1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG MZ-42PZ14 - optimum settings, please?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TP2K, Jan 31, 2003.

1. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had the 'call' to say my MZ-42PZ14 will be with me on Wednesday, I am wondering if any owners have some optimum settings tips for Plasma/DVD-R/Digital Cable setup?

All greatfully received!

TIA!

2. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? Please? :)

3. Paul Fraser

Paul Fraser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I can't help (I'm waiting on mine) but can I ask you who you ordered from and when? (waiting for a courier call...) Ta.

4. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    - mine was from Powerhouse (not available from QED when I ordered). And assuming it arrives when quoted it will be exactly three weeks to the day - coming direct from LG.

I believe QED has stock in hand and they will deliver within 3 days.

5. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi guys
    My LG14 got delivered last sunday from Comet.Took just 8 days from ordering in store. The screen has an RGB input and PC VGA connection and also comes with an add in card with AVI input for video (came with lead as well) , Component DVD input (no lead). The tuner box had 2 scarts , rf connections and i believe an S-video and audio sockets. I believe cos i haven't used it and can't see round the back without moving the set and it weighs a ton.
    My DVD player has no component output so useing an Argos multi scart box i have SKY Digi-box into Scart 1 and multibox into Scart 2 for DVD and X-box and PS with Video player into card on screen.
    Great picture from all sources and not sure if the JS convertor i read about on this forum would improve my setup picture wise or not. Someone who owns one maybe advise?
    One word of warning is that these set's are a lot bigger in your room than they look in store , by room ain't half shrunk as a result but i'm not complaining.
    If you plan on useing your PC to connect it really is impressive. I was playing DOD online last night and with the lights out and sound up it's like actully being there , totally amazing.
    Good luck with your set when it arrives. :clap:

6. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GP; I like your quote about size. I did all the measuring and though "yep... not a problem". Still waiting on the display, but the AV stand (slimline) arrived Friday evening and is setup and ready to go ... and panic is installed at the size of just the stand! :zonked: I might have to view the screen from my hallway at this rate!

Still, I'm sure over the weeks the size shock will settle down. Someone tell me this! :D

7. KevinWood

KevinWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TP2K, You will be amazed how quickly you get used to the size of the screen. Had mines just over a month and l'm already thinking that it is looking a bit small for my needs!!! Okay, I jest a little with that last point, but given how good it looks on & off, it ain't a problem with the space it takes up.

General Panic,

How do you find DVD through the scart, my personal opinion was that it was fine until Dark scenes came along, then it really struggles! This is why I went out and bought the Limit 9600se Prog Scan Player, as I just couldn't help noticing the lack of detail, etc.
    You pretty much covered all the connections though, and having read thru the complaints users of certain other Plasmas have regarding tuner boxes, I have to give LG a huge compliment for how good the one supplied here is!!

8. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Gant
    To be honest i've not watched many DVD's since i got the LG. It does seem, again listening to peoples comments that Plasma and DVD dark scenes = problem. Then again on my old CRT some DVD's were not exactly brill on dark scenes either so i suppose i'll just live with it.
    Does the progressive scan DVD seem to make a huge difference?
    Again the JS Tech RGB to Componet convertor http://www.rgbtosvideo.com is supposed to improve the picture to plasma but how much i'm not sure. I could buy this for £150 and a new prog scan DVD player for £200 and not be much better off :rolleyes:
    I guess more research is called for and this forum seems good at provideing answers.

9. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    General Panic,
    How much did you give Comet for your LG 14? If you don't mind me asking of course. I'm going to go in and haggle and hope to come away having paid £2500 with a screen and wall mounting kit.

TV tuner is of no interest to me. If it doesn't go to plan I'll just get the 17 from Richer Soudns for £2500 and spend £130 on their mountng kit.

10. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hey Miles
    Not much good at the haggling myself....tried and failed. Still thought the price of £2999 was ok for the set,tuner,desk top stand and speakers. All of these extras i needed and i also got 2 years intrest free credit which was REALLY useful for me.
    Which ever set you go for i'm sure you won't be disappointed.

11. marts62

marts62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mine arrived Sunday morning.

Agreed with the comments about size... just huge but definitely no room for a 50-incher so no upgrade worries there.

Initial reaction... not at all happy with the picture.
    Then I realised I had not told the dvd player about the new 16:9 screen:rolleyes: , but once that adjustment had been made I was delighted:clap: . The webs in Spider-man opening credits look almost 3-D.

And no dead pixels:D .

I'm very happy with the screen.

Anyone got the PIP* button to work?

Someone earlier mentioned Contrast100, brightness90, Colour50 and Sharpness70. I found that the colour needed to be nearer 35 and I took 10 off the Contrast and Brightness.

12. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Marts
    Nice looking screen ain't it. I don't think the PIP works. I spent ages on but i think you need 2 tuners to get PIP to work. Freeze frame works though. Anyway enjoy the set :hiya:

13. marts62

marts62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good morning General, sah!

It is *very* nice, especially considering I don't have to pay for it for another 24 months :rotfl:.

Next step is to hook up my Freeview box using CT100 aerial cables (dunno what that means in English :blush: ).

The only downside is, with the new screen, I feel the urge to rewatch all 300 dvds... which will take for frickin ever!

Does anyone have any tips for where to get the short speaker stands? Thanks.

14. Paul Fraser

Paul Fraser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QED-UK have the same package as comet for £2576 or thereabouts. Well, they did last Thursday...

15. KevinWood

KevinWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    General Panic,

The rgb to Component converter ain't gonna improve the DVD playback as the DVD is directly into the Component port anyway. As for the question of does PS improve things? In my personal opinion, it does, and for £200 it is a really worthwhile upgrade.

I agree with Mart62 regarding Colour settings. When viewing Sky/Xbox/PS2, etc then I have to lower most colour settings (I actually set the Sharpness way down to about 15-20!), however on DVD's I just set the colours back to Dynamic, which works just fine.

cheers

Gant.

16. marts62

marts62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi gant

What's that Dynamic thing? Is there a dynamic button somewhere?

Thanks.

17. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Problem with Darks effect all the "Budget" Plasma panels ( LG 14, Samsung, Daewoo etc) and most of the older Plasma Displays.

Even if you spend the extra £1000 on a 42" Panny / Tosh which have much higher contrast ratios (3000 opposed to 500 on LG 14)
    Blacks are still not perfect in my opinion. Much Much better but not perfect certainly not as good as a quality CRT screen. Dont think there is much debate on this point. What you do get is size and the ability to stick the thing on the wall which I feel more than compensates for this.

Prog Scan is meant to help and provide a marginally better picture but as Plasma screens deinterlace the signal anyway difference is not as much as you might expect.

Going the RGB - Component route is however meant to produce better results than using a tunner from previous posts I have Read. Scan do an RGB Scart to Component converter for around £80 including devlivery (No audio through put but who needs it ?). I am going to try this opposed to the JS route and spend the £60 I save on a quality Component cable if I cant get RS to throw one in. I am doing this mainly because I could not find anyone to offer and alternative to the JS route and I simply wont believe this is the only solution, we will soon see.

Also for the people asking about discounts on the price of the LG 14 and DSG I would strongly recommend anyone looking to buy one of these screens to demo it and then view the newer LG 17 model in RS. They sell this for £2499, You can get a stand for about £90, £80 for the rgb scart converter £60 for a good quality component cable.

So for £2700 you get the newer model all be it without the finance for 2 years. Having viewed both models I think the newer model produces are a far better picture. Its contrast ratio is also double that of the LG 14 and this this shows in much better definition in dark scenes.

18. KevinWood

KevinWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marts62,

The Dynamic is just one of the pre-defined colour settings that comes setup on the LG14 (You also get a Standard Setting and a Mild setting!).

Harrisuk,

I don't doubt at the theory of darks, interlaced/deinterlaced etc means that Plasma's will struggle and that the budget end of the market more so, however given my actual experience, the prog scan helped out a great deal over a bog standard interlaced signal. I can also say that having connected directly to the Plasma via component and thru' the Tuner Box, there is no difference whatsoever (in my fairly uneducated in the ways of AV eyes!!), so I want to give a big thumbs up to LG for a decent Tuner Box!!
    As for going for the 17 now over the 14...kind of logical, given that newer models should always improve upon the previous, but the facts are that some budgets are already stretched and even another £100 can be the difference between affording something or not (especially when her indoors is involved in the finances ;o)). So anyone going for the 14 shouldn't disparage, its a decent performer, but for my peace of mind, the prog scan improved DVD's to the point where I can stop "looking" for faults on the screen.

cheers peeps

Gant.

19. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I agree budgets are budgets and even £200 can make a difference. My point was people are looking at the Lg 14 at £2999 at DGS, you can get the newer model with much better specs for about £2700 with everthing you need, a saving of £300 !

I know they do this set at QED for about £2600 which is certainly a much better deal than the DGS offer, however even at £2600 I would still be inclined to go the LG 17 route I found the quality was noticably better having viewed both. Agaain this is only my opinion anyone buying these sets should demo them carefully themselves to make sure they are happy with them.

Another point having seen the quality from the Limit Prog Scan DVD player that RS sell for £200, I was not impressed with the quality on this player at all, this has also been mentioned by a number of other people on this forum. I will wait on Prog Scan I think until I can afford a descent player.

Also the LG panels do not support Pal Prog Scan I believe. Can you confirm this ?

20. KevinWood

KevinWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree I wouldn't spend more on the 14 than a 17, but the £2569? price at Qed-uk is a great deal, considering that the Tuner gives a multitude of connections at a decent quality, and to be honest takes away a lot of the connection issues that Newbies to AV (of which I consider myself one!) struggle with.

The LG's don't support PAL Prog, only NTSC(480p). However the Limit does a great job, in my opinion, converting to NTSC Progressive. I don't know what systems you tested it on, but the Quality of picutre on the LG 14 is definently enhanced by the Limit, although I'm sure it will be the same with other brands that do Prog Scan, but how many cost only £199?

You are right in saying that some people have had issues with the build quality which I can only agree with! The buttons don't feel solid, the DVD Tray doesn't feel as "fitted" as it should, etc. However, as I don't intend throwing it around or handling it roughly I don't think it is too big a deal, I mean it just sits in the cabinet giving a nice picture.

cheers

21. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It is a good price considering it includes Speakers Tunner and stand certainly compared to £2999 in Currys / Comet. However for the extra £150 I cant imagine that anyone who has viewed both sets would buy anything other than the 17 model with such a small price difference - £150 in £2600 is small potatoes and I thought the picture was a significant improvement on the 14 model.

I saw the limit player running on the LG 17 in RS. I thought a Tosh costing £120 with component output (Obviously not progessive scan) looked better.

I say again I strongly suggest that anyone considering buying one of these demos both the LG 14 & 17 before buying and make the descision for themselves.

Ease of connectivity is worth considering. I understand that out of the box a tunner is a much easier setup option than rgb splitter to RGB -> Component converter etc but not rocket science.

Again these are just my personal opinions there are loads of people on this forum who have the 14 and are dead happy with it, I just think If you are buying now it is worth looking at the newer model for the small difference in price and improved picture quality.

22. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK; so now it's arrived...

Any owners care to give me the lowdown on optimum setting please!?

roofer!? I think you had some... can you let me know if poss?

Thanks for all help! :)

23. big.hal

big.hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PIP does work, i use it to watch sky when I've got my laptop connected to the plasma using the old 15 pin socket

24. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Hal
    Does the PIP only work then with an external PC signal , or say SKY and video or terrestial tv channel. Nothing seems to be in the manuel just the button on the remote.:confused:

25. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have read you need the tunner box for it to work ?

26. marts62

marts62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Bobones gave some excellent advice. Try T2's THX test screens. It worked for me!
    Roofer's settings I think are quoted in my mail on page 1.

27. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Re the PIP. I do have the tuner box and still can't seem to get this feature to work.

Re The settings. Thanks for the T2 tip it does work quite well. I seemed to go to the menu every night and try to tweak something and never quite got things as accurate as this.

28. marts62

marts62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    General, what did you end up with for the colour setting? I don't have the THX blue glasses, so had to guess at 40.
    Thanks

29. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Good tip didnt even know it was there ! I have the original T2 Region 1 release with the slip on metal case.

Does this two disc edition have this option ? I will give it a try anyway tonight.

30. big.hal

big.hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not got a tuner box. I can see both Video and s video via pip when the laptop is connected via RGB. Both large and small picture size. If no RGB signal then PIP does not work.