handle dark scenes very well at all. In fact I need the sceen on 100% brightness and 100% contrast to be generally watchable. Even set like this you still can't see peoples faces in dark movie scenes.
    When I play the same scene through the VGA input from a laptop, the picture is fine.
    As the screen can obviously cope, I figured there must be problem with either the AV board, the cable or the DVD player.

I swapped the DVD player and the cable but neither made a difference, so I logged a service call. The guys came out and agreed it looked too dark. They swapped the AV board - no difference. They tried using a tuner instead - no difference. Then they swapped the entire screen - no difference.

Does this mean all LG plasma's are like this, and if so how come some of you guys are happy with them?
    :confused:

2. jsmurray

jsmurray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been doing a little reading around, and as the picture is much better using the VGA input on the plasma, I guess I could input to that from my DVD.

As a noobie, I'm having a little problem trying to work out how.

Currently I link my Sky digibox > Tivo > DVD input and then from my DVD RGB Scart output to the plasma composite phonos on the AV board.

I *think* I need to buy an RGB to VGA converter and hook that up in between the DVD and Plasma.

However, I don't know what the difference is between the Zinwell Briteview and the JS RGB to VGA Converter.

Also, JS say the converter is not supported for the LG plasma's, but they do not say why.

I feel like a right dunce. Can any one shed any light?
    :lesson:

3. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this display - you absolutely 110% defineitely without doubt should not feed it with composite - I use VGA from my HTPC and it is brilliant. You will still need to fiddle with the contrats and brightness settings to get the dark scenes right but trust me it can be done

4. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JSMurray - you are correct, the JS Tech RGB to VGA converter will not work with the LG plasmas.

The reason being the JS converter outputs 15.something kHz signal, wheras the LG plasmas will only accept 31kHz signals (which is what you get from the VGA output of a PC). The JS output is half the frequency of that you get from a proper PC. Some plasmas will accept this, the LG ones won't.

One solution is to use a HTPC. You could also try the JS RGB to YUV (Component) converter which does work with the LG, it will improve your dark scenes but I haven't compared component against VGA to see which is better. (I would guess VGA).

Mike

5. jsmurray

jsmurray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Mike. That explains why the JS won't work.
    I've not tried using the component input to my screen yet, but the tuner, and composite inputs have both been cr@p. Way too dark.
    I don't want to risk buying the JS RGB > YUV converter to find that the YUV inputs also display too dark.

I know the vga is ok as I've tested it with my laptop, so I'd rather input that way.

So how do I best go from RGB Scart to VGA for an LG?

(I don't want to use a HTPC as I've got a Tivo.)

6. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Tivo too, currently connected to my LG Plasma (I have the PZ17 model) via composite. Yes it is not fantastic but as a temporary fix it works OK.

RGB Scart to VGA - well you're looking at a JS RGB2YUV converter and then an Iscan Pro to covert to VGA. I think that's about 600 quid's worth!

A cheap way of seeing if the VGA is too dark for you is to get a TV card for your PC and run that to the plasma. Or if you have a DVD player on your PC try that via the VGA output.

Mike

7. jsmurray

jsmurray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the thing. I played a movie my laptop through the vga and the picture was fine. Very happy with it.

600quid seems like a lot of expense to pay to get a viewable picture on a screen that cost over 2grand though.

8. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, 600 quid is a lot, but at the time I bought my LG the Panasonic was at least 600 quid more expensive, and I would still have needed a RGB2VGA converter to convert my Tivo to a half-decent signal.

Bear in mind that you may be able to use the Iscan and RGV2YUV converter with any future screen you buy, and should still improve picture quality over RGB scart (at least until HDTV comes around, which in the UK for broadcast looks to be 10 years away at least)

Mike