1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG MW-30LZ10 -- 30 inch LCD/no tuner

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by niallsmart, Apr 7, 2003.

1. niallsmart

niallsmart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm looking at getting one of these

http://www.lgeus.com/Product/Monitor/30LCD.asp

Its actually marketed as a PC screen, I was thinking of hooking up a VCR or PC for TV reception.

Has anyone got any experience with this screen?

Thanks

Niall

2. stevehayles

stevehayles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if you got any further with the LG LCD display. There is a review in Home Cinema Choice (June 2003) which does not rate it too highly but my I could not trust someone elses view as it is very subjective, so I travelled to see the panel in Comet today and I have to say that I am impressed. I am sure that there are those that will pick it apart technically for not having a quick enough response time etc. but I liked what I saw.

Apparently the unit was being fed a composite signal which if correct was quite impressive for lack of noise. I saw some fast moving football 'pans' and to be honest I really could not see any 'lag'. I am sure its there but then I don't care aout the technicalities too much and prefer to trust what my eyes tell me.

The brightness figures might not be great but in a fairly bright shop environment it fared very well. I asked my girlfriend to walk around and pick what she thought was the best display and she picked it out ahead of a Panasonic TH37PW5 and a Phillips 32PF9964 plasma

I don't have the room for a 42" plasma and like the idea of LCD. For me this screen is spot on if a little stingy on connections. There are no scart inputs but there is component and S-video in. RGB scart would have been nice but I have had success with RGB to component converters and have a decent AV amp which can switch them so for me I think its a pretty good option.

Any other views about this screen ?

3. niallsmart

niallsmart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

I haven't seen this screen on display yet, the only LCD screen I have seen is the Sharp Aquos 30". The LG is available several hundred pounds cheaper though (see crampton and moore) but I'm not sure if thats a good thing or a bad sign!

One thing I did discover is that an external tuner is available for the screen, think it costs around £100.

Would appreciate comments from any owners of this screen!

Regards,

Niall

4. stevehayles

stevehayles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have spent as long as I need to looking at the screen and I most of the problems (no scart sockets etc) do not matter to me with the set-up I have and I actually want a panel without any speakers or extra stb as it looks better in my living room.

The screen is available for about 2070 pounds at the moment and I think that represents decent value. The idea of an LCD screen appeals to me and in action I was more than impressed by it.

Mine arrives this week some time (so I am told!) so will report back if there are any relevant findings after a few days use.

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    We're doing a big screen showcase in 3 weeks down at the Spa Hotel Tunbridge Wells. It's all plasmas and projectors but we've actually got one of these 30" LG's there as well! Anyone is welcome to pop down and have a look...

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    As regards tuning the LCD screen it has an s-video input so any s-video source will work fine Freeveiw box, Svhs, deck or dvd. An RGB>VGA converter will also work see JS Technology for available boxes.

7. niallsmart

niallsmart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam,

Is there a dedicated tuner for the LG MW-30LZ10 available? I was quoted £99 for one, but I'm not sure if that's a generic tuner or one designed by LG to match the screen.

Niall

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    LG have stuck a tuner into one of their DVD home theatre kit systems and are advertising that as a tuner option (hence you get speakers, DVD and TV tuning) - we've gone slightly the same way by getting a deal on the DVD/VCR combi they do and the official speakers.

However, there is no exclusive tuner available so I would imagine you were offered a ProV!

9. niallsmart

niallsmart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh - the ProV looks like an interesting piece of kit. It would be even nicer if it had a SCART RGB input! Is there anything like that?

It doesn't seem to support WXGA though - so maybe it's not a good choice for this screen?