LG M2780D Ghosting, blur.

stanlaurel

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm hoping someone can ease my frustration.
Ihave bought an LG M2780D monitor T.V. And the connections im using are,from the p.c a DVI cable(i dont have hdmi or any other option from the p.c.).. And a 15 pin vga cable into the monitor. hope that makes sense.
the problem im getting is that text and images are blurry or ghosting. 1920x1080 at 60hz is what the monitor resolution is set at and i have up to date drivers for my nvidia gtx260 graphic card. has anybody any experience with this monitor and has realised my mistake. I also have a blu ray player connected to the monitor HDMI to HDMI.
hope someone can help, cheers chaps and chapesses.
Stan.

So you're not getting it with the blu-ray player? Try looking for a sharpness setting in the menu.

Thank You for the reply EndlessWaves. i have only played a few minutes of a lord of the rings dvd to see how the upscaling was, and wasn't impressed to be honest so i not sure if the problem is affecting the playback image of the dvd as well. confused and frustrated am i.
Regards Stan

hi EndlessWaves
i tried altering the sharpness but it did not work.
there is a setting on the monitor call resolution which is greyed out and not accesible to me. I am wondering if this is the one i need to alter, but i may have somehow deemed unusable.
Stan

How are you converting the dvi to hdmi? Why are you also connecting the vga input and what are you connecting with it?

Set the screen resolution in the tv to native or bitmap. Remove all overscan/underscan from your graphics settings in the pc.

Welcome to AVForums!

How are you converting the dvi to hdmi? Why are you also connecting the vga input and what are you connecting with it?

Set the screen resolution in the tv to native or bitmap. Remove all overscan/underscan from your graphics settings in the pc.

Welcome to AVForums!
hi there and thank you for the reply. i'l take a breath now as this is where my lack of knowledge with these things is exposed.

the only involvment with hdmi is directly from the blu ray player to the t.v.

the pc has a connector with 15 pin vga into the tv, and DVI-A male from the p.c. just one cable,different connector on either end.(dont intend to be fascecious (sp) there,jst trying to make myself clear.

could a problem be that the DVI-A is the wrong type and should actually be a DVI-D,i wonder.
Thank You Spyder,
Regards Stan.

Last edited:
Take a look here Digital Visual Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to check what you've got. To check out the tv, try just using the bluray player hdmi-hdmi.
Thank You again Spyder viewer.
i played a dvd (havent got a blu ray disc yet) and it was fine the only connections involved where HDMI from monitor to blu ray player. vga to monitor disconnected.

i reconnected the vga cable to the monitor,leaving the blu ray player connected as well,rebooted the p.c. and still have the ghosting problem.

i read the link you posted about d.v.i.
my p.c. has DVI-I from the graphics card and the connector i am using is DVI-A.
do you think this is the problem.
Regards Stan.

there is a setting on the monitor call resolution which is greyed out and not accesible to me. I am wondering if this is the one i need to alter, but i may have somehow deemed unusable.
Stan

No, that setting is likely for scaling of non-native resolutions and it being greyed out confirms that you're feeding it the native resolution (which is the best choice).

You're not likely to be doing anything wrong with the VGA connection (including the DVI-A end) as you'd probably get no picture at all if you were. VGA is analogue so it may be a very poor quality cable or a monitor that doesn't convert it very well though.

If possible I would try the HDMI cable between your PC and monitor as that'll help narrow down where the problem is.

Could you describe what you mean by 'ghosting'? It does have a specific meaning when applied to monitors so it won't hurt to check that what you're describing is actually what we're assuming it is.

I was going to ask the question about your ghosting too!

When I connect my monitor via VGA on some games I can see slight horizontal lines slowly moving, not really that noticable but its deff there! (is that the type of thing you mean by ghosting?)

When its plugged in using HDMI using same resolution, I cant see any lines! I just assumed its the amount of information being transmitted using old tech! VGA is so... 90s :)

Don't think you can use the vga on your tv. You need to get a dvi to hdmi convertor. Make sure it's the right sex!

Don't think you can use the vga on your tv. You need to get a dvi to hdmi convertor. Make sure it's the right sex!

hi guys.
thank you all for your help i really do appreciate it.the problem was the cable i was using i.e. the vga to dvi-a connector. the guys at maplins figured out that it was indeed a hdmi to dvi cable i needed.got home plugged the cable in and "it worked beautifully,no ghosting or blurr"
thanks again guys
Stan.

Maplin? Bet it cost more than the TV! ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom