I ordered the LG from QED-UK (£2573) which was delevered today :D

5 boxes were delivered:
MZ-42PZ14 Screen
AP-42SA Speakers
AP-42DA10 Desktop stand
RZ-BA10 Tuner
AP-42EA20 Interface Board

The interface board has component and composite connections

The tuner has , S-video, component, RGB PC, and 2 RGB scarts.

I have only spent a few hours with it so far. I have connected the DVD via scart to the tuner box and watched half an hour of T2.

First impressions are the build quality seems to be excellent. As far as picture quality goes I was a bit blown away with T2 even using the scart connection to the tuner. The picture was so much better than when I tried to compare it to the Sammy in Currys. I slightly prefered the picture of the LG to the Sammy, but I imagine the sammy also is excellent once at home and connected correctly.

Full evalution to follow

Regards

Rob

Can the LG handle Prog Scan images from a suitably equipped DVD Source on the LG?

Looking forward to hearing you verdicts.....:D

Bast*rd! I ordered mine on Monday, but even now it has not been processed because they are waiting on an address check. That's 4 freeking days for an address check. I will phone QED tonight and if nothing is sorted I'm canceling my order and buying a 32" toshiba for £600. :(

Regarding progressive scan, no I don't think the LG does it. Nor does the tuner do picture-in-picture like the sammy (or does it?). I have had a close look at both these machines now and, although the Samsung looks better on paper, the LG wins hands down in the flesh, both in looks and picture quality IMO.

Thanks for the info on the LG.

Just a thought tho...surely a Prog Scan Sammy would be better to look at than a interlaced LG? (assuminga decent prog scan DVD player is doing the Processing, not the sammy internals)

You are probably right about the interlaced sammy vs interlaced LG tho.....I havn't seen them side by side...but both have impressed me (but saw them 4 months apart)

The Pioneer 43" that was beside the sammy blew it out the water mind. :rolleyes:

Well I haven't had any progress on my order and the LG is mysteriously no longer for sale on the website. :(

I ordered my Lg from QED-UK on Sunday 1st, processed by them quite quickly and hopefully the delivery company are calling me on Wednesday to arrange delivery Thursday/Friday...can't wait!

Look forward to your post about your LG setup and how it went. Any tips on pitfalls to avoid, etc would be good (for when I receive mine obviously!).

Out of interest, what sound setup are you using? the Speakers that came with the screen, or some Home Theatre kit? I have ordered the Pioneer Multi Region DCS-303.

Gant,

I still have not had any time to play around with mine yet, as the wife has been on a bit of “lets get all the xmas shopping done” for the last week. But I intend to spend some time with it over the next day or two.

As I said earlier I am very impressed so far, it has made me realise how bad SKY can be at times (loads of MPEG artefacts). I have watched a couple of DVD’s Knights Tale and Jurassic 3. The experience was great even my wife agreed.

Assembly was easy, just be methodical. The only thing that caught me out was when I laid the screen down on the floor to attach the stand…. The stand protrudes in front of the screen, so I put all the polystyrene in the main box and laid the screen on that to attach the stand. It’s also a good idea to attach the speakers (if you are using them) at the same time and fit the AV board.

I am using my 2-year-old Yamaha AV receiver and speaker package at the moment and a Pioneer 454 DVD player. I use the LG speakers for watching the news and regular TV.

Well, I have finally received and setup my LG Plasma. You were right about the DVD looking good Rob, although plugging Sky in through the Tuner (RGB Scart) gives a fairly poor picture.

Do you (or anyone!) know if it is worth buying the JS RGB to Component (YUV) Converter (I believe you can't use the RGB to Plasma VGA connection on LG's- according to the JS site) as £145 is a not cheap for a minimal improvement?

Cheers

Mmmmm, I didn't realise the RBG > VGA converter wouldn't work with the LG Plasma . . . does anyone know why this is ? Perhaps Dr John could shed some more light for us ??

Monty.

Hi,

My sky picture is not good, but it was not good on my 28" Sony. It does look worse on the LG when I am close up, but thats just because the picture is bigger. The problem with the sky picture is the amount of compression they are now using to fit all the channel and all the interactive stuff onto the bandwidth. I don't think the RGB to component converter can help much with this. I think the reason they say it does not work with the LG is the misconception that the LG did not support Progressive Scan (which it does)

I spoke to Dr Sim about this and aparently its to do with the horizontal synch frequency of the LG plasma. Does anyone know where I can get hold of an original LG tuner box (Model No DAT 100) its like trying to get hold of rocking horse sh*t on its own as an accessory. Maybe if enough people want one we could go direct to LG with a powerbuy???????(Richer sounds say they cant get it!)

(I know my other thread says I've received the Samsung plasma, I did, doesn't work properly, RS swapping for LG on Wednesday!!)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom