LG LB6500 not able to passthrough DD from another HDMI port

eoga

Hello, I hope someone could help to see if my TV I able to do what I want or not. I have an LG 55LB6500, which I used to be connected to an old Sony soundbar, using the ARC port, and everything was working well, I was receiving DD from the TV and because my Fire TV was connected directly to the soundbar into a secondary HDMI I was receiving DD from the firetv as well.

Now I have upgraded my old soundbar to a Sonos ARC, but because this one only has one HDMI port, I was able to only connect the TV, using the ARC HDMI port, to the soundbar and had to connect my FireTv to another HDMI port in the TV, but now I only received DD 5.1 using the TV apps If I use the fireTV it only transmits PCM stereo. Shouldn't it passthrough DD 5.1 from the other HDMI ports through the HDMI ARC connected to the soundbar?

I can have DD 5.1 for Netflix and Amazon, but because the TV is quiet old, 2015 I think, it doesn't have Disney+ or HBO Max, so for this, I have to use my FireTV but I would like to have at least DD 5.1 sound and not only PCM Stereo. Is there any way I can work around this?

next010

Distinguished Member
You must change the digital sound output from PCM to Auto in LG sound settings, that enables DD 5.1 for HDMI-ARC.

eoga

You must change the digital sound output from PCM to Auto in LG sound settings, that enables DD 5.1 for HDMI-ARC.
It is configured to Auto. I do receive DD 5.1 but only using the TV apps but not from anything else connected to the other TV HDMI ports, so not sure if I am missing something or the TV is just not able to passthrough DD 5.1 from the other HDMI ports

next010

Distinguished Member
It is configured to Auto. I do receive DD 5.1 but only using the TV apps but not from anything else connected to the other TV HDMI ports, so not sure if I am missing something or the TV is just not able to passthrough DD 5.1 from the other HDMI ports

You probably have to configure the FireTV to send DD via its own settings, it it doesn't offer such a setting try a factory reset of the device so its forced to rescan the TV for its supported features.

eoga

You probably have to configure the FireTV to send DD via its own settings, it it doesn't offer such a setting try a factory reset of the device so its forced to rescan the TV for its supported features.
ok the FireTV has 4 options (Best available, PCM, DD+ and DD). It was configured to use the best available (Auto), with this configuration it will only send Stereo PCM then I tried DD+ and got no sounds so I guess my TV cannot passthrough DD+. Finally, I tried DD and I was able to get DD 5.1 on my Sonos ARC. It seems that the only way to get surround sound from the FireTV through the TV ARC to my Sonos is by forcing the FireTV otherwise it will choose to pass PCM 2.0 instead of DD 5.1. It is a shame that my TV doesn't seem to support DD+.

Thanks, @next010 for your recommendation.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom