1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG LCD TV Showstopper problem!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by moveq, May 1, 2005.

1. moveq

moveq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I recently purchased an LG RZ-37LZ30 LCD TV and after a few weeks of use got a digital terrestrial receiver when got tired with the blurry image produced by the analog tuner. After getting the new digital receiver I also had a bit more time to fiddle with the TV and check the PQ with different inputs. This is when the TV got me pretty much shocked. Sources connected to the two SCARTS or the Composite input seem to introduce severe deinterlacing problems! :eek: This occurs also when inputting via s-video but it doesn't seem to be that severe. Although may be that I didn't have good enough material to reproduce the effect to the same extent. Naturally this problem vanishes when inputting progressive signal via DVI or VGA. The TV's own analog tuner also produces the same problem but it's not so visible due to the blurriness.

The problem is very strange since it seems to vary according to the content being displayed. On some channels the problem goes away for maybe ten seconds and then comes back for just about the same amount of time. This then keeps repeating. When the problem occurs the frame rate seems to drop to about half and all motion is *JITTERY*. :( On one local music channel the problem seems to be constantly there. I managed to get a good still pic of a scrolling text field showing the problem on that channel, the image is attached. BTW, tested also with outputting composite signal from computer and the problem was there, so it's not a problem with the transmissions..

Visually the problem looks the same as transferring video from an interlacing MiniDV camcorder with deinterlace switched off. Every other line appears to be lagging behind.

I've tried to turn off all picture processing but nothing seems to help.. Any ideas what's up with the set or any similar problems with LCD TVs?

After paying 2300 euros for the set this is certainly not what I expected to be getting... :thumbsdow

Regards,

Movq

Attached Files:

2. moveq

moveq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I found out that the digital receiver (Thomson DTI551A) is also able to output RGB via its scart output. LG's manual states that scart1 / AV1 input can take in RGB. Strangely however also this combination results in the same symptoms as with interlaced signal. It is almost as if the TV cannot decide whether it's getting interlaced or progressive input and periodically changes its mind. The picture via RGB is noticeable more accurate but still I'd like to get rid of the problem.

I guess I could go round the problem by getting an RGB-SCART to DSub-15 cable and plug into the VGA connection. This should atleast work or am I wrong? If I go this way I'd only have two usable inputs (DVI and VGA). :(

The thing I really cannot understand is that even using the internal analogue tuner causes the same problem. Could this be some sort of software problem that might be fixed with an firmware update?

Any help or even comments? :lease:

Movq

3. moveq

moveq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Went to the dealer to check the if the TV they had on display had the same problem. It did. Turns out all of these sets have that fault and no software patch available yet. No options then but to return the set, didn't want to start the long wait to see if a patch is someday going to surface. It's a shame though, without this fault I would have been very happy with this set.

Apparently this was the first set of this type that got returned to the dealer because of this particular problem. People are probably thinking it's the broadcast and not the TV with the prob. and trying to live with it. Good thing that I decided to investigate what's going on.

Just wanted to post the conclusion if anybody else is trying to figure out the same thing.

Movq

4. frifa

frifa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also noticed this problem but rarely. Instead the most serious problem for me is the colour banding. This problem is due to high contrast in digital panels (LCD or PLASMA) but in this set is excessive in dark scenes.

I have bought this object in January 2005 and after four months I have drawn some conclusions.

The chips inside the set are not exploited by the firmware in the best way.

If you view the electrical scheme, the two most important chips are the deinterlacer FLI2300 (Faroudja is one of the best deinterlacer) and the scaler Rembrandt-I by oplus (see at www.oplus.com for technical datas).

These chips are excellent and it doesn't seem that LG has been made economical choice.

Can you access the service menu for verify firmware version of your set
    (press menu on remote and simultaneously on set for five seconds) ?

P.S. For blurried images: try to view a low resolution movie on a LCD monitor for PC that has a resolution of 1280x1024? How is ? Blurried obviously due to the scaling interplation. :)

(excuse me for english but i'm italian).

frifa.

5. moveq

moveq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In my case the de-interlacing problem was almost constantly visible on few channels. The icehockey world championchips were a nightmare to watch. Mine didn't have any problems with dark colours though, perhaps I got a set with a newer panel.

Not able to do that anymore as I returned the set. I am now looking for a new set, and trying to be very cautious. :rolleyes:

Movq