LG Minibeam UST PF1000U Ultra Short Throw Projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Fat_Tony, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,066
  2. dave77

dave77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I'm interested in reviews too, might get one next time it's on the lightening deals

3. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,066
    I decided against it, for now.

From what I've read it is less flexible than a regular projector, requires a real rigid perfectly flat screen, it was suggested a whiteboard rather than a standard pull down projector screen. Apparently any slight uneven surface is magnified due to the close proximity.

Still love the idea of if it though

4. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,511
    I am looking into its successor, the
    LG HF85JA Ultra Short Throw Laser Smart Home Theater Projector (2017 Model). Brighter, laser, easier to adjust.

5. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,066
    I had one of those I previously mentioned, sent it back the next day. It looked great but wasn't £400 better than the basic one I ended up with for my limited use requirements.

6. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,511
    Which one did you end up with?

7. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,066
  8. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,511
  9. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,066
    I tried it for a few hours, it wasn't up to standards. As alot of the reviews mentioned, if the surface isn't absolutely perfectly flat then any imperfections are amplified.

I'm sure I could have made it work with time, but I wanted a quick and easy portable projector so simple the kids could get it going.

10. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,511
    So the lower lumens (450 vs 1000) and lower resolution (720 vs 1080) do not make any difference??

11. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,511
    So the lower lumens (450 vs 1000) and lower resolution (720 vs 1080) do not make any difference??

12. Fat_Tony

Fat_Tony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,066
    To be honest I can't remember enough to offer you any meaningful advice, I had it a short time maybe a year or so ago.

I remember finding it very difficult to find decent reviews at the time. Probably the best bet is to order from somewhere like amazon with a good return policy.

13. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Hi,

I just bought this projector, as a temporary measure while my lg c6 oled is being repaired, but also as a backup option for my 3d film collection in case the c6 either can't be repaired, or dies again.

It seems pretty decent, and I like the fact that it doesn't need much space, and can sit pretty close to the wall/screen. So I'm currently rocking an 80" 3d display using a screen I made out of white hardboard and some wooden support struts.

Picture is pretty good I think, as my room is usually pitch black anyway, so works great for a projection setup.

One thing I can't seem to work out....when 3d mode is active, I can't access the settings menu....which means I don't know which picture mode it's using, and presumably then 3d mode an not be calibrated?

Is there any way around this? I'm actually really enjoying the 3d on this setup, so I might even kepe this as my main display, foregoing 4k and hdr, once my c6 is repaired, and maybe put that in another room.

Coming from such an accurate display prior to this though, I have noticed quite a difference in colour accuracy, and as I'm using it mainly for 3d content, I'd really like to know if there's a way to calibrate that mode?

Thanks,
    Glenn

14. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,511
    Did you break your Oled TV???

15. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    it developed a fault with one of the hdmi ports ages ago....been workign for a few months just using 1 port connected to my new denon amp....but the other day I decided to try this updated firmware...the set worked ok, until I noticed that netflix wasn't working, everythign was jsut stuck loading, but no single title would play....I thought I'd try rebooting the tv, but since switchign it off, it doesn't switch on anymore.

Lg collected it yesterday, and it arrived at their repair centre today :)

so fingers crossed it'll be fixed and returned in good working order. Made me realise how much I rate 3d, over 4k+HDR though...and finding a 3d/4k/hdr set was next to impossible anyway...the only thing I could find for a reasonable price was a panasonic 58" LCD, which was 4k+hdr, active 3d, and still about £1000. For £900, I've now got am 80" 3d dlp screen, so I figured that since I don't care as much about hdr as I do for 3d, I may as well take an upgrade in screen size :)

Never realised how much of a difference the screen size has on the 3d though....80" compared to the 55" oled, and thigns are really popping out into the room on some titles.

I mean the 3d on the oled was already superb.....and in terms of picture clarity/sharpness/colour accuracy, the oled wins hands down. But i gotta say, I'm still very impressed by the immersion of having 3d on such a huge scale.....It's actually making me consider changing my room around a bit...again....to maybe accommodate and even larger screen size....Should be able to get a pretty awesome picture at 100" diagonal out of the pf1000u.

On the topic of screens also....can anyone reccommend a real budget, but fixed frame screen?

I originally tried to find a pre-stretched canvas, but it seems difficult to find anythign that large, especially at a decent price. I also tried an old portable projector screen, but found the wrinkles/creases/ripples just too distracting. I had an old white board, but this was too reflective, so even with the ust design, the projection beam was visible.

So what I ended up doign was buying a large sheet of matt white hardboard (3mm thick), and screwing it to a frame made from some cheap strips of soft wood.

works pretty well, and there's no more distracting creases or anythign like that. There's a slight bowing to the hardwood in the middle, especially at the bottom...but it's barely noticable when watching a film, and a lot better still than the projection screen material I was using.

If i were to use this as my main setup though, I think I'd have to find some way to perfect this screen, or to invest in another fixed frame projection screen...I don't want to spend too much at the moment though, as I've just bought this projector, and am paying lg direct to repair the c6.

16. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,511
    Do you find DLP Active 3D much dimmer than Oled passive 3D?

17. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Yes, the image brightness/contrast/colour reproduction isn't a scratch on the c6.

Definitely, the picture quality in all respects is better on the oled..... But just the experience of having such a huge screen, with 3d too... It's really cool.

Was watching one of the 3d documentaries about sharks last night, and it was like having all the sea life swimming around the room haha. Just brilliant.

It's enough to make me want to really sort the screen out properly haha.

18. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Fyi... Just tried my old reflective white board again, and I was wrong about the beam.

You can see it quite clearly when your stood up, but from normal seating position it isn't visible on the screen at all.

So, whilst it was fun building the hardboard screen, I'm gonna stick with the whiteboard for this setup now, as it's a lot more solid and easy to clean :)

19. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,511
    Photos please! :)

20. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Here's a snaps of the projector in action. A most with the lights off and then a couple with the lights on to show the setup and a photo of the projector itself.

Attached Files:

21. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,511
  22. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Thanks, I'll look into that maybe if I have any issues with the whiteboard. So far so good though.

23. Roku2

Roku2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,511
    Was it difficult to center/align picture with screen?

24. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Not too bad. The main issue I had was that even with the whiteboard, it is more sturdy, but had a slight bowing in the middle. I remedied this by packing some foam behind the bottom corners of the screen.

I think it would be better if I fully mounted the screen to the wall, but I can't be bothered moving everything out and drilling the holes, so instead I have it on brackets archedat to my units.

Anyway, the foam thing made the screen level, but I then had to adjust the projector itself because the top was going off the screen lol.

A few small adjustments physically and then a few adjustments on the projectors settings and the visible screen is now flat, even level and squared off.

So....I guess.... It wasn't easy as such, but not the most difficult thing to sort either. I now added a black frame to the visible screen area to cut out the distracting side areas that are not part of the content.

Also did a very basic and quick calibration. Tried to do a 20 point, but the controls didn't seem to respond very well at all. The 2 point/high+low controls work great though, so I used that with 10 measurement points and I'm pretty happy with the results visually.

Not a scratch on the c6 still for colour accuracy and general picture quality, but I really love the larger screen size.

So yeah, pretty happy with the setup now, I'm in no rush to get the c6 back, they can spend as long as it takes to fix it lol.

25. GlennTidbury

GlennTidbury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Does anyone else own this, or a similar lg projector?

Any tips on calibration?

I did a basic 2 point calibration without too many problems, grey scale looks pretty good, but colour saturation is still pretty far off the mark.

Red in particular is massively over saturated, but red luminance is very low.

Blue and green are also very difficult to get in line.

Using the CMS controls, I managed to get things looking generally a bit better, softer and more natural, but then noticed that it was creating really bad blotches in some content, particularly for skin tones.

So I've given up using CMS, I think (as in many other system) it's broken/causes more issues than it solves.

The 20 point system, similarly, gave me initially better results, but checking the grey scale ramp afterwards made it obvious that there were very bad colour tints, especially red tints.

I've now gone back to using just the basic 2 point calibration, and it's generally not bad, better than the default settings.... But obviously, there's a fair bit of colour clipping, as some colours are very over saturated, and can't seem to be corrected without ruining other aspects of the picture.

Is this a pretty normal experience for lg projectors?

Also still can't find a way to calibrate for 3d, as even in the service menu, there's no greyscale adjustments for HDMI, only rgb or composite inputs.

I'm thinking I might just factory reset it, since I'm mainly using it for 3d anyway, and I think seeing the obvious difference between the 2 point calibrated 2d and the uncalibratable 3d, might be a bit jarring lol.

::Edit::

I've now reset the projector back to defaults and just select cinema mode.

For some reason, every time I set up custom picture mode, or correct the White balance, etc, I get after occasional micro stutter, like it's dropping frames or something?

I guess that when you make too many adjustments, it needs to pricesp the image, and the processor just isn't up to the job?

Anyway, it doesn't look "bad" in cinema mode, but being used to my oled with near perfect colours, it's a notable difference.

Anyway, the motion hitch seems to have gone now that I've reset the projector, so I'll settle for this.

Still awesome having a huge screen :)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018