1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG LHT6740 600 Watt home cinema system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nits2004, Sep 7, 2005.

1. nits2004

nits2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Sorry, not great with this stuff.......I plan to get a home cinema system, does anyone have one of the above systems? I live in a terraced house, so would a 600w system be too much???. Or would i need to go higher?

http://www.didstore.com/store_cat.asp?catid=2

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    It's important to get a power rating based on an accepted standard, before you can compare power outputs of any equipment.

Check the RMS power output of the amplifier section by looking for a statement such as: "Continuous Power Output All Channels Driven into 8 Ohms, 20Hz-20KHz".

You should also be looking for a THD (Distortion) figure quoted at a certain power level.

It's not unknown for some manufacturers to beef up their "power" ratings to make the specs look good.

For a small/medium room I would say 40 watts per channel RMS into 8 Ohms all channels driven 20Hz-20KHz at less than 0.01% distortion would be ok. The sub should be a bit more than that however.

If the seller/manufacturer can't/won't supply this info, be prepared to walk away, unless you get a written agreement to get your money back in full when the thing sounds too weedy when you get it home!