1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG MW-30LZ10 -- 30 inch LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by andya, May 1, 2003.

1. andya

andya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    was going to get the hitachi 400e plasma for £2800 until i saw some info on the lg 30 inch lcd for £2020,i was worried with screen burn on the plasma.because i want to use it mainly for pc and game consoles and realise the lg wont suffer from this also 30 inch would be ok i only have a small bedroom.can anyone tell me the main disadvantages of lcd.i believe its a active matrix tft lcd display so i assume its like a tft flat panel monitor

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    In comparison with a Plasma (leaving dinosaur CRTs aside for this purpose):

1: Less contrast - black is more likely to be grey. This is less visible in light conditions - more so in darkness.

2: Some LCDs exhibit poorish colour uniformity - ie, have slight tints in parts of the screen

3: Some LCDs have a reduced viewing angle. In most cases this is oriented so that, if you go only a few degrees BELOW horizontal you lose the image. Newer offerings from Samsung and Sharp (I can't speak for the LG item) have pretty much got this one licked with 170degree viewing in both planes.

4: Some LCDs have a slow response time. This can cause fast moving objects to blur - most noticeable on scrolling titles. Newer models are quicker so this is becoming less of an issue.

But....

5: No screen burn
    6: Better 'fill ratio' ie, more of the screen is illuminated, less of it is the back grid between the pixels
    7: Better able to handle pastel and nearly-but-not-quite black colours - Plasmas have to do this by dithering which can give a shimmering effect.
    8: Absolutely NO visible refresh-rate flicker.

3. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    LCD´s supposedly have no flicker. But after playing my gameboy advance sp for a long time.. when I close my eyes I see flicker.. how weird is that!

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    That is awsome for just over £2K the cost of CRT is going fall and the plasma have a lot of ground to work with. I really hope that 42" get to £2K for high quality models not only bargain basement sets, Personally i much prefer plasma but if you like the PQ of that LG its seems great!

5. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I've seen this LG running with men in black on dvd and it was terrible! The colours and black levels were not too bad but there was motion blurring all over the place!

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    It iswierd.

You can demonstrate the total absence of flicker on LCDs (and compare it with other types) by doing this:

1: Play an NTSC source on the LCD screen. (60hz refresh rate)
    2: Point a PAL (50hz) camcorder at the screen, record (or view) the signal.

You would/should expect the difference in refresh rate to cause a strobing effect, similar to what is seen when TV programmes or films have PC monitors in the frame. With LCDs, it doesn't, not at all.